Bottle list at Grote Dorst

Reads 3087 • Replies 30 • Started Saturday, September 10, 2016 3:47:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CrookedStaver
places 1 º 12:34 Sat 9/10/2016

Will be there tomorrow! Was there less than a year ago and had a Zomer, 2004 3F magnum, 2012 Fou Foune, and an old (can’t remember vintage now) 3F Schaarbeekse Kriek. Prices are high but very fair. Atmosphere is top notch.

nerdboy19
beers 171 º places 20 º 22:19 Sat 9/10/2016

Thanks guys, if you can check some special 3F / loons for me that would be really appreciated :)

CrookedStaver
places 1 º 19:06 Sun 9/11/2016

Tons of stuff off the list even from last time I was there. Drank 2010 Iris, 2011 Mamouche, 2012 St Lam, 2005 3G Schaarbeekse, 2005 3F OGV, ’10-’11 Tilquin, ’12 3F OG to name a few

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 19:39 Sun 9/11/2016

Here’s how you do Grote Dorst:

Arrive 5 minutes before open
Come in, grab a seat at a table built for your group size
Be friendly, don’t be a weirdo
Ask what Lambiek is available on tap
Order a glass of every lambiek available (1-3 euro a glass)
Drink them
Order some cheese while you glance at the menu
Get a bottle of an older non-whale bottle to split with your friends
An hour in, order 2-3 nicer bottles "if available" and if one is sold out, don’t act like a dick and say "someone checked into that bottle on Untappd last week."
Enjoy the beer they serve you
Bring dirty glasses back to the bar before you leave.
Come back next year and repeat.

---

DHVL is very expensive if you want to drink whales. A meat-loaf made with Orval with some Frites and an 8 year Orval or Rodenbach Grand Cru is a perfect way to spend the afternoon.

If you see Uli at Grote dorst, be nice, invite him to sit and share some beers with him. He has some great stories.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 19:40 Sun 9/11/2016

biggsbowler
beers 635 º places 22 º 19:47 Sun 9/11/2016

Originally posted by AdamChandler

Drink them
An hour in, order 2-3 nicer bottles "if available" and if one is sold out, don’t act like a dick and say "someone checked into that bottle on Untappd last week."

---

DHVL is very expensive if you want to drink whales. A meat-loaf made with Orval with some Frites and an 8 year Orval or Rodenbach Grand Cru is a perfect way to spend the afternoon.

If you see Uli at Grote dorst, be nice, invite him to sit and share some beers with him. He has some great stories.

This should be done at every bar and brewery you go to.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 20:00 Sun 9/11/2016

Originally posted by biggsbowler

This should be done at every bar and brewery you go to.

You’re right but every bar I go to in Belgium that’s known to have whales, there’s always a fat bearded beer geek (like me) but instead of being nice they sit down and ask "what do you have that’s rare? Do you have Framboos?"

nerdboy19
beers 171 º places 20 º 23:48 Sun 9/11/2016

Originally posted by AdamChandler

Drink them

---

Thanks for the information, since I’m not a good drinker I might have to skip few steps but that sounds wonderful :)

nerdboy19
beers 171 º places 20 º 23:49 Sun 9/11/2016

Originally posted by CrookedStaver
Tons of stuff off the list even from last time I was there. Drank 2010 Iris, 2011 Mamouche, 2012 St Lam, 2005 3G Schaarbeekse, 2005 3F OGV, ’10-’11 Tilquin, ’12 3F OG to name a few

Thanks man!

nerdboy19
beers 171 º places 20 º 23:54 Sun 9/11/2016

Also I just googled what DHVL is (it sounds like some dark lord variants lol) and found out it was a Belgium pub. How’s the selection like there? Can’t find any menu..