Bourbon County Stout going year round. How will this affect it?

Reads 3962 • Replies 37 • Started Monday, April 16, 2012 11:12:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:12 Mon 4/16/2012

Will total sales be up or down? How will geeks respond?
--
http://chicagoist.com/2012/04/16/the_honk_heard_round_the_world_goos.php
via BeerPulse
http://chicagoist.com/2012/04/16/the_honk_heard_round_the_world_goos.php

The recent lease of a new barrel warehouse on AB’s dime has allowed Goose Island to double the size of its barrel program and will soon lead to Bourbon County Stout being made available available year-round.

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 11:16 Mon 4/16/2012

Round here you could have told me it was a year round beer four years ago, it was always on the shelf. I don’t think I really drank any more or less of it back then.

bootsjohn
beers 72 º places 28 º 11:18 Mon 4/16/2012

Increases in production often lead to decreases in quality control. With so many more barrels, have they found enough additional experts to know what will be ready to bottle? Plus, with ABInBev footing the bill, don’t you think the mothership will be pushing GI to get the stuff out on a schedule as opposed to letting it reach appropriate maturity before packaging? Or will ABInBev let GI have free reign over this?

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:23 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by bootsjohn
Increases in production often lead to decreases in quality control. With so many more barrels, have they found enough additional experts to know what will be ready to bottle? Plus, with ABInBev footing the bill, don’t you think the mothership will be pushing GI to get the stuff out on a schedule as opposed to letting it reach appropriate maturity before packaging? Or will ABInBev let GI have free reign over this?

ABInBev hasn’t forced Goose to do anything so far.. what makes you think BCS will be the thing that changes that?

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 11:24 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by joet
Will total sales be up or down?

Depends. Lately beers like this have only sold well in our store if they are rare or limited. It seems people want what they can’t get, or something they can post on a blog or whatever to show off what they have had. Back in 2008 we ended up with 120 cases (I think) of BCS that sat on our shelves for over a year. This was back when we had hardly any beers similar on the shelves. Fast forward to now when we have plenty of other examples at similar price points. Can we push 30 cases of BCS once a year in under a day? Sure, but it won’t continue to sell at that pace. People will see it still on the shelves a few weeks later and figure it is a common beer, which will drive down sales of a beer like this. You also have to consider the times a person would want a novelty beer like this a year. I personally couldn’t consume more than one or two a month.

jezmez68
beers 404 º places 6 º 11:31 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
ABInBev hasn’t forced Goose to do anything so far.. what makes you think BCS will be the thing that changes that?

Totally. It’s like saying that Honker’s Ale when they released it year round would lose quality. Why would AB want to put a crap product out? Answer? It wouldn’t. It wouldn’t want to hurt something that was making them money. They’re a big company, not a stupid one.

Jeppe
beers 2634 º places 84 º 11:34 Mon 4/16/2012

it will taste less rare

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 11:39 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by jezmez68
Why would AB want to put a crap product out? Answer? It wouldn’t.

LostHops287
beers 18 º 11:39 Mon 4/16/2012

Sale will increase in the region where it was not available especially in CALI--LOS ANGELES AREA

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 11:41 Mon 4/16/2012

I’m still not buying it. Goose Island sold out. I don’t care what beer they’re making, I’m not buying anything from AB/Inbev... well, except the single of Bud Light Platinum I had to drink for the RBScavengerHunt.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 11:42 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by Jeppe
it will taste less rare

Like it did back in 2008 when a single batch would sit on the shelf for a year in most areas. The IIPA that came out around the same time though, good lord. Bring that back you jerks. That would taste so damn rare right now.