CAMRA chairman angry at BA magazine article

Reads 24578 • Replies 192 • Started Sunday, May 29, 2011 3:15:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen
 
tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 18:45 Sun 5/29/2011

This Conference believes in the beneficial health effects of real ale and believes that other ale products with chemical and gas additives can have a detrimental effect on public health. Conference believes that the differences between the two are significant and measurable, but acknowledges that research on this area has so far been minimal. Conference therefore resolves that CAMRA shall work with other interested parties to quantify the differences in health terms between real ale and other ale products.

Proposed by West Lancashire Branch

MOTION 14 - Passed

source - Camra homepage

 
JoeMcPhee
beers 11811 º places 543 º 18:46 Sun 5/29/2011

Originally posted by tdtm82
This Conference believes in the beneficial health effects of real ale and believes that other ale products with chemical and gas additives can have a detrimental effect on public health. Conference believes that the differences between the two are significant and measurable, but acknowledges that research on this area has so far been minimal. Conference therefore resolves that CAMRA shall work with other interested parties to quantify the differences in health terms between real ale and other ale products.

Proposed by West Lancashire Branch

MOTION 14 - Passed

source - Camra homepage


Wow - what a pile of rubbish.

 
HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 20:12 Sun 5/29/2011

Hey look! It’s a bunch of old traditionalists becoming scared and angry when something new threatens their old traditions!

 
TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 20:13 Sun 5/29/2011

Originally posted by HonkeyBra
Hey look! It’s a bunch of old traditionalists becoming scared and angry when something new threatens their old traditions!


So, our version of CAMRA over here is Major League Baseball?

 
HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 20:14 Sun 5/29/2011

Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by HonkeyBra
Hey look! It’s a bunch of old traditionalists becoming scared and angry when something new threatens their old traditions!


So, our version of CAMRA over here is Major League Baseball?


Joe Morgan and the CAMRA chairman would be best friends.

 
CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 20:54 Sun 5/29/2011

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
I can’t say "Beer Advocate sucks" now without having my post deleted (with no notification, I might add))? Seriously?

Do I need to move on to yet another beer site?

Man.

Let’s hope this is just an unlikely technical glitch and not an actual post deletion.


We like to keep things interesting and of highest quality for everyone here.


Criticizing Beer Advocate is uninteresting and low quality relative to every single other post here that isn’t deleted?

Isn’t this site sort of the firey upstart challenging Beer Advocate? Why not embrace the rivalry instead of trying to squelch it? The way Beer Advocate has been managed has endangered a lot of resentment and made the "Bros" a lot of enemies (In a low-key Interney sense, anyhow). Why not take advantage of that to generate passion and energy for your site? Be the clear alternative to their censorship and dictorialness by endangering an environment where free speech is encouraged and moderation is relaxed and friendly. Being a clear alternative would fill a market niche and attract a lot of people, whereas doing things the way they do them would just prompt people to go the larger better known site, if they have to pick one.

 
Cletus
beers 6351 º places 233 º 21:20 Sun 5/29/2011

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
I can’t say "Beer Advocate sucks" now without having my post deleted (with no notification, I might add))? Seriously?

Do I need to move on to yet another beer site?

Man.

Let’s hope this is just an unlikely technical glitch and not an actual post deletion.


We like to keep things interesting and of highest quality for everyone here.


Criticizing Beer Advocate is uninteresting and low quality relative to every single other post here that isn’t deleted?

Isn’t this site sort of the firey upstart challenging Beer Advocate? Why not embrace the rivalry instead of trying to squelch it? The way Beer Advocate has been managed has endangered a lot of resentment and made the "Bros" a lot of enemies (In a low-key Interney sense, anyhow). Why not take advantage of that to generate passion and energy for your site? Be the clear alternative to their censorship and dictorialness by endangering an environment where free speech is encouraged and moderation is relaxed and friendly. Being a clear alternative would fill a market niche and attract a lot of people, whereas doing things the way they do them would just prompt people to go the larger better known site, if they have to pick one.


