Cashmere & Comet Hops

Reads 1154 • Replies 3 • Started Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:54:56 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
05:54 Thu 3/3/2016

Any of you all used either of these hops?

Cashmere
Alpha Acid: 10.2%
Dual Purpose hop with a strong melon, lemon, lime and slightly spicy notes. A mild herbal aroma, spiced candy fruit basket.

Comet
Alpha Acid: 11.7%
Bittering Hop with a unique wild american aroma, and wonderful zesty grapefruit, lemon, and orange notes.

How about the 2015 Citra crop? How is it smelling and tasting?

rudolf
beers 2359 º places 104 º 06:44 Thu 3/3/2016

Haven’t used cashmere but had a few beers that were made with it when it was released at cbc 2 years ago. Seemed like a nice hop overall, but there was some coconut and vanilla, along the lines of what you sometimes get in sorachi.

Again, haven’t used comet, but have heard from one of NY’s best hop forward brewers that he expected it to be one of the next "it" hops.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 07:43 Thu 3/3/2016

I’ve heard similar things as rudolf about both, but don’t have any first hand experience with either hop yet. I looked into getting some Comet but could only get 44# bags so I moved on to something else for the moment, maybe we’ll come back to it.

Along the same lines, does anyone have any experience with the newly named hop Denali, formerly experimental #06277 aka Nuggetzilla?

HornyDevil
11:23 Thu 3/3/2016

Just ordered a pound of each along with a pound of Archer, a new(er) UK varietal, just because it sounded interesting:

Alpha Acid 4-6%
Aroma hop with apricot, peach, lime and floral notes

Total, with shipping, was about $78 and since HopsDirect’s pounds tend to be about 18 oz., that rounds out to about $1.45 per oz. Not bad, IMO.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer