Brits and American beers

Reads 3798 • Replies 61 • Started Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:39:06 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40415 º places 1239 º 15:05 Thu 6/13/2013

Originally posted by Leighton
Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Some good bits in this thread: any UK based Ratebeer drinkers hit all 51? states?

27 is my total: I know some are well up on that.

<*))))))><

I’ve had 45.

And the 6 you haven’t rated are 6 of the 7 I’ve got no memory of having had !

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 23:45 Thu 6/13/2013

in 2003 Safeway had in their stock a range of pretty interesting and daring (for the time) range of American beerz..Alaskan Smoked Porter. Anchor Liberty . Goose Island and of course Dogfish Head WWS 21% for 7.99 a bottle..id never had anything like these beers before..I was 21 and had recently started trying real ale and had sampled some of the Trappits..but recall how vibrant these American beers were in contrast to the often safe UK beers id expereinced...from the bold characters of the beers to the slick bottle sizes . There was a sense of something trendy ,fresh and of course quality to the American micros was there-I came on ratebeer in 2004 with my original now defunct account and straight away it felt like the American micro scene was a movement and culture that was exciting and would influence the world scene ..

madmitch76
beers 36870 º places 240 º 01:18 Fri 6/14/2013

I’m missing Iowa, North and South Dakota, Washington DC and Wes5 Virginia. I’m guessing these are nit uncommon wants?

BlackHaddock
beers 15433 º places 1050 º 01:26 Fri 6/14/2013

Originally posted by madmitch76
I’m missing Iowa, North and South Dakota, Washington DC and Wes5 Virginia. I’m guessing these are nit uncommon wants?

Yip, they are also un-ticked by me (but so are 19 others!).

<*))))))><

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 01:39 Fri 6/14/2013

im missing
Louisiana
Mississippi
Tennessee

So if anyone can help :-)

Sadly ken i had 4 DC ones about this time last year, but it looks like ive had them all at tastings.
Sorry.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40415 º places 1239 º 01:50 Fri 6/14/2013

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

im missing
Louisiana
Mississippi
Tennessee

So if anyone can help :-)

Sadly ken i had 4 DC ones about this time last year, but it looks like ive had them all at tastings.
Sorry.

Abita is the easy to get Louisiana - purple haze IIRC pops up on the east coast. Had it but not rated. Tennessee - I visited on my first trip to the US so did a few brew pubs there (obviously no ratings back then). Mississippi - we drove through but didn’t stop. No memories of ever seeing a beer from there !

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 02:07 Fri 6/14/2013

well i can but hope :-) I just need 2 of the 3 for my platinum award

RichardW
beers 1813 º places 45 º 03:16 Fri 6/14/2013

Been into beer since about 18 (I’m 42 now...) and remember Rogue, Harpoon & Pete’s Wicked Ale being available in Rehills, Newcastle around the very tail end of the 90s/early 2000s. yeah, they seemed pricey, but i enjoyed them. At the time I was pub managing and then working for Mordue, so didn’t need to buy much beer!

My first trip to the US was Florida, in 2004 and, although Orlando is not known for its massive beer choice, I was introduced to Shipyard and a couple of others. By now, I was out of the beer industry and becoming very aware of the US beer boom. Rehills had started stocking Anchor, SN, GI etc and my honeymoon in 2006 to SF, Vegas and Anaheim saw me really appreciate what was out there.

Been a bit obsessed with US beer ever since and have probably spent too much on them over the years. I’ve reined it in a bit lately, difficult to justify £15 for a 650/750ml bottle, on the likes of Beers of Europe etc., although a few of us do have the occasional get together and split the costs between us.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:00 Fri 6/14/2013

Sorry.

Are there some production breweries in DC now? DC always used to be tough as there were only brewpubs so you had to visit to get the DC tick.

Leighton
beers 33700 º places 1204 º 04:03 Fri 6/14/2013

Originally posted by chriso
Sorry.

Are there some production breweries in DC now? DC always used to be tough as there were only brewpubs so you had to visit to get the DC tick.

DC Brau, I think.