BrewDog: Haway Man, get a grip

Reads 3736 • Replies 55 • Started Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:04:16 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

zimbo
beers 1019 º 14:06 Tue 6/25/2013

Originally posted by Gary
I LOVED the original PUNK IPA 6 % recipe. As others here would testify the beer was really assertively dry -an in-ya-face hop profile onslaught on the palate..its character matched the bravardo and "take no shit" attitude Brewdog used with their clever markting... then the beer changed . It became a 5.6% overly sweet IPA -departed was that intense hop bite textures...as if they were dumbing down the recipe to cater for lager appeal.

The demise of the original 6% ABV Punk was the beginning of the end for me.

madmitch76
beers 36915 º places 240 º 16:12 Wed 6/26/2013

Meh! All this love for original Punk sets my teeth on edge. When new Punk was introduced there was at least one side by side tasting (at the Rake) and frankly the new version pissed all over the old version which tasted bland, dry and dusty by comparison.

Yeah it was less bitter than Old Punk but it was cleaner, better balanced and more nuanced in terms of its hop flavours.

Fans of the old style are living in the past man! (Cue Jethro Tull)

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 16:19 Wed 6/26/2013

It was at the White Horse and I thought the new punk was good but since it’s been erratic. It also takes time for a new brewery to become acclimatised to batches. I’ve enjoyed recent batches of Punk but the Ahtanum isn’t a favourite hop of mine and could be swapped with Amarillo.

madmitch76
beers 36915 º places 240 º 16:28 Wed 6/26/2013

Not sure abaht the Sloaney but there wss defo an officilal side by side at the Rake. New Punk fresh and vibrant, Old Punk tired and staid. The clue is in the name - Punk. Remember 77 okay!

BeerBirraBier
01:36 Thu 6/27/2013

Originally posted by tdtm82It also takes time for a new brewery to become acclimatised to batches. I’ve enjoyed recent batches of Punk but the Ahtanum isn’t a favourite hop of mine and could be swapped with Amarillo.

But ... Punk was variable as all hell even before they moved to the new brewery. I dunno, it feels like a total lottery buying that beer. I love it when it’s great, but when it’s not great it can be terrible. I’ve had enough bad ones (and wasted enough money) to put me off taking the risk any more.