Brewer to brewer, Kolsch is indistinguishable

Reads 9652 • Replies 126 • Started Sunday, May 5, 2013 7:14:25 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

kdm1984
beers 1096 º places 14 º 16:25 Sun 5/12/2013

They are distinguishable, from the mere three I have had. I am speaking about taste. But I will say, THEY ALL SMELL LIKE WHEAT AND DIRTY SOCKS. No exception so far. I will keep trying them to see if one ever does NOT smell like wheat and dirty socks. I have a project. I shall see how it goes.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:51 Mon 5/13/2013

Compared bottles of the Hellers (4.5%) and Gaffel (4.8%) yesterday. Hellers was way more flavourful, despite being weaker. Neither was great though.

Gonna have to get me some Malzmühle.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 07:48 Mon 5/13/2013

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Compared bottles of the Hellers (4.5%) and Gaffel (4.8%) yesterday. Hellers was way more flavourful, despite being weaker. Neither was great though.

I found more difference bottle to bottle, compared to fresh.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 08:05 Mon 5/13/2013

Originally posted by JK

But, you weren’t able to horizontal them vom Fass, were you? Someone should open a pub where all the Kölsch(es) and Altbier(s) are served properly, side by side, so people can compare them. Okay, it would have to be two pubs, one in Köln for Kölsch, and one in Düsseldorf for Alt. It’d do in a pinch.

ThirstyBird
beers 3099 º places 53 º 08:35 Mon 5/13/2013

Originally posted by JK

But, you weren’t able to horizontal them vom Fass, were you? Someone should open a pub where all the Kölsch(es) and Altbier(s) are served properly, side by side, so people can compare them. Okay, it would have to be two pubs, one in Köln for Kölsch, and one in Düsseldorf for Alt. It’d do in a pinch.

There is a pub/restaurant in Düsseldorf (Gaststätte Schalander) that has 3 of the 4 altbiers vom fass. They don’t have Schlussel. They have 13 taps which is obviously pretty good for Germany including one Kölsch (Früh). It is south of the city center about 15 minutes by Ubahn - for future reference. Good food as well.