Buckbean closing

Reads 3445 • Replies 24 • Started Friday, February 10, 2012 1:50:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 19:19 Sun 2/12/2012

Originally posted by iowaherkeye
Originally posted by keanex
Looking at the ratings of Buckbean it doesn’t seem they produce anything worthwhile either, so it’s funny to see people attack the ones that canned before them.

I didn’t mind their schwarzbier.

+1 Good stuff.

illinismitty
beers 2271 º places 279 º 05:47 Mon 2/13/2012

Originally posted by Drake
Originally posted by iowaherkeye
Originally posted by keanex
Looking at the ratings of Buckbean it doesn’t seem they produce anything worthwhile either, so it’s funny to see people attack the ones that canned before them.

I didn’t mind their schwarzbier.

+1 Good stuff.

but how often did you buy the Schwarzbier? If it was not good enough for a repeat purchase - then that’s a problem for a brewery like buckbean.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 06:43 Mon 2/13/2012

Originally posted by StefanSD
Originally posted by erway
Originally posted by StefanSD
Anyone know how much it costs to set up a canning line? Perhaps they took on too much debt relative to income.

Depends on what kind of equipment you buy, but for them the costs were as follows;

Canning line: $100k
First run of cans: $30k

For 2 years, my brewery space at GABF was right next to his. I just hope the guy doesn’t lose his house.

Wow, thanks, I’ve wondered what that might cost. Considering you can set up a basic bottling system for under 1/10 of that this is a heavy cost on top of a lot of other necessary expenses.

I hope the brewer perseveres and finds a way to carry on.

A comparable bottling line would cost at least $55k new. We’re not talking all manual, takes 3 people all day to bottle/can 50 cases. Those machines are inherently flawed from a business standpoint.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 06:56 Mon 2/13/2012

sucks to see ’em go. beers weren’t amazing or anything, but they must have invested a ton of time and money into it