beer mistakes

Reads 4002 • Replies 45 • Started Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:08:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

steview
beers 1037 º places 21 º 17:15 Sat 9/29/2012

Originally posted by arrogantb
Originally posted by dankman
Only a total dirtbag knows they are paying less because of a mistake on behalf of an employee. I hope anyone here that is willing to screw over a business owner due to a mistake they find experiences the same in return.

Boo-hoo. I go to liquor stores to buy beer not to hold their hand or correct their business mistakes. [...]

This. Hell, I go to any STORE to BUY -- nothing else. I want the price as close to zero as possible, with it being legal of course. I’m not swapping price tags.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 18:09 Sat 9/29/2012

Originally posted by cbfobes
In 2009 I walked out of a Hy-Vee with a six pack of Bourbon County Stout for $8.99 because they put it in their mix 6 section.

I was a part of this.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 18:55 Sat 9/29/2012

If something is marked at a particular price, and you purchase it at that particular price, it’s totally legitimate. And the store needs to honor the marked price. Now, if they notice while ringing someone up that something is priced less expensively than they want it to be, it is perfectly fine for them, *after* they’ve sold the person the item at the marked price, to go change the price so the next person who walks into the store seems the "correct" one. But you’ve got to honor the marked price for the guy who picked it up off the shelf based on the marked price and walks up to the register- otherwise it’s a bait and switch.

I can’t remember really getting an incredible deal that way, but I do remember an occasion where a store had a big sign in the store window advertising a 6-pack of a certain brand of beer for a particular price, then tried to charge me 50 cents more. I argued with the cashier and told her to check her own sign, which she did, and then she rang me up correctly. Also had to once peel a sticker off a cooler to prove my point to someone who didn’t want to ring me up at a sale price, or simply point out that something is one sale. But we’re not talking anything more than $2 off a 6er or something. Principle of the thing is I make them honor their marked price, though. I do it politely and try to be understanding, as long as they are willing to honor the price when called on it.

If someone ever flat out failed to honor a marked price, I’d probably argue and hold up a line and make sure everyone in that building knew they weren’t honoring marked price, leave my total order at the register (Not just the sale item) and buy nothing, and then buy my beer elsewhere and post negative reviews for the store that tried to screw me on every site I could find to review stores at.

To me, if you’re a business, your word is your bond, and your word is what’s on that sticker or sale ad. You can change it at any time for customers who’ve yet to walk in the door, but anyone who’s picked it out and put it in a cart or whatever should get it at the marked price. That’s how most businesses operate, and if a business refused to, to me it’d stand out as a really crooked thing.

fletche00
11:30 Fri 10/5/2012

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
If something is marked at a particular price, and you purchase it at that particular price, it’s totally legitimate. And the store needs to honor the marked price. Now, if they notice while ringing someone up that something is priced less expensively than they want it to be, it is perfectly fine for them, *after* they’ve sold the person the item at the marked price, to go change the price so the next person who walks into the store seems the "correct" one. But you’ve got to honor the marked price for the guy who picked it up off the shelf based on the marked price and walks up to the register- otherwise it’s a bait and switch.

I can’t remember really getting an incredible deal that way, but I do remember an occasion where a store had a big sign in the store window advertising a 6-pack of a certain brand of beer for a particular price, then tried to charge me 50 cents more. I argued with the cashier and told her to check her own sign, which she did, and then she rang me up correctly. Also had to once peel a sticker off a cooler to prove my point to someone who didn’t want to ring me up at a sale price, or simply point out that something is one sale. But we’re not talking anything more than $2 off a 6er or something. Principle of the thing is I make them honor their marked price, though. I do it politely and try to be understanding, as long as they are willing to honor the price when called on it.

If someone ever flat out failed to honor a marked price, I’d probably argue and hold up a line and make sure everyone in that building knew they weren’t honoring marked price, leave my total order at the register (Not just the sale item) and buy nothing, and then buy my beer elsewhere and post negative reviews for the store that tried to screw me on every site I could find to review stores at.

To me, if you’re a business, your word is your bond, and your word is what’s on that sticker or sale ad. You can change it at any time for customers who’ve yet to walk in the door, but anyone who’s picked it out and put it in a cart or whatever should get it at the marked price. That’s how most businesses operate, and if a business refused to, to me it’d stand out as a really crooked thing.

Something to consider, the prices of Beer changes day to day, when whole chains go through different suppliers for the same product, but want to keep the price the same throughout the entire chain, then changes are made often to off set the +/- that each individual store bought it at. I can see arguing your point if, lets say, the newspaper advertised that price. But if a store doesnt advertise the price, and its different by $1.00 to $.50, are you really going to argue the point of principle?

Also consider this, somebody picks up a bottle of Pappy van Winkle ($40 give or take) and decides they do not want it. They find a empty section on a vodka shelf of lets say Smirnoff ($14 give or take) and they put it there instead of taking it up to the counter. 2 minutes later, you walk by, grab it, see a $14 price tag and demand it be sold at that price. Well, the store did not do that, some customer put it there and an employee did not have time to put it back due to the line at the counter. Is it the stores fault? Are they really not honoring that price even though they had nothing to do with it being put on the wrong shelf by a customer?

bdigital
beers 659 º places 11 º 11:46 Fri 10/5/2012

Two cases of 06 SN Celebration for $20...store had a big sign showing the price of "Case for $10". Still can’t understand what they were thinking.