Beer Goals for 2014

Reads 9108 • Replies 118 • Started Wednesday, January 1, 2014 11:36:14 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

kdm1984
beers 1022 º places 14 º 19:30 Wed 1/1/2014

Make the top 50 women raters list. Have about 100 beers to go. Certainly doable.

Drake
beers 18835 º places 1109 º 19:45 Wed 1/1/2014

Generally the same goals as usual...
-More exploring of this incredible country I live in and trying as many beers as I can from the incredible brewers here.
-Get to as many tastings as I can, whether or not they are Ratebeer tastings, because beer people are generally just awesome people.
-Rate a BEER from all 50 states (I think I’m just missing one of the Dakotas).
-Continue to seek out new countries, territories, etc.
-Become a better admin.

I expect I will cross 8000 ratings and make a good dent towards 9000, if not make it.

I expect to visit at least ten new breweries in my home state.

I expect I will expand on my goal to drink somewhat less.

I expect the fledgling Charlottesville crew, the Richmond crew, the DC crew, the Baltimore crew and the Tidewater VA crew... which is really just one big and disjointed but close-knit single crew... will continue to impress me with their kindness and good company.

I’m looking forward to 2014, because, well, 2013 was pretty awful for me.

portableparty
beers 2397 º places 20 º 19:48 Wed 1/1/2014

Stop all of this, if possible. Too much money, sick of being in liquors stores for more than 15 minutes. Sick of trying to rate beer whenever I get new beer.

Sick if it all!

Really enjoyed the new people I’ve met, but this hobby needs to be hung up for awhile!

Cheers.

portableparty
beers 2397 º places 20 º 19:50 Wed 1/1/2014

Originally posted by portableparty
Stop all of this, if possible. Too much money, sick of being in liquors stores for more than 15 minutes. Sick of trying to rate beer whenever I get new beer.

Sick if it all!

Really enjoyed the new people I’ve met, but this hobby needs to be hung up for awhile!

Cheers.

Honestly, I just want to go through a day without looking at this website!!!

douglas88
admin
beers 12092 º places 376 º 20:04 Wed 1/1/2014

Hmmm. A few:
- More cider ratings. I’m starting to love cider
- Visit every brewpub in Portland including all McMenamins
- Keep working on getting a regular PDX RB crew tasting going
- Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Drake
beers 18835 º places 1109 º 20:09 Wed 1/1/2014

Originally posted by douglas88
Hmmm. A few:
- More cider ratings. I’m starting to love cider
- Visit every brewpub in Portland including all McMenamins
- Keep working on getting a regular PDX RB crew tasting going
- Otherwise, keep up the good work!

If you like your ciders dry, make sure to get down to Virginia next time you come East.

BoBoChamp
beers 5752 º places 5 º 20:12 Wed 1/1/2014

Sick if it all!

Cheers.

I also have this feeling for quiet a while; my work and this beersite absorbs too much of my spare time (and money). I am looking forward to finally have more time for family and friends.

AdamChandler
beers 5959 º places 278 º 20:37 Wed 1/1/2014

I’m still very new to this hobby. VERY new compare to so many of you so I think I’m more focused on doing less beer things in 2014. 2012 was a stupid year where I jumped in to deep in the hobby. 2013 was more controlled / focused but I still suffer from over committing to beer purchases and then not having the money for them later.

so in 2014, less promises, less wheeling & dealing and more drinking Vermont beers which means I’ll inevitably rate less beer this year. I’m drinking more Hill Farmstead beers I’ve already rated 5 nights a week instead of mailing out those growlers for beers that usually aren’t as good.

So less trading, more local drinking which means less ticking. but less trades means more money for traveling to breweries and festivals so that will continue in 2014.

For the past 2 years, I did a "year in beer" post on my blog. It’s nice looking at my data and realizing how I can improve my spending:

http://adam-jackson.net/beer/2-years-in-beer-evolution-of-the-hobby/

I need to update this post but I wrote about reserve society costs break downs back in August..so the numbers aren’t up to date through the end of this year but it’s obvious Bruery is not a good way to spend money

http://adam-jackson.net/beer/2014-beer-budgeting-with-beer-clubs/

Anyway, next year simplify, drink local and trade less. Less trading means more trips to Europe to drink quality beers with people. This year I made a goal not to chase every rare release and my sanity level was much better.

Reid
beers 3313 º places 94 º 22:39 Wed 1/1/2014

Stick to Oregon only..the PNW and Oregon is very underrepresented on here..ive been mostly doing that for 2013 and will redouble that in 2014.

BVery
beers 13633 º places 750 º 22:51 Wed 1/1/2014

Sick if it all!

Cheers.

Sounds like you need a pep talk, Jeff. We want you on that wall....we NEED you on that wall!