This site has been around for 11 years. Hardly a "fiery upstart". Either way, how is posting a stupid dig about Beer Advocate helping the actual discussion about CAMRA in any way? Some basic common sense and logic should dictate here.

Back to the topic at hand, CAMRA is and always has been about a very specific side of the beer industry. It really is not and has not been about craft beer. If people in England want a craft beer advocacy group, they should organize and create one.

 
JorisPPattyn
beers 13047 º places 88 º 22:47 Sun 5/29/2011

Originally posted by MagicDave6
Originally posted by SilkTork
Originally posted by otakuden
craft beer is real ale and real ale is craft beer. they both stand for the same thing so it’s really a silly debate, imo. whether it’s filtered or unfiltered, what matters is the beer itself and the men and women who brew it, the community, and the men and women who love to drink these artisanal beers, both real ale and craft included.

i can drink to that


No they don’t stand for the same thing. There is a deep rooted misunderstanding regarding what CAMRA are about and what "craft beer" signifies.

They have similarities, but are very different.

CAMRA positions itself as a supporter of fresh, unfiltered beer.

Craft beer positions itself as a supporter of small brewers.

CAMRA supports fresh beer regardless of who makes it.

Craft beer supports filtered beer as long as it is made by a small brewer.

People in favour of CAMRA supporting "craft beer" are using the argument that craft brewers sometimes make tastier beer than producers of fresh beer, partly because fresh beer goes stale quicker than stabilised beer, and partly because a brewer can make good tasting or bad tasting beer regardless of if it is filtered afterwards.

CAMRA’s position is rather like that of Fair Trade. It doesn’t matter what the coffee tastes like, if the coffee producer is not paying the coffee plantation a fair amount for the beans, then it isn’t Fair Trade.

CAMRA supports fresh beer. Craft brewers don’t always sell fresh beer.

If a craft brewer ensures that its beer is always served fresh and without forced carbonation, then it would come under CAMRA’s umbrella.





Bollox Steve. The vast majority of beer, like 99% of your craft and real ale brewerys recommend you drink the beer asap. Shelf life is only a concideration once you start to pasturise beer. All brewers are aware(or should be), that wither you decide to cask your beer and let the pub condition it or be it filtered and brewery keg it, it should be had asap, unless stated otherwise.


My dear Tom, have you ever heard (retorical question) about a certain beer called lambic?

 
joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 23:22 Sun 5/29/2011

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
I can’t say "Beer Advocate sucks" now without having my post deleted (with no notification, I might add))? Seriously?

Do I need to move on to yet another beer site?

Man.

Let’s hope this is just an unlikely technical glitch and not an actual post deletion.


We like to keep things interesting and of highest quality for everyone here.


Criticizing Beer Advocate is uninteresting and low quality relative to every single other post here that isn’t deleted?

Isn’t this site sort of the firey upstart challenging Beer Advocate? Why not embrace the rivalry instead of trying to squelch it? The way Beer Advocate has been managed has endangered a lot of resentment and made the "Bros" a lot of enemies (In a low-key Interney sense, anyhow). Why not take advantage of that to generate passion and energy for your site? Be the clear alternative to their censorship and dictorialness by endangering an environment where free speech is encouraged and moderation is relaxed and friendly. Being a clear alternative would fill a market niche and attract a lot of people, whereas doing things the way they do them would just prompt people to go the larger better known site, if they have to pick one.


Make your criticisms of BA just as articulate and I’m sure they’ll be allowed next time. We try to be as free as we can possibly be while still keeping the forums enjoyable for everyone.

 
joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 23:22 Sun 5/29/2011

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by tdtm82
This Conference believes in the beneficial health effects of real ale and believes that other ale products with chemical and gas additives can have a detrimental effect on public health. Conference believes that the differences between the two are significant and measurable, but acknowledges that research on this area has so far been minimal. Conference therefore resolves that CAMRA shall work with other interested parties to quantify the differences in health terms between real ale and other ale products.

Proposed by West Lancashire Branch

MOTION 14 - Passed

source - Camra homepage


Wow - what a pile of rubbish.


Come on Joe, tell us how you really feel!