All Cantillon & 3 Fonteinen pulled from Ebay

Reads 53928 • Replies 369 • Started Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:36:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

craytonic
13:14 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by nimbleprop
I think the difference in their eyes would be that there is no ’victim’ when passionate beer person A trades beer with passionate beer person B. It starts to suck for everyone when dispassionate douceh-nozzle A sells beer he doesn’t want to passionate beer person B for an exorbitant fee.

I’m not sure there is any victim here, besides brewers who intentionally under-price beers to create hype and demand - and I wouldn’t even call them a victim since they intentionally bring it upon themselves knowing what the outcome would be but decide they want the publicity.

So what about people that just go to releases to get beers to trade? Perhaps they don’t like the released beer but think they can trade for something they can? What if passionate beer person A sells his beer to passionate beer person B, and then passionate beer person A goes and buys the beer he wants (and so on)? It isn’t like anyone puts a gun to someone’s head and say buy this on eBay, everyone is free not to bid and the prices will either go down or the sellers will go away. I’ve frankly bought a few bottles because it is easier to get new releases there than deal with the hassle of "douche-nozzels" who have beer they don’t want but want an exorbitant beer in return for.

Simple economics tells us it is really the brewer’s fault for how they price their goods. If there is a limited supply of x and it sold for y, don’t be surprised that people that value it a y+n want to buy it from those who would rather have the money to spend on more beer, or gas, or whatever. I’m sure I’m not the only one who likes to try new releases but, when you figure in work, family and community commitments, just can’t carve out a full day to go stand in line somewhere for a darklord. But if there is some kid that has the time, but perhaps needs a bit of gas money, was going anyways and doesn’t mind selling one of his bottles to cover costs, I think it is great for us to have a way to both walk away happy.

Wine would have the same problem if you say, sold every bottle of opus one for $10 on one day (say retail is $200), suddenly there would be a bunch of people looking to buy it, and a bunch of people looking to sell it. Instead, they price it intelligently so that it should sell out the day the next vintage becomes available (in theory), allowing the winery to capture the most $ and basically eliminating the secondary market.

^^^ is how you end eBay sales of new releases (people wanting to unload older bottles after a couple years is a separate problem and I don’t see why they shouldn’t be able to sell what they no longer wants to the person who wants it the most / is willing to pay the most for it - economic efficiency at its best)

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 13:27 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by b3shine
Originally posted by miketd
I’ve said this for a long time - brewers should just charge more at the release for these beers.

This. You don’t see 3 Floyds bitching about the secondary market.

Actually, a couples brewers and employees of Three Floyds indicated on twitter that they were QUITE HAPPY about the eBay changes.

That’s a lot different than complaining and going on the offensive IMO.

kryptic
13:46 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by nimbleprop
Originally posted by kryptic

On another note, I am also confused as to why Hill Farmstead, Vinnie, etc, aren’t pissed about the exact same thing happening on the trade forums, and to a MUCH greater degree. Why go after just ebay, and not the trade forums as well, which are much worse?

I think the difference in their eyes would be that there is no ’victim’ when passionate beer person A trades beer with passionate beer person B. It starts to suck for everyone when dispassionate douceh-nozzle A sells beer he doesn’t want to passionate beer person B for an exorbitant fee.

But, as I pointed out, for each bottle auctioned on ebay, there are dozens of the same bottle auctioned on RB/BA trade forums, and often times the total cost is higher on the trade forums than it would be to just buy it on ebay. So in reality the traders are the ones asking for the exhorbitant fees FAR more often than the ebayers are. And who is really to say who is more passionate aboiut the hobby?

FrumptyDumpty
13:48 Thu 8/2/2012

This thread is dumb yo

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 13:51 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
This thread is dumb yo

I just put your beer up on ebay.

kryptic
13:54 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan
Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
This thread is dumb yo

I just put your beer up on ebay.

I did too. With the disclaimer that his beer is not American, and thus not craft beer.

MadIndian
beers 2743 º places 46 º 17:43 Thu 8/2/2012

I have to say. I bought a lot of beer from ebay. I would have never been able to taste all the Three Floyds or Sam adams Millenium or even some cigar city had it not been for ebay. Because I found Three Floyd’s beers so good, I bought shirts and glass wear from their site. Ebay brought them another fan. I was looking forward to oredering Hills Farm, but to hell with them.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 18:53 Thu 8/2/2012

I’ve never bought or sold a beer on eBay, so this whole topic is kind of boring to me. Scrolled past.

DocLock
beers 11541 º places 158 º 19:21 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by monsterzero
Originally posted by DocLock
I want ALL beer sales removed from eBay, and my understanding was that this was happening as we speak. When rare beers become an eBay commodity, just like rare toys or action figures or comic books, then the bottom-feeders come out of the woodwork, many of who have no respect or understanding of the beers they are selling, they do not work gainfully for a living, they just want to make a quick buck. These scumbags are the same people fighting kids in Toys-R-Us for the limited edition Hulk Hogan figure or the limited Matchbox car. These assholes, and those that choose to defend them, can fuck off as far as I am concerned. This is not capitalism. It is dickball.

Please tell us how you feel about the buyers.

I see the sellers as dicks, and the buyers as masters of fellatio.

Alen
places 1 º 17:38 Fri 8/3/2012

Originally posted by BBB63
Originally posted by Alen
Stop being haters and mind your own business.

A beer site... methinks most of us think it is our business.

Glad you can afford $200 for a beer, many of us can not.
You are coming off as a major league prick on this forum, just saying.

I can afford it (well barely), and you’re hating me for being able to afford it. So you go around ruining it for me, as well as others, to be able to buy it. That makes you a worse prick and a cunt at the same time.