Brewing with marijuana

Reads 37816 • Replies 72 • Started Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:44:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:03 Sun 2/20/2011

Originally posted by CapFlu
Please note that the FBI is monitoring this thread.

Thanks very much, Todd. I think it’s a legitimate brewing topic. I believe there are Swiss commercial examples using hemp and now American examples being brewed for medical dispensaries.

Davinci
beers 295 º places 10 º 12:02 Sun 2/20/2011

Years ago in Amsterdam I had a weed brew during the cannabis cup... hard to tell if I got any effects of the THC, but it certainly tasted weedy.

I have read up on this topic in the past and remember reading that one should first boil the greens first with several changes of water. Since the THC is not water soluble it should not effect the THC content. The reason for doing this is that otherwise you will get a very vegetal flavor in the final beer. Then add the rinsed greens to your secondary.

As far as alcohol extraction, I haven’t read up on it, but had heard that this technique does produce the high commonly associated with eating brownies... rather than smoking, which seems to be way different. I’d assume that this would work best in something like an impy IPA.

I think the pure grain alcohol scenario would be another suitable option.

here is an interesting link about some homebrewers who gave some herbed beer to Michael Jackson.

http://onr.com/user/liberty/Marijuana/MBeer/MBeer.html

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 12:04 Sun 2/20/2011

well, there are dozens of brands of thc unfused sodas and drinks pon the market here in cali right now. not sure how they get it in there, but theres no alcohol and some of them are -very- strong. so it can be done, using whatever method they use to get it added to the soda.

its soluable at 60%, you just make a strong alcohol tintuce and then mix it in to the beer, thus raising the abv of the base beer, but still giving you a product well below 60% abv. when made correctly, tinctures are very, very strong. one fluid ounce of well made tincture is wayyyy to much for 1 dose, it could easily be spread a lot thinner, ie diluting it into beer.

there are many other in herent problems with it, more in the fact that ingesting thc gives you a very different effect than smoking it. you would not want a strong weed beer, you could only drink one and it would be very easy to over do it drinking too much. strong edible 1/2 of a cookie is plenty for a 12 hour period, you dont want to eat 6 of those, youll be in a bad place. no one talks about this, this its the dangerous art of it. ingesting thc can actually make you physically sick, unlike smoking it which is typically all psycho somatic. i.e. ive seen many peopel eat too much and basically overdose, intense vomitting for hours, severe cramping, dehydration, etc, not to mention the mental effects happening at the same time. it would be better to make it very light in thc so that the dose is more controllable. smoking is easy to judge cause you feel it right away, ingesting not so much.

and still, think outside the box here people: how much flavor would be transferred from the weed if whole nuggets where used either to brew with or in a dry hop manner??? i would personally just like some weed flavors, i can smoke to get the thc or get any variety of edibles around here, im more after the nuances and flavors that different strains might lend to a brew.

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 12:15 Sun 2/20/2011

^^^ great article davinci! this has answered a lot of my questions about brewing with whole-bud weed! its good to see some sort of ratio finally, 2.5 ounces per 5 gallons to start, which is easily doable. ive always thought of a iipa of course, a nice barleywine like that may suite it better though as you might be able to age it a bit as well.

so who has the in at rr so we can get a nice herbed pliny going???

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 12:28 Sun 2/20/2011

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by CapFlu
Please note that the FBI is monitoring this thread.

Thanks very much, Todd. I think it’s a legitimate brewing topic. I believe there are Swiss commercial examples using hemp and now American examples being brewed for medical dispensaries.

and yeah, its all still illegal federally joe, its not legitimate to the federal governement at all in any way yet, which is what the fbi is part of.

ucusty
beers 2692 º places 52 º 16:16 Sun 2/20/2011

+1 on what wavers said.
dry nug that shit and put in a tincture
dont waste your weed by using it for ko

ucusty
beers 2692 º places 52 º 16:19 Sun 2/20/2011

ive be making wonderful honey oil concentrate of late and I’m wondering if using it would work b/c its extremely concentrated and can be thin’d out with grain alcohol

ucusty
beers 2692 º places 52 º 16:21 Sun 2/20/2011

ive be making wonderful honey oil concentrate of late and I’m wondering if using it would work b/c its extremely concentrated and can be thin’d out with grain alcohol

mkade8883
beers 250 º places 28 º 16:25 Sun 2/20/2011

I’ve had weed wine before that was very tasty and had a pretty potent effect.

dankman
beers 257 º places 20 º 16:45 Sun 2/20/2011

Originally posted by ucusty

It’ll work. When I cook with reefer it’s usually using hash oil.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer