Celebrating milestones

Reads 924 • Replies 23 • Started Sunday, January 8, 2017 6:52:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 18:52 Sun 1/8/2017

If you use both...
Do you celebrate untappd milestones as well as ratebeer?

Seems to me like a good excuse to break out the good stuff.

Really my only complaint about ratebeer is the number of beers aliased that are different.
There’s no perfect system, but when you add vintages of yearly beers (most of which have yearly tweaks) - and casks & dry hopped treatments my untappd number is 25-30% higher than my ratebeer number. And probably the more accurate of the two.

There’s lots of gratuitous "vintages" on untappd, but I avoid those.
I’ve also been told they are in the process of deleting vintages unless the package is labeled with the year (not sure how that applies to tap only beers).

rennat42
beers 5357 º places 205 º 19:39 Sun 1/8/2017

I usually try to have some really good every 100 rates and something really special every 1,000.

I only use Untappd for backup purposes and actually have more rates on here due to sakes and whatnot.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 19:44 Sun 1/8/2017

Other than 10k, I haven’t done or drank anything special at milestones.

I use Untappd now when I’m mobile since live rating on RateBeer has had its challenges. I continue to be amazed that I get 1-3 new badges with about every other rating.

I don’t really pay attention to vintages. All beer recipes tend to evolve over time. I’ll re-rate a beer if my opinion of it has changed significantly.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 19:46 Sun 1/8/2017

Stopped with milestones many years ago. Mainly celebrate good times with good people and break out whatever is cool at that time.

Not saying people shouldn’t, but the less I care about beer the more I seem to be able to enjoy it.

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 20:26 Sun 1/8/2017

Saved a well aged PBR for 4K, since I just write reviews and add them when I can. 4K was always my goal when I started, so the rest is for fun.

Goodness. Do you manage to celebrate every new "badge"?

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 21:32 Sun 1/8/2017

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer

I DID manage a "bar explorer" level up for checking in to my kid’s school with a beer, but no. No I do not.
2:00 in the boxfor being off topic.

bytemesis
beers 15314 º places 1595 º 21:45 Sun 1/8/2017

I am not untaped, so no.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 02:18 Mon 1/9/2017

Originally posted by slowrunner77
If you use both...
Do you celebrate untappd milestones as well as ratebeer?

Seems to me like a good excuse to break out the good stuff.

Really my only complaint about ratebeer is the number of beers aliased that are different.
There’s no perfect system, but when you add vintages of yearly beers (most of which have yearly tweaks) - and casks & dry hopped treatments my untappd number is 25-30% higher than my ratebeer number. And probably the more accurate of the two.

I’ve got an account at Untappd because someone has asked me to review their homebrews, but otherwