Brewdog

Reads 1716 • Replies 13 • Started Friday, March 17, 2017 5:21:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

evergreen0199
beers 5928 º 17:21 Fri 3/17/2017

Any other Equity Punks out there getting a little weary with Brewdogs daily emails, sometimes even twice a day. I am a regular visitor to the Brewdog bars, I actually went to Shepherds Bush earlier this evening and Soho mid week, I enjoy the beers on offer. I just think that they are just too in your face, they would have you believe that nothing else exists in this world!

Mjp12
beers 2215 º places 102 º 08:15 Sat 3/18/2017

Yep , its a common grumble on the forum , and on some whatsapp groups I’m on with other EFPs . What with that, rather mixed responses to recent brews, and their plans to go global, it’s a bit of a wobbly time. They need to keep their focus on the liquid coming out of the brewery, rather than the spin!

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40412 º places 1239 º 08:35 Sat 3/18/2017

Goes into Junk mail so doesn’t bother me.

Mjp12
beers 2215 º places 102 º 09:48 Sat 3/18/2017

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Goes into Junk mail so doesn’t bother me.

Ha ha, presume you are talking about their emails, rather than the recent releases!

evergreen0199
beers 5928 º 15:33 Sat 3/18/2017

Some of their recent small batch beers have been top draw, notably the small batch Vermont IPA and the small batch nitro breakfast. Hope they continue to maintain this standard.

Would like to see them turn the volume down with their advertising and we are fantastic attitude though and concentrate on the beer.

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 11:08 Sun 3/19/2017

What on earth are yous on about? If you don’t like the emails then either send them directly to junk or opt out. Brewdog have always been as much about brand image and marketing as they have about beer production. To suggest they can’t focus on both would be easily disproved by their success. If you feel they are too in your face then stop following them, they don’t advertise anywhere that I know of so you’ve opted in to any communication you see from them. Their image has always been based on bravado but how did you manage to infer that they believe nothing else exists? They’re generally quite good at promoting other breweries but at the same time, they’re not a free advertising space for anyone else so of course they talk about their own products and ventures. At this stage they have more than enough people in the company to focus on both the beer and marketing without compromising either. Why does their expansion plan make it a wobbly time?

danlo
beers 11258 º places 300 º 15:04 Sun 3/19/2017

Originally posted by BenH
What on earth are yous on about? If you don’t like the emails then either send them directly to junk or opt out. Brewdog have always been as much about brand image and marketing as they have about beer production. To suggest they can’t focus on both would be easily disproved by their success. If you feel they are too in your face then stop following them, they don’t advertise anywhere that I know of so you’ve opted in to any communication you see from them. Their image has always been based on bravado but how did you manage to infer that they believe nothing else exists? They’re generally quite good at promoting other breweries but at the same time, they’re not a free advertising space for anyone else so of course they talk about their own products and ventures. At this stage they have more than enough people in the company to focus on both the beer and marketing without compromising either. Why does their expansion plan make it a wobbly time?

The expanson plan includes going into spirits and they have brought out a gin, which would give anyone a wobbly time...

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 07:34 Mon 3/20/2017

I take it all you punks are up to date with the flak currently heading Brewdog’s way over its plans to sell 30% of the company without giving you lot a chance to buy? It means what you have isn’t really equity which in turns means Brewdog’s likely to be in trouble with the Financial Conduct Authority.

http://beerinsider.com/lack-of-equity-at-brewdog/

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 02:51 Tue 3/21/2017

Didn’t Brewdog get in trouble with the regulatory authorities immediately upon launching the idea because it was appearing to be equity, but had none of the protections for the investors. So they quickly made it more obviously just crowdfunding, with no rights attached to the pieces of paper people got.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:56 Tue 3/21/2017

Originally posted by BeerViking
I take it all you punks are up to date with the flak currently heading Brewdog’s way over its plans to sell 30% of the company without giving you lot a chance to buy? It means what you have isn’t really equity which in turns means Brewdog’s likely to be in trouble with the Financial Conduct Authority.

http://beerinsider.com/lack-of-equity-at-brewdog/

It’s interesting but a bit debatable as the word "equity" has no statutory definition in Company Law terms. In accounting terms it effectively means the net value of a business. In the financial markets the term "equities" or "equity investments" is often used as shorthand for shares - to indicate that the holder has a stake in the value of the company. In the Courts, "equity" mean something different again.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:31 Tue 3/21/2017

Originally posted by FatPhil
Didn’t Brewdog get in trouble with the regulatory authorities immediately upon launching the idea because it was appearing to be equity, but had none of the protections for the investors.

It’s difficult to know what trouble they’ve got into because, in general, the deliberations of the regulatory authorities, and their communications with the subject companies, are confidential. Sometimes they will publicise sanctions they’ve invoked. Sometimes they won’t.

Many of the protections for share investors are contained in the listing rules but those only apply to shares that are traded on a exchange.This approach derives from a time when there was really only a "main" listing on the Stock Exchange and companies outside that market generally didn’t offer their shares for sale to the general public.However, the main market presented significant barriers to entry (and very high costs to participants) so alternative platforms began to to be sanctioned. These started with the London Stock Exchange’s own Alternative Investment Market ("AIM") and there have been many others since. AIM significantly reduced the barriers to entry and, also, the levels of protection for investors and potential investors. The general ethos of AIM was that it was intended for "sophisticated investors" who understood the risks and participants were expected to take steps to ensure that investors fitted the bill.

The modern day crowdfunding platforms - Crowdcube et al - are regulated by the FCA. There are rules about who they can target with financial promotions and they are required to undertake an "appropriateness test" on inestors. I have no idea how stringent these tests have to be or how stringently compliance is enforced. But, as far as I know, BrewDog doesn’t use a crowdfunding platform so, as I understand it, a lot of this won’t apply to them. However, I’m no longer in that world so I’m not au fait with the ins and outs these days.