All Cantillon & 3 Fonteinen pulled from Ebay

Reads 53919 • Replies 369 • Started Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:36:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 15:30 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by Mavajo
Okay, in fairness, I’m assuming the RB trading community at large is similar to the BA trading community, especially since there’s significant overlap between the two. I’m a BA regular posting here because the topic interests me and its verboten to discuss eBay over there.

Also, yes, obviously there are people on the up-and-up. But I’m making an observation based on the trading community at large.

They’re much different communities, in trading and in many other ways. Get to know it before being so critical of it. I’ve done 100+ trades here and 30+ on BA. The level of hype, panic, gouging, underhanded dealing is far, far higher on BA. This is a more relaxed place that has seen increased trade traffic and some silliness after an influx of BA users alienated and restricted by the Alstroms. Most trading here is done between established partners. It takes a while. By in large, I’ve experienced nothing but fairness and generosity from traders here. I wouldn’t have over 100 trades otherwise.

Sean9689
beers 286 º places 12 º 15:42 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by craytonic
Anyone tried mybeercellar.com ?

Places like this will be the "next eBay" I imagine...

b3shine
beers 12178 º places 372 º 15:47 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by phaleslu
They’re much different communities, in trading and in many other ways.

This is a fact. And that’s why RB is home for me (along with everyone else in our tasting group).

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 15:50 Tue 7/31/2012

http://www.mybeercellar.com/?itm=234

$180? R U Jokin or wat?

Mavajo
15:54 Tue 7/31/2012

Okay, in fairness, I’m assuming the RB trading community at large is similar to the BA trading community, especially since there’s significant overlap between the two. I’m a BA regular posting here because the topic interests me and its verboten to discuss eBay over there.

Also, yes, obviously there are people on the up-and-up. But I’m making an observation based on the trading community at large.

They’re much different communities, in trading and in many other ways. Get to know it before being so critical of it. I’ve done 100+ trades here and 30+ on BA. The level of hype, panic, gouging, underhanded dealing is far, far higher on BA. This is a more relaxed place that has seen increased trade traffic and some silliness after an influx of BA users alienated and restricted by the Alstroms. Most trading here is done between established partners. It takes a while. By in large, I’ve experienced nothing but fairness and generosity from traders here. I wouldn’t have over 100 trades otherwise.

Based on everything I’ve heard from other sources and seen with my own eyes, you’re wearing some rose colored glasses.

kryptic
15:57 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by monsterzero
Why aren’t buyers vilified the way that sellers are?

Because the small but vocal anti-ebay crowd know that many if not most of the buyers on ebay are well repected, long time members of ratebeer that they would never dare speak out against, so they blame the evil faceless sellers instead. Its all pretty funny really.

iowaherkeye
beers 2703 º places 29 º 15:59 Tue 7/31/2012

Based on everything I’ve heard from other sources and seen with my own eyes, you’re wearing some rose colored glasses.

I disagree.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 16:13 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by BlackIPA

http://www.mybeercellar.com/?itm=234

$180? R U Jokin or wat?

That’s the first batch, so I guess it’s moar wales?

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 16:20 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by b3shine

You’re a moron. When I want to hear from an asshole, I’ll fart.

There are certainly some morons on both sites. There are also plenty of really great people on both sites.

I’ve completed a significant number of trades on both sites, though I would say many more on BA since I didn’t really start trading on RB until I really started slowing down on it. People’s generosity has been about equal on both sites.

Things are just a lot different between the two for a lot of obvious reasons: more people posting trade threads daily, different user mentalities, experience level of membership base, age level of membership base...I could go on.

One isn’t inherently better than the other, because some people really prefer the level of action that BA has, that so many trades are for rare beers, that so much trading is done publicly, etc. Some people prefer the more behind the scenes, laid back, relationship based atmosphere of RB.

b3shine
beers 12178 º places 372 º 16:30 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by womencantsail
Some people prefer the more behind the scenes, laid back, relationship based atmosphere of RB.

BA is a shit show. Regardless of how diplomatic our admin (and especially joet) are when referencing it - and I commend them for it - the other site is a cesspool chock full of the lowest common denominators. My wife often says ratebeer is like a male soap opera. And in some ways she’s right. But if that’s true, BA is Jerry Springer.