CAMRA chairman angry at BA magazine article

Reads 24722 • Replies 192 • Started Sunday, May 29, 2011 3:15:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Mjollnir
beers 522 º places 12 º 23:25 Sun 5/29/2011

Originally posted by tdtm82
This Conference believes in the beneficial health effects of real ale and believes that other ale products with chemical and gas additives can have a detrimental effect on public health. Conference believes that the differences between the two are significant and measurable, but acknowledges that research on this area has so far been minimal. Conference therefore resolves that CAMRA shall work with other interested parties to quantify the differences in health terms between real ale and other ale products.

Proposed by West Lancashire Branch

MOTION 14 - Passed

source - Camra homepage

I think CAMRA just trolled itself?

InvalidStout
00:25 Mon 5/30/2011

Originally posted by Mjollnir
Originally posted by tdtm82
This Conference believes in the beneficial health effects of real ale and believes that other ale products with chemical and gas additives can have a detrimental effect on public health. Conference believes that the differences between the two are significant and measurable, but acknowledges that research on this area has so far been minimal. Conference therefore resolves that CAMRA shall work with other interested parties to quantify the differences in health terms between real ale and other ale products.

MOTION 14 - Passed

source - Camra homepage

I think CAMRA just trolled itself?

Unfortunately quoting accurately would have given a result much less amusing to CAMRA-bashers:

MOTION 13 - Defeated

EdKing
beers 3500 º places 283 º 02:01 Mon 5/30/2011

Originally posted by InvalidStout
Originally posted by EdKing
Again, so there is clearly a gap in the UK consumer arena for an organisation that supports ’good beer’ in the UK and is not shackled by it having to be cask beer.

Again, someone should step up to this and start organising.

I suspect that whoever does step may find out that there is much less interest in such an organisation than some people make out.

CAMRA also campaigns for real cider, which is of course even further removed from real ale than keg beer is. The reason cider comes under CAMRA’s umbrella in the first place is that there are quite simply not enough people in the UK interested in real cider to sustain a viable independent organisation. Sad but true.

Whilst any new group would find it initially difficult to challenge CAMRA’s hegemony, the belief that what is happening in brewing in the rest of the world is not going to take off in the UK is pretty blinkered.

In London it’s growth is already starting to speed up with new bars and breweries starting up every few months. The exciting thing is that it is young people driving this forward both as brewers, bar managers and entrepreneurs. CAMRA is mainly full of older men and the new generation of beer lovers are younger and much more open minded.

Either CAMRA will be changed internally by younger members like me over time as the membership changes, or younger people like me will have to find an alternative organisation off the back of the growth in the ’craft beer/artisan scene’ scene in the UK.

But the belief that this scene will not go anywhere? Watch this space.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 04:08 Mon 5/30/2011

another boring brown bitter please.

harrisoni
beers 24749 º places 68 º 06:41 Mon 5/30/2011

There has been so much rubbish written in the last few months about craft/keg/good beer in the UK in the past few months. Anyone who thinks the Campaign for Real Ale will support keg beer just does not have the ability to read and understand words written in English. Does this make Camra wrong? No of cousre it does not. It means its the campaign for real ale. Blimey.

Is there a mass of keg craft beer floating around the UK? No there isnt. 99% of what is available is still cask and long may that remain. I have not had a keg beer that has the mouthfeel of a cask beer. I may be completely different to everyone else. I dont care.

And as for brown bitters. I have had two today alone that are excellent. Both locally brewed delivered direct to the pub and served brilliantly.

If there is all this keg around how come I am not seeing it? Yes in some bars in London but nit anywhere else.

Yes there are great beer styles around the world and I love pils and helles almost more than cask beer. But to keep saying cask beer is shit and we should ditch it all for a non existant keg revolution is completely daft.

Yes I am a dinosaur yes I am one of the few supporters of Camra on this site. Mainly because I get involved in Camra locally instead of throwing stones from the outside. Give me a pint of Old Dairy Spring Hop over any double imperial barrel aged to death keg bollocks from anywhere else. More flavour does not always mean better flavour. Subtlety and nuance seem to be words some people on this site clearly dont have in their dictionaries

harrisoni
beers 24749 º places 68 º 06:47 Mon 5/30/2011

Wow I was really angry there wasnt I?

But I just had to say it. I may be more reasoned when I sober up but I doubt it.

Yes there are some people in the UK who arent interested in drinking anything other brown bitter but does that make them wrong or evil? No I dont think so. Be thankful that you have been born with a need to have a more varied palate. There is room for us all in the beer drinking world.

Hoser
beers 388 º places 178 º 07:08 Mon 5/30/2011

Originally posted by Gary
another boring brown bitter please.

