Are these German meads rateable?

Reads 1189 • Replies 12 • Started Monday, June 26, 2017 11:03:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Rasmus40
beers 34334 º places 722 º 11:03 Mon 6/26/2017

I saw a lot of bottles from http://www.honig-met.de/ in a shop a couple of months ago, but they were a bit pricey, and I couldn’t find them here on RB. I have since done a bit of searching, and found out that the "brewer", Honig-Met & Trinkhörner, was actually listed on RB, but with only one beer and no meads.

I can see that some of the meads in the "Specials" section of their website are mixed with various fruit juices. Are these rateable, or is that not allowed on RB?

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 11:13 Mon 6/26/2017

Are you talking about these: http://www.honig-met.de/produkte/mischungen/ ?

The only one there that seems like maybe it wouldn’t be legit is the Chivan, but all the others seem legit in terms of the product descriptions. If the producer is already listed on RB, then I’d think the meads are fine to add. For instance, the Erdbeerkonigin description of 60% honey wine and 40% strawberry wine seems pretty typical for a melomel. A lot of times this sort of description is just required to be formatted that way by law, even though all the honey and fruit/fruit juice/fruit puree were mixed together in the must for primary fermentation.

Nightfall
beers 1313 º places 45 º 11:25 Mon 6/26/2017

https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/metbrauerei-andre-striewski/13679/

I think as long as the main ingredient (at least 50% ) is honey they should be ok. If the main fermentable is a fruit (or the juice whatever mixed in is more than 50% ) then probably not. I think the discussion had been repeated in the past and grey areas still apply :D

SinH4
beers 15466 º places 416 º 11:55 Mon 6/26/2017

come on, we even allow the Pyments by Superstition to be rated, and they are 90% grape wine and 10% mead...

bytemesis
beers 15314 º places 1595 º 12:06 Mon 6/26/2017

Originally posted by SinH4
come on, we even allow the Pyments by Superstition to be rated, and they are 90% grape wine and 10% mead...

It’s about the % of fermentable sugar. 50% must come from honey.

Since honey is basically just sugar, that’s a fairly low bar

SinH4
beers 15466 º places 416 º 12:17 Mon 6/26/2017

Originally posted by bytemesis

So assuming I use a wine that has fully finished fermentation, I can use 99.9% wine and 0.1% honey and it will be a rateable mead?

Or does the sugar content of the wine pre-fermentation count? I would argue it shouldn’t, since you use the finished wine in a Pyment, not the unfermented grape juice.

Rasmus40
beers 34334 º places 722 º 13:49 Mon 6/26/2017

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I’ll take that as a yes

fonefan
beers 74071 º places 698 º 15:17 Mon 6/26/2017

Originally posted by Rasmus40
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I’ll take that as a yes

Maybe ask fiulijn ... i know he used quite some time on the meads in Germany a few years back ... think there are a lot off label meads according to Alex.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 16:23 Mon 6/26/2017

Originally posted by SinH4
Originally posted by bytemesis

So assuming I use a wine that has fully finished fermentation, I can use 99.9% wine and 0.1% honey and it will be a rateable mead?

Or does the sugar content of the wine pre-fermentation count? I would argue it shouldn’t, since you use the finished wine in a Pyment, not the unfermented grape juice.

As Mike said, the percentage of the fermentables is what traditionally what makes something a mead vs. a fruit wine (or other type of beverage). Depending upon the sugar contents of the grape juice and the honey, it is possible that the fermentable portion of a must consisting of 90% grape juice and 10% honey could have 50% or more fermentable sugars from the honey. The folks at Superstition provided us some details on the math for the Aphrodisia products a couple of years back, and if you do some basic research on to sugar contents for honey and grape juice, you can see it pencils out as well.

In the case of blending finished wine with honey you’re not dealing with mead, but with a mix of (fruit) wine and mead. And that’s if the honey is actually fermented. If you just sweeten the wine with honey, then it’s just sweetened wine.

The TTB has some good FAQs regarding mead labeling and laws (for the US, anyway):

What is the appropriate designation for a product consisting of honey wine blended with fruit wine (such as blueberry wine)?

"This product does not fall under any of the standards of identity in 27 CFR part 4, and thus must be labeled with a truthful and adequate statement of composition, such as "blueberry wine – honey wine," "blueberry wine and honey wine" or "blueberry wine – mead." In this instance, TTB would not approve a label with the term "blueberry mead" as either a fanciful name or as a designation because it would be misleading as to the identity of the wine."

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 23:30 Mon 6/26/2017

Most has been said...
As Nighfall said, the producer is actually Metbrauerei André Striewski, "Honig-Met & Trinkhörner" is just the name of the webpage not of the company (I assume).
Striewski is, according to what I could find back then, a real producer (client meadery), while others use his mead and relabel it.
We’ll clean this up.

Rateable?
At a quick glance every product I saw (I didn’t look for all of them) looks rateable, provided that you don’t add products already listed under Striewski.
Indeed the Chivan is described in a suspicious way. In absence of further info we may allow it.

50%-50%
if you use a tool like the "mead calculator" you will see that every ingredient (unfermented) has a different concentration of sugar; 100g of honey has more sugar than 100g of apple juice.
We want to list mead where the amount of fermentable sugar is at least (roughly) 50% from honey.
Therefore, before fermentation, the weight/volume of honey may be much less than the weight/volume of grape juiced (this was explained above); but it doesn’t mean that any ratio is acceptable.

Blend
Along the lines of what brokensail said, I think that blending fermented wine (rather than juice) to honey-to-be-fermented or to mead is against the spirit of mead and pyment, it’s a fortified mead, or a cocktail if you prefer.
If you are aware of such products please message an admin.

A good example is Melitites: wine must is fermented halfway, then honey is added (honeydew honey), about 30% of honey to 70% of partially fermented must, and then the fermentation proceeds to completion.
I calculated, knowing the sugar content of that typical grape must, that the honey contributes for about 50% of the fermentable sugars.

SinH4
beers 15466 º places 416 º 03:09 Tue 6/27/2017

Originally posted by fiulijn

Blend
Along the lines of what brokensail said, I think that blending fermented wine (rather than juice) to honey-to-be-fermented or to mead is against the spirit of mead and pyment, it’s a fortified mead, or a cocktail if you prefer.
If you are aware of such products please message an admin.

That is exactly what I wanted to read. Thanks!
(it was a hypothetical question)