Are you a harsh rater?

Reads 4690 • Replies 93 • Started Friday, March 31, 2017 12:29:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Jow
beers 7343 º places 487 º 07:34 Fri 3/31/2017

I’m very middle of the road and non-confrontational in my rates much like my personality. I tend to rate high however my bell curve is steep and i have very view mid to high 4’s and few on low end as well making it look like most the beers i had are closer to middle. I’ve gotten a little harsher over the years so some of my higher rates are from early on. i wish i utilized the full spectrum of 1-5 more but its kind of too late at this point.

CLevar
places 23 º 07:58 Fri 3/31/2017

Yes

Ibrew2or3
beers 10533 º places 353 º 09:15 Fri 3/31/2017

Originally posted by Leighton
The best quick check on a user’s level of harshness is probably the

Average score given
Average score rated

Comparison

I think this gets skewed as you start rating more and more beer with very few ratings. That might be the case for me. I’m seeking out beer I’m pretty sure I’ll really like which works out to scores above 4.

The last beer I rated earned a 4.2. It looks like I’ll be the only one to rate it and it’s weighted average is 3.2. Delta = 1.0, pretty big.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 09:19 Fri 3/31/2017

Yeah, my scores have always been just below or right at the average score given. So I’m neither harsh nor generous.

The only exception is with really small, new breweries. If they’re bad, I’ll only rate one beer from them, even if I try everything they’re pouring, and I try not to go under 2.5 for it if I can.

GoufCustom
beers 3017 º places 128 º 09:58 Fri 3/31/2017

>> Do you think you’re a harsh rater?

Yes and no. I rate it like it is. If it is good , it is good. If it’s bad, I will say it loud but I won’t exaggerate.

>> Would you increase all your scores if you could?

I would re-rate a few beers I thought I dodn’t give it a objective judging the first time around. In gerenal, though, I am content with what I’ve rated.

>> Do you think the site algorithm should correct for harsher or more generous raters?

I am satisified with RB’s scoring mechanism, with more ratings on a beer it’s score will be evenly represented, so there’s no need for that.

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 09:58 Fri 3/31/2017

I probably subconsciously try and stay clear IRL of raters who rarely "dish out" 4.0+.
See the miserable boozer index on my profile here. Puritan scoring = a moral defect. Is my harsh meta-take on this.

Harsh or generous judging aside: chronologically listed in a fetish XLS, all those 2.7-3.8s piled up in a grey stack read as if you’ve been wasting away your drinking life waiting for a 4,0+ to come along, only to die an anhedonic joyvirgin who wouldn’t know how to communicate beerbliss rapture if it drowned you in Orval.

(Full disclosure: haven’t rated Orval as it would be a 4.8-5.0 and require a full essay)

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 10:09 Fri 3/31/2017

Average score given
Average score rated

Comparison

People can, of course, be both harsh and generous raters. I recall a power user here responding to accusations of homerism by pointing to this metric, when really all they had done was balanced a large number of generous scores for local beers with an equally large number of bad scores for pale lagers and other similar garbage.

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 10:11 Fri 3/31/2017

Average score given
Average score rated

Comparison

May I introduce my personal system for rater harshness:

Ratebeer Miserable Boozer/Bastard Index (MBI):
= amount of beers rated 3.9 or higher / Total Amount of Beers rated (in %)

Works like pH levels. If your MBI drops below 10%, start asking yourself some serious questions whether you still like drinking beer, are consciously seeking out quality or poor new stuff, or just like voicing disappointment with your (drinking) life in general.

Advanced MBI (AMBI): beers rated 4.0 or higher / Total beers rated

My MBI is: 538 / 3779 = 14%, pretty rosycheeked, happy-go-lucky
AMBI: 385 / 3779 = just 10%, a moral wake-up call.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 10:14 Fri 3/31/2017

I seldom use harsh words, even if the beer sucks.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 10:26 Fri 3/31/2017

I have changed many times over the years. Right now, I feel like I’m being pretty generous w/ 3+ scores. For a while, if I detected any sort of flavor flaw even if it was minor, I was busting everything down to below 2.7.

I tend to be more critical of stuff that is released at a super premium price. If you are asking people to spend enough to buy a case of craft beer for a single bottle and that beer tastes even very slightly of cardboard or day old coffee, fuck that beer.