Anti-New England IPA opinions

Reads 11554 • Replies 124 • Started Saturday, March 5, 2016 1:25:52 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Ibrew2or3
beers 10533 º places 353 º 20:52 Sat 3/5/2016

Originally posted by michcam8
i love murk and haze and turbid. more flavors. better looking. and i dont think its lazy brewing at all.

I’m in this camp. I’ve had some amazing turbid brackish looking beers.

Reynolds314
beers 3472 º places 41 º 05:12 Sun 3/6/2016

Calling these ipa brewers lazy is like calling a chef making a medium rare steak lazy. People obviously like them more as evident by the ratings and the demand. Its not like they couldnt make the beers crystal clear but they choose not to.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 06:32 Sun 3/6/2016

Originally posted by Reynolds314
Its not like they couldnt make the beers crystal clear but they choose not to.

I agree with the first part of your post but are you so sure about this?

I have seen more than a few claim that their beers look like that because they have to, because 5# of hops per barrel, because heady yeast, because unfiltered, etc.

Now I think some of that is marketing but I could see it being equally possible that they can’t or don’t know how to make clearer versions of the same beer whether they want to or not.

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 07:11 Sun 3/6/2016

Cellarmaker is making as good or better beer than I’ve had from any of these turbid NEPA producers, and their beer looks like it should. I agree that it’s lazy brewing, and I score the ugliness accordingly in the appearance category.

I’ve also noticed that the milky IPAs that look like yeast bombs are a bit thicker in consistency and don’t finish as dry, which I prefer (although there are exceptions to my preferences).

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 09:49 Sun 3/6/2016

Originally posted by Reynolds314
Calling these ipa brewers lazy is like calling a chef making a medium rare steak lazy. People obviously like them more as evident by the ratings and the demand. Its not like they couldnt make the beers crystal clear but they choose not to.

Literally, all most of the brewers of big hop bombs (5+ lbs/bbl) are doing to get clarity is fining. Carrageenan in the kettle, and one of 3 types of finings in the cellar to get the yeast to drop out. After having made several beers that are over 10 lbs/bbl I am convinced that hop haze is a complete fallacy. There is literally no IPA that one can’t get clear with a small amount of effort.

Besides the obvious reluctance I have to drinking these from a vanity standpoint, I also hate what it does to my poor stomach. Absolutely kills my gut.

Stine
beers 1810 º places 259 º 12:38 Sun 3/6/2016

HF level haze works just fine for me, Tree House is too much. I think I unintentionally, and probably mistakenly, associate HF’s distinctive soft texture with that appearance.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 13:50 Sun 3/6/2016

i love murk and haze and turbid. more flavors. better looking. and i dont think its lazy brewing at all.

Some people don’t notice or mind the taste of autolyzed yeast. Others find it disgusting to drink something that tastes like paint.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 13:57 Sun 3/6/2016

Originally posted by 3fourths

Some people don’t notice or mind the taste of autolyzed yeast. Others find it disgusting to drink something that tastes like paint.

For someone that doesn’t have a reference point, what exactly does paint taste like? Would be curious if it varies by brand or type as well.

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 14:14 Sun 3/6/2016

Originally posted by 3fourths

I prefer oil based over latex, you?

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 14:17 Sun 3/6/2016

Originally posted by DietPepsican
what exactly does paint taste like?

Metal, chemicals, mud, raw brewers yeast, Vegemite... I guess it’s more an aroma/flavor problem than taste problem, since the taste and texture profile of yeast to me is acidic, pulpy, "zesty", etc.