I thought it was have another golden ale. My month spend in England was painful there was not much great beer at all.

Fin
beers 16106 º places 1605 º 07:27 Mon 5/30/2011

Originally posted by harrisoni
There has been so much rubbish written in the last few months about craft/keg/good beer in the UK in the past few months. Anyone who thinks the Campaign for Real Ale will support keg beer just does not have the ability to read and understand words written in English. Does this make Camra wrong? No of cousre it does not. It means its the campaign for real ale. Blimey.

Is there a mass of keg craft beer floating around the UK? No there isnt. 99% of what is available is still cask and long may that remain. I have not had a keg beer that has the mouthfeel of a cask beer. I may be completely different to everyone else. I dont care.

And as for brown bitters. I have had two today alone that are excellent. Both locally brewed delivered direct to the pub and served brilliantly.

If there is all this keg around how come I am not seeing it? Yes in some bars in London but nit anywhere else.

Yes there are great beer styles around the world and I love pils and helles almost more than cask beer. But to keep saying cask beer is shit and we should ditch it all for a non existant keg revolution is completely daft.

Yes I am a dinosaur yes I am one of the few supporters of Camra on this site. Mainly because I get involved in Camra locally instead of throwing stones from the outside. Give me a pint of Old Dairy Spring Hop over any double imperial barrel aged to death keg bollocks from anywhere else. More flavour does not always mean better flavour. Subtlety and nuance seem to be words some people on this site clearly dont have in their dictionaries

I’m with you on this Ian, I also get involved in CAMRA and have done for some ahem...twenty plus years, and like Ian has said before it is better to be on the inside of the tent pissing out than the reverse. But like Ian, Craig and the others on this site who are a supporters of CAMRA this doesn’t stop my enjoyment of the many other types/styles (call it what you will) of beer that doesn’t slot into the CAMRA definition of what they support and promote.

It may well be that another group will start up in the UK to support the emergence of a small but growing new wave of beers and good luck to them, I may even be tempted to join.

Fin

JorisPPattyn
admin
beers 13214 º places 88 º 07:48 Mon 5/30/2011

Originally posted by harrisoni

Ian, you’re utterly missing the point what this is all about. Of course CAMRA hasn’t to stand for kegged beer, if they don’t like it.
This is about having the right on a divergent opinion, and voice it, even if almighty CAMRA doesn’t agree. Anybody daring to maintain that in all kinds of beer there might be a piece of gold, and everybody that dares to say he would prefer a good bottle-conditioned beer to a poor cask, is immediately vilified by a vociferous minority in CAMRA.
And on top of that, the CAMRA chairman indulged in a free attack on the people he percieves as a threat - and in a very uncouth way, at that - who were in no position to defend themselves.

harrisoni
beers 24749 º places 68 º 08:50 Mon 5/30/2011

Originally posted by JorisPPattyn

Ian, you’re utterly missing the point what this is all about. Of course CAMRA hasn’t to stand for kegged beer, if they don’t like it.
This is about having the right on a divergent opinion, and voice it, even if almighty CAMRA doesn’t agree. Anybody daring to maintain that in all kinds of beer there might be a piece of gold, and everybody that dares to say he would prefer a good bottle-conditioned beer to a poor cask, is immediately vilified by a vociferous minority in CAMRA.
And on top of that, the CAMRA chairman indulged in a free attack on the people he percieves as a threat - and in a very uncouth way, at that - who were in no position to defend themselves.

To be honest Joris, I was ranting against the people who think that all new craft keg beer is wonderful and all old style cask beer is outmoded and should be binned. I read somewhere on here that Britain doesn’t produce as good a beer as the stuff from the States. For me that is by far a more shocking statement.

Absolutely the Camra chairman makes a complete arse of himself, but it still doesn’t mean that the hundreds of local Camra branch members who do sterling work promoting cask conditioned beer are wrong. Just because someone likes Black Sheep Best Bitter over Dark Star American Pale Ale, doesn’t mean they are wrong or trying to stop good/craft beer being made. It’s just their preference.

And since when has Camra stopped me or anyone else enjoying whatever beer that they want? They support Meantime and since when have they produced a cask conditioned beer? No one from Camra has come up to me at a bar and said "you can’t drink that."

As for bottle conditioned beer, well who is the best new brewery in London in the past year? Kernel. What do they make? 90% of their production is bottle conditioned beer. Liked by Camra as it’s real ale and like by people who like a wider palate as they are prepared to make distinctive, big flavoured but still well balanced beers.

As I say, yes, the Chairman doesn’t do himself any favours, but let’s not chuck the baby out with the bath water eh?