Beer to pair with Persian meal

Reads 5715 • Replies 16 • Started Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:03:29 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Jow
beers 7335 º places 487 º 08:08 Tue 6/11/2013

The meal isn’t for 2 more weeks, i just like to give myself time. But thinking saison seems a good choice, i’ll have to see whats available. I would do a mead but not sure i’ll be able to find a decent one, if i do i’ll grab that as well. Thanks for advice everyone.

solidfunk
beers 20012 º places 1037 º 08:13 Tue 6/11/2013

I’m sure Dogfish Head will resurrect a Persian archaeological beer soon if they haven’t already.

Jow
beers 7335 º places 487 º 10:05 Mon 7/1/2013

Since you all have been on edge of your seats here is a meal recap:

A young chef who has bummed around some famous kitchens in NYC and the bay area wanted to share his culture so started hosting these dinners using seasonal ingredients. held at his Brooklyn loft it was 14 of us (7 couples BYOB).

The food was Iranian Pistachios to snack on first, amazing.

Kookoo Sabzi a green Frisbee looking herb fritada

Mast-o-khiar a yogurt with cucumber, green raisins, and walnuts you spread this on everything. for good reason its delicious

An herb salad

Dami baghali which is rice with fava beans (apparently rice cooking preparation is hot topic in Iranian households)Then bottom of the pan is coated in lettuce and you get super crispy lettuce/rice chips which were awesome.

Then we had chicken which was roasted all day in like a hundred ingredients such as orange blossom, saffron, turmeric etc.

The beers I chose based on your advice in this thread were Crooked Stave Hop Savant which is an American Pale Ale with Brett super dry and a bit funky. And Evil Twin’s Plastic Man a saison that tasted of lemongrass and yeasty. i’d say both complimented the herbaceousness of Persian cooking quite well.

In conclusion that’s the main difference between Iranian cooking and other middle eastern cuisine is that its far more herbaceous and less focused on spice. So pair your beers with that in mind.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 14:35 Mon 7/1/2013

Originally posted by Jow
Since you all have been on edge of your seats here is a meal recap:

A young chef who has bummed around some famous kitchens in NYC and the bay area wanted to share his culture so started hosting these dinners using seasonal ingredients. held at his Brooklyn loft it was 14 of us (7 couples BYOB).

The food was Iranian Pistachios to snack on first, amazing.

Kookoo Sabzi a green Frisbee looking herb fritada

Mast-o-khiar a yogurt with cucumber, green raisins, and walnuts you spread this on everything. for good reason its delicious

An herb salad

Dami baghali which is rice with fava beans (apparently rice cooking preparation is hot topic in Iranian households)Then bottom of the pan is coated in lettuce and you get super crispy lettuce/rice chips which were awesome.

Then we had chicken which was roasted all day in like a hundred ingredients such as orange blossom, saffron, turmeric etc.

The beers I chose based on your advice in this thread were Crooked Stave Hop Savant which is an American Pale Ale with Brett super dry and a bit funky. And Evil Twin’s Plastic Man a saison that tasted of lemongrass and yeasty. i’d say both complimented the herbaceousness of Persian cooking quite well.

In conclusion that’s the main difference between Iranian cooking and other middle eastern cuisine is that its far more herbaceous and less focused on spice. So pair your beers with that in mind.

You are a very lucky man and that sounds like quite a meal! =) Thanks for all the names of the dishes so we can look up recipes. I especially liked the beer commentary.

Ratman197
beers 24610 º places 200 º 16:01 Tue 7/2/2013

Darn! I thought someone was finally going to eat some of those cats I keep seeing on RateBeer.

mrhoppy
beers 1202 º places 226 º 23:27 Tue 7/16/2013

Pale, Hefe or IPA