Beer Cave

Reads 1016 • Replies 5 • Started Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:20:11 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SudsIsSweet
08:20 Thu 3/1/2012

I remember reading something about how ’once upon a time’ some Czech beer makers would conduct part of the brewing process in caves. I’ve been to a wine cellar near Znojmo where wine was stored in caverns, but never heard of a beer cave.

Does such a thing still exist?

Pivero
places 11 º 04:37 Fri 3/2/2012

Pivovar Klášter has fermenters and lagering tanks located in cellars carved underneath the brewery. Some of the tunnels date from the 12-13th century, while the newest are from, if I remember correctly, the 17th century. Chodovar also has at least part of the lagering tanks in a cave.

SudsIsSweet
06:52 Fri 3/2/2012

Originally posted by Pivero
Pivovar Klášter has fermenters and lagering tanks located in cellars carved underneath the brewery. Some of the tunnels date from the 12-13th century, while the newest are from, if I remember correctly, the 17th century. Chodovar also has at least part of the lagering tanks in a cave.

Thank you kindly. I will be in the CR this May and am looking for a walk-through that is different that the usual brewery tour. I hope these brewers allow visits.

SudsIsSweet
07:31 Fri 3/2/2012

BTW, was looking up the Chodovar brewery tours - they have the whole package, including a hotel and, get this, a beer spa that includes hot beer baths. http://www.praguebeergarden.com/czech-tours/post/beer-spa-chodovar

"The beer bath was definitely the best part. Individual or tubs for two are available. Once we entered, a kind woman instructed us to take our shoes off, and to change clothes, and wrap ourselves in a white sheet. Then, we hopped into our bath, which was a mix of hot mineral water, beer, and some grains from the beer fermentation process. They also gave us a small beer to sip in our bath. Not only was this extremely relaxing, but beer baths are also beneficial for your skin..."

Now that’s what I call being home brewed.

Pivero
places 11 º 06:33 Sun 3/4/2012

I did the spa thing a few years ago. It was great! If you want to do it, you should book it well in advance, or go during the week.

As for Klášter, they do take visitors, but I don’t know if there is a minimum number. Check out this webpage http://www.pivovarklaster.cz/pivovar/exkurze/ (it’s in Czech, but Google Translate can do a good job).

SudsIsSweet
07:26 Thu 3/8/2012

Originally posted by Pivero
I did the spa thing a few years ago. It was great! If you want to do it, you should book it well in advance, or go during the week.

As for Klášter, they do take visitors, but I don’t know if there is a minimum number. Check out this webpage http://www.pivovarklaster.cz/pivovar/exkurze/ (it’s in Czech, but Google Translate can do a good job).

Thanks for the helpful info