Beer Floats

Reads 6038 • Replies 36 • Started Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:27:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 21:49 Tue 4/7/2009

Bump, I’m thinking of trying this for friends tomorrow over Bridge.

Have 2 bottles of Oak Aged Yeti and 1 bottle of regular Yeti to devote to this cause.

Will probably open the regular Yeti first, thoughts on ice cream for it? In the past, and with non-alcoholic beverages, I have always preferred a high quality real vanilla bean ice cream.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 22:12 Tue 4/7/2009

I’ve had Dark Lord poured over cheesecake and that rocked!

I’ve also ordered a Young’s Double Chocolate float. It sucked until there was just enough beer left to mix it up with the vanilla ice cream and make a pseudo-shake out of it.

I don’t really like mixing craft beer with food either, but I’m sure I’m in the minority there.

fidelis83
beers 3713 º places 16 º 02:34 Wed 4/8/2009

Originally posted by lithy
Bump, I’m thinking of trying this for friends tomorrow over Bridge.

Have 2 bottles of Oak Aged Yeti and 1 bottle of regular Yeti to devote to this cause.

Will probably open the regular Yeti first, thoughts on ice cream for it? In the past, and with non-alcoholic beverages, I have always preferred a high quality real vanilla bean ice cream.

I have never liked any non vanilla ice cream float as well as its vanilla counterpart, I think some toffee chunk stuff could work here though.

cgarvieuk
beers 37072 º places 456 º 02:40 Wed 4/8/2009

Originally posted by hopscotch

I’ve also ordered a Young’s Double Chocolate float. It sucked until there was just enough beer left to mix it up with the vanilla ice cream and make a pseudo-shake out of it.

I don’t really like mixing craft beer with food either, but I’m sure I’m in the minority there.

OH! Beer and Cheesecake yumyumyum

JaBier
beers 13947 º places 101 º 09:20 Wed 4/8/2009

I’ve heard NG Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart make amazing floats with vanilla ice cream. I’ve yet to try it myself though.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 10:27 Mon 7/6/2009

Did a Stone RIS float last night. Not a huge fan of that beer, so it started off kind of unpleasant, but once the ice cream started to melt a little and mix with the beer it became a delicious chocolate shake sort of contraption.

Yum. Still have a bottle of Yeti and Fort to try with.

reakt
beers 959 º places 7 º 10:32 Mon 7/6/2009

I’ve made a few kriek floats in my time...

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 11:29 Mon 7/6/2009

For the refinement level of beer that we drink (Nøgne Rochefort etc) I suggest use equally fine locally-made ice cream, like Greg’s in Toronto.

None of this supermarket stuff full of additives and whipped with air - it goes on sale for two bucks a kilo for a reason!!

"When you are cooking, always use the best ingredients - or the dish will taste like the cheapest thing you put in there."

I am curious to try straight-up chocolate AND vanilla bean by Greg’s - in Rochefort, in Koningshoeven Quad and St. Bernie Abt 12, possibly in Scandinavian stouts, but I’m a little scared the hops and american oak in Yeti would create a trainwreck.

shrubber85
admin
beers 14778 º places 435 º 13:48 Mon 7/6/2009

Originally posted by hopscotch

My father in law made a sundae with the sludge on the bottom of a bottle of Dark Lord - it was actually very good.

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 13:57 Mon 7/6/2009

second street brewery makes an AWESOME stout malt ice cream from the remnants of the mash from their cream stout. thwy only make a very small amount, but when its on hand you can get a scoop of stout ice srem in the cream stout and it’s one of the best dishes i’ve ever had period, regardless of beer or desert.