Belgium Tour

Reads 466 • Replies 6 • Started Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:48:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bytemesis
beers 15308 º places 1595 º 22:48 Wed 5/24/2017

My wife just informed me that she wants to take an extra day after our conference in Europe next month to drive around the Flanders region of Belgium and visit "lambic brewers." Now, her vision of lambic is Lindemanns Framboise, so I expect her to be a bit disappointed, but I am not going to pass up the opportunity.

My question to y’all is, given that we have a car, will start in Brussels, and will end the night in Amsterdam, what are the can’t miss stops in Flanders? Yes, I know I can just look at the map, but I am looking for personal insight. Places that are worth visiting and that a spouse with at most a passing interest in beer might also enjoy.

T.Hanks

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 05:30 Thu 5/25/2017

hey ! if you’re interested to come to Antwerp, I can show you around here, and you are for sure welcome in our bar (beerlovers bar) as well.

In brussels region, the best places ( to me ) are cantillon, 3 fonteinen, chez moeder lambic.

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 07:04 Thu 5/25/2017

Considering a co-travelling spouse, I’d recommend the non-nerdy 3Fonteinen restaurant rather than the geeky&pricey Lambiekodroom where you can still get their Faro on tap for the Missu, along with lunch like faro-braised chicken.

And depending whether you’ll be travelling on the weekend, I always enjoy taking family or non-beerist friends to Volkscafé De Cam, opposite De Cam Stekerij: only a short drive West, serving otherwise very hard to source De Cam lambiek in tasting samplers, along with snacks, decent local dishes and around coffee time waffles and pancakes enjoyed by families and locals.

Cantillon doesn’t require a car but is an obvious first stop when heading out West into Pajottenland.

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 13:01 Thu 5/25/2017

When are you going to be in Belgium, Mike?

My wife and I will be over there June 16 - 20th .....

bytemesis
beers 15308 º places 1595 º 15:01 Thu 5/25/2017

I will be in Den Hague June 11-16. Planning to train to Brussels on the 16th. Driving day would be the 17th, possibly 18th, possibly both. Amsterdam on the 19th and out on the 20th

The Den Haque thing is work, although I am sure I will find time for local brewery visits. Meeting wife’s best friend in Brussels so I will have some constraints for sure. Amsterdam is where wife’s godmother lives, so that will be all family-related.

Kraddel - at the very least I would love to stop by your place on either the 17th or 18th - thanks for the invite!

thanks for the tips so far; I am going to try to build a driving map. Wife wants to go to Lindemanns, but from what I can read there is not much to see/do there other than the tour?

I will likely arrive in Brussels before her on the 16th and plan to hit some of the geekier places (Moeder, possibly Cantillon) before she arrives.

I still need three Faro ticks for my 10 in that style, so knowing that I can tick 3F faro at the restaurant is great information - thanks!. Any other places where Faro is a likely tick would be helpful as well.

77ships
beers 14200 º places 917 º 15:23 Thu 5/25/2017

Originally posted by bytemesis
I will be in Den Hague June 11-16. Planning to train to Brussels on the 16th. Driving day would be the 17th, possibly 18th, possibly both. Amsterdam on the 19th and out on the 20th

The Den Haque thing is work, although I am sure I will find time for local brewery visits. Meeting wife’s best friend in Brussels so I will have some constraints for sure. Amsterdam is where wife’s godmother lives, so that will be all family-related.

Kraddel - at the very least I would love to stop by your place on either the 17th or 18th - thanks for the invite!

thanks for the tips so far; I am going to try to build a driving map. Wife wants to go to Lindemanns, but from what I can read there is not much to see/do there other than the tour?

I will likely arrive in Brussels before her on the 16th and plan to hit some of the geekier places (Moeder, possibly Cantillon) before she arrives.

I still need three Faro ticks for my 10 in that style, so knowing that I can tick 3F faro at the restaurant is great information - thanks!. Any other places where Faro is a likely tick would be helpful as well.

https://www.ratebeer.com/p/a-la-mort-subite/955/ should have the Mort Subite faro on tap.

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 15:27 Thu 5/25/2017

Mike - I am totally down to hit some spots and split bottles with you on the 16th!

Let’s chat and see if we can’t make a tentative plan?