Are you a harsh rater?

Reads 4686 • Replies 93 • Started Friday, March 31, 2017 12:29:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

I had some gateway beers that blew me away early in my beer adventure I scored them high, would I adjust the score? No way

tia
beers 2232 º places 168 º 15:03 Sat 4/1/2017

I never thought I was harsh- I had a system of rating each attribute then a way of blending them into an overall. The guys in my local area though started making jokes about me being harsh and when I look at my average vs. the beer average it is low (3.28/3.41). I have recently started trying to be "nicer" first deciding an overall of how much I like it, then making the other numbers fit.
I also used to rate macros less harshly than crafts because I didn’t expect much of them. And I am still harsher about styles I really like because I expect more, I guess.
I never thought about it that much before, but the 4 is kind of a threshold for me (though I’m trying not to let it be as much). I would also say going below a 2.8 is a threshold for me. It has to be pretty bad.
MBI- 12.6%, AMBI- 9.7% so not too miserable I guess.

rondphoto
beers 5177 º places 236 º 16:24 Sat 4/1/2017

My observation has been that a rating of 3.0 to 3.2 is an average beer (not 2.5), but to score above 4.0, the beer has to be in the top 2-3%.

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 17:33 Sat 4/1/2017

MBI of 23.11. Not great but not awful.

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 19:46 Sat 4/1/2017

Originally posted by The_Osprey
I am a big fan of the ’miserable boozer index’ as well as the terms ’anhedonic joy virgin’ and ’misseratings’. Big thanks to bartlebier for winning the thread!

Hah, cheers OP.
Happily surprised that the MBI is catching on. I’ve been using it for 2-3 years as an interesting tool for psycho-zythological self-reflection...

More recently, I’ve been trying to think up a clever function to correlate MBI (Miserable Boozer Index) with BMI (Body Mass Index) into a beerhealth-happiness coefficient of sorts...

However, I will probably hold off until I start running again before I dare see that formula’s consequences straight in the eye. Suggestions by more seasoned statisticians welcome!

As for your MBI, OP: it may be under 10%, but anyone who notes the surrounding atmosphere for a rating and records "While watching Chungking Express" can’t be that bad a miserrating booztard...

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 09:42 Sun 4/2/2017

I think the algorithm is just fine.
My score given falls right in line with the average score given, so I don’t think I’m overly generous or harsh.
I DO use just about the whole scale, though (i.e. my ratings don’t stop at say 1.2 and 4.3).
I also go back and adjust scores slightly at times if their is a significant change in the product. I did this when transferring all my rates over so at that time they were all accurate. I’ll never be able to keep up with batch variance, etc, but scoring and ranking beers is a lot of fun for me, so I want my rankings to be as accurate as possible).

sthlm
beers 790 º places 147 º 10:22 Sun 4/2/2017

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Why do kids get A* for exams these days?

The simple answer is that it’s because politicians want them to so they can show how wonderful their education policies are. When I was doing exams, grades were "norm-referenced". Translated into English that means that the higher grades were subject to quotas to some extent. But the scores required to get them were far lower. That means that papers were harder or marking was harsher (not much multiple choice back then). Or we were just a lot thicker. Whatever the truth of the matter, my perception of what constitutes a good score is still coloured by the way things were back then.

I have no idea what is happening in the UK, but I will say that grading is far more complicated than you may think. Traditional A-F grading systems in the United States have been deeply flawed and long in need of an overhaul. However, assigning scores of "A+" (I assume that is the same as an A*) is not the answer, and generally discouraged in most articles that I have read.

bytemesis
beers 15308 º places 1595 º 01:18 Mon 4/3/2017

AMBI = 22%
I LIKE BEER

mR_fr0g
beers 29120 º places 44 º 01:46 Mon 4/3/2017

Avg Score Given 3.38
Avg Beer Rated 3.38

MBI = 1329 / 10958 = 12.1%
AMBI = 871 / 10958 = 7.9%

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:02 Mon 4/3/2017

Originally posted by sthlm
I have no idea what is happening in the UK, but I will say that grading is far more complicated than you may think. Traditional A-F grading systems in the United States have been deeply flawed and long in need of an overhaul. However, assigning scores of "A+" (I assume that is the same as an A*) is not the answer, and generally discouraged in most articles that I have read.

I’m sure that’s all true. It’s an interesting discussion - I find it interesting anyway. But probably not one for this thread.