Barrel fermentation data

Reads 742 • Replies 8 • Started Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:50:11 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 21:50 Wed 3/30/2016

Hey folks-

Because I’m a nerd I thought I’d share some data MatSciGuy and I collected over the last two weeks or so.

These data are from four different barrels (MN, A1, A2, OO1) using three different cultures that we have been using (MN, A, OO). All barrels were filled on the same day using wort that began at 10.7 deg P, pH= 5.48, and an initial temp of 65 degrees F. Three of the barrels had been used for sour beer previously (A1, A2, OO1) and were emptied on the evening before we refilled (OO1) or the day we refilled (A1, A2). No additional souring microbes were added to the previously used barrels. ~1000ml of a culture slurry was added to the MN barrel on day one, and ~100ml of WLP007 was added to barrels MN, A1, and A2 to jump start the fermentation on day 4 (Note: This was due to the MN barrel smelling slightly acetic when we received it. I was worried, and when I didn’t see visible fermentation in 72 hours I wanted to ensure that I got some CO2 evolution going. Since I was messing with the MN barrel, I decided to add yeast to the A1 and A2 barrels as well.)

We monitored the pH and the temp in the barrels over time just to see how quickly they started acidifying. At three or four weeks I’ll be pulling samples to check the gravity, and then the long wait for the character to get where we want it to be!

HornyDevil
09:14 Fri 4/1/2016

Interesting comparisons. Apparently more people don’t share our level of nerdiness.

CLevar
places 23 º 10:06 Fri 4/1/2016

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Interesting comparisons. Apparently more people don’t share our level of nerdiness.

I guess silence is what I’ve come to expect as the response to posts in this forum. Ha!

skinnyguy
10:56 Fri 4/1/2016

Thanks for sharing!

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 13:41 Fri 4/1/2016

Awesome post, man. Let us know when you have updates.

Care to go into what type of barrels you’re using?

CLevar
places 23 º 16:30 Fri 4/1/2016

Originally posted by phredrik
Awesome post, man. Let us know when you have updates.

Care to go into what type of barrels you’re using?

They are all California red wine barrels, one is generic "American" oak, two are French oak, and the fourth is made of MN oak.

We’ve really enjoyed the French oak barrels we’ve used in the past. American oak seems to be hit and miss, but the MN barrel was by far the most dense wood that I have drilled through, so I have high hopes.

CLevar
places 23 º 15:21 Sat 4/23/2016

A little update:

our experience up to this point has been that previously inoculated barrels turn quite a bit quicker (as far as acidity is concerned), and these barrels are no exception

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 10:16 Sun 4/24/2016

What happened to OO1?

Or are you just trying to see if anyone is paying attention?

Good stuff. Thanks for the posts.

CLevar
places 23 º 10:31 Sun 4/24/2016

Originally posted by cquiroga
What happened to OO1?

Or are you just trying to see if anyone is paying attention?

Good stuff. Thanks for the posts.

OO1 is at another location, and I haven’t been able to check it as often.

Glad someone is paying attention though!

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer