Belgium and the Netherlands

Reads 1031 • Replies 13 • Started Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:31:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

AndySnow
beers 16495 º places 323 º 01:31 Tue 6/25/2013

Going on a little road trip for the end of July, beginning of August. Will probably be spending two weeks in Belgium and the Netherlands.

What places shouldn’t I miss, which should I miss, is there anything fun happening?

The initial plan is to start out in west Belgium, maybe get a bike and go around some, then head up through Antwerp and Brussels to the Netherlands and ending in Amsterdam.

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 02:15 Tue 6/25/2013

feel free to join at a tasting at my place ( antwerp )? we can also do IP trades, and i have place for you to crash :)

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 02:23 Tue 6/25/2013

I live in the Southern part of The Netherlands in Oirschot, near Eindhoven. In Oirschot there’s a pub with about 700 beers called Cafe Buitenlust. In Eindhoven there’s not really a good pub, but beer store Mitra Van Bergen is excellent. I visit Stockholm every year btw (though this year is looking problematic), maybe we can work out a trade at some point.

MrHangover
beers 4691 º places 75 º 02:59 Tue 6/25/2013

don’t forget to visit Amsterdam, with the Beer Temple, Bierkoning, Arendsnest and de Wildeman, just to name a few. Also, a visit on Saturday to de Molen brewery is great.

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 03:18 Tue 6/25/2013

There’s a large amount of beer festivals nowadays in The Netherlands, so keep an eye on the events page and perhaps Google a bit yourself (Google translate works well from Dutch to English). Also this page (of the ’Dutch CAMRA’) lists quite some festivals, such as in Ermelo August 4.

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 03:41 Tue 6/25/2013

Amsterdam is a must visit indeed with plenty of places to keep you busy for several days even. De Molen is very nice as well. I think Delft is a pretty good place nowadays as well, with its history plus decent beer places including bars, restaurants and shops.

With all respect, although the people are really nice and half of my family resides over there, the southern part of the Netherlands is not really as interesting as a (beer)tourist as some other parts.

Originally posted by erickok
There’s a large amount of beer festivals nowadays in The Netherlands, so keep an eye on the events page and perhaps Google a bit yourself (Google translate works well from Dutch to English). Also this page (of the ’Dutch CAMRA’) lists quite some festivals, such as in Ermelo August 4.

Just one exception, that the Burg festival is always on the 1st SATURDAY of augst, which will be August 3. Don’t get me started on the quality of PINT ;-)

AndySnow
beers 16495 º places 323 º 04:47 Tue 6/25/2013

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Will probably start out with Belgium, along the coast and the western part, then head over to Antwerp, skipped Brussels (avoid the EU bureaucrats) and head up through Netherlands to Amsterdam. Probably have most focus on the cities since 1) I love cities and 2) there is just so much to see and do in them.

Luckily my fiancée is also interested in beer (at least somewhat, she is an RB member) and with some military sights thrown into the mix I hope she won’t complain too much.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 07:31 Tue 6/25/2013

Starting in west Belgium, you will want to hit Bruges for sure. I recommend at least two days. Gent is also worth a full day.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 09:13 Tue 6/25/2013

Originally posted by AndySnow
skip Brussels ...
1) I love cities and 2) there is just so much to see and do in them.

Does not compute.

AndySnow
beers 16495 º places 323 º 10:16 Tue 6/25/2013

Originally posted by JoeinEscazú
Originally posted by AndySnow
skip Brussels ...
1) I love cities and 2) there is just so much to see and do in them.

Does not compute.

Can’t say I’ve heard good things about Brussels. Been there once, but that was a long time ago. Just think there might be better places to see in Belgium.

sebletitje
beers 11868 º places 491 º 10:31 Tue 6/25/2013

Good things as in .... ?