Are beer geeks really "dangerous extremophiles"?

Reads 23899 • Replies 168 • Started Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:15:09 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

rpattinson
beers 84 º 22:20 Tue 2/1/2011

Originally posted by Rustyham
I loved this comment from the blgo:

Originally posted by JBoxton:
Yes, we DO brew the best beers here. You English snobs think sitting at your stupid pubs drinking milds, bitters and ESBs (which all taste the same) is the only way to enjoy a beer. How about some DIVERSITY?? Arguing with you is like arguing with an infant about physics. Your one track, tunnel vision knowledge of beer is too one dimensional to try and explain to you. Go have some tea and crumpets.

I loved it too. Breathtaking in its stupidity. From someone who - apparently through grim determination - managing to completely miss the point of the article. He didn’t do RateBeer any favours.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12091 º places 543 º 04:43 Wed 2/2/2011

Originally posted by rpattinson
Originally posted by JBoxton:
Yes, we DO brew the best beers here. You English snobs think sitting at your stupid pubs drinking milds, bitters and ESBs (which all taste the same) is the only way to enjoy a beer. How about some DIVERSITY?? Arguing with you is like arguing with an infant about physics. Your one track, tunnel vision knowledge of beer is too one dimensional to try and explain to you. Go have some tea and crumpets.

I loved it too. Breathtaking in its stupidity. From someone who - apparently through grim determination - managing to completely miss the point of the article. He didn’t do RateBeer any favours.

Meh - it’s the Internet. You need to look through the chaff to find the wheat, but there are still some good arguments on both sides of the coin. UK brewing is more than milds and bitters (actually, I ’d love to see more mild, but that’s a digression for another time). US brewing is more than imperial stouts. Ratebeer is more than it’s best of or it’s top 50 or it’s more obnoxious members - we’re a pretty diverse group actually - I think that’s the part of the original article that got so many people’s back up.

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 05:11 Wed 2/2/2011

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Ratebeer is more than it’s best of or it’s top 50 or it’s more obnoxious members - we’re a pretty diverse group actually - I think that’s the part of the original article that got so many people’s back up.

Thats whats annoying me the most about the beer scene at the moment.

There too many people who think X is wrong and Bad for the beer scene, just because the appear to want something different from them.

Hes not the first person ive seen who has bad things to say about ratebeer, but there plenty UK people here who have bad things to Say about CAMRA.

I dont know why people cant just take what they want from the beer scene and allow others to enjoy beer in there own way.

Some people only want to drink 1 or 2 beer, and are not interested in trying new things, while others want to try as many beers as they can.

some people only want to drink 1 style of beer, where as other want to try all the styles.

No one person or group of people are right, the beer scene and the world on the whole is much more complex than that.

To each there own enjoyment. We all want the same thing in the end. To enjoy good beer. All be it each of our definitions of good beer may vary.

wickedpete
beers 636 º places 5 º 05:33 Wed 2/2/2011

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
I dont know why people cant just take what they want from the beer scene and allow others to enjoy beer in there own way.

This is the most well said thing by anyone so far in this matter.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 06:34 Wed 2/2/2011

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Ratebeer is more than it’s best of or it’s top 50 or it’s more obnoxious members - we’re a pretty diverse group actually - I think that’s the part of the original article that got so many people’s back up.

Thats whats annoying me the most about the beer scene at the moment.

There too many people who think X is wrong and Bad for the beer scene, just because the appear to want something different from them.

Hes not the first person ive seen who has bad things to say about ratebeer, but there plenty UK people here who have bad things to Say about CAMRA.

Some people only want to drink 1 or 2 beer, and are not interested in trying new things, while others want to try as many beers as they can.

some people only want to drink 1 style of beer, where as other want to try all the styles.

No one person or group of people are right, the beer scene and the world on the whole is much more complex than that.

To each there own enjoyment. We all want the same thing in the end. To enjoy good beer. All be it each of our definitions of good beer may vary.

I have purposely not replied on this thread even though I have read all 17 pages of it, but this is the best thing Craig has ever said and I just wanted to point that out.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 08:29 Wed 2/2/2011

Originally posted by Schroppfy
Pailhead makes some great points about self-selection in our ratings. I don’t understand gunhaver’s thinking - maybe it is an anything goes idea. But this is not the opposite of Tibeerious’ (correct) claim that rarity and price will influence ratings (also Pailhead’s point). Anything doesn’t go - there are serious psychological effects when we are talking about rare beer and rare effort.

More pils don’t crack the top 100 because pils can’t stay fresh for long enough.

When I had Oakham White Dwarf on draft very fresh at Spuyten Duyvil I was blown away. Beers like this, incredibly fresh, flavorful beers - extreme even - these would garner higher ratings if more people could experience them. At least I hope so.

Kevin, in hone of your awesome posts I have to go find some Skinny Puppy to play or something.

what i’m saying is pretty simple. tibeerious Socratic-methoded the conversation into a dull corner, so what i’m basically trying to get at is that perception affects everyone’s score here in some way, regardless of how objective you may try to approach things, and no rating is perfect or pure, and while rarity and price may affect someone’s score, there’s no real way to determine how much it does.

and you’re right on about pils. one of the big reasons why lighter styles don’t get better ratings is the lack of exposure to quality fresh beers to a wide audience. but is that the fault of the average beer geek for not having immediate access to high-quality pilsners or milds or bitters or whatever? it’s just a bit frustrating to see these english bloggers whine about americans not rating those beers high when we really don’t have many good ones available to us anyway

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:42 Wed 2/2/2011

YES YES YES

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 10:56 Wed 2/2/2011

Originally posted by harrisoni

I have purposely not replied on this thread even though I have read all 17 pages of it, but this is the best thing Craig has ever said and I just wanted to point that out.

why thanks you Ian

ive expanded on this in the blog ive recently started
http://make-mine-a-half.blogspot.com/2011/02/lets-not-fight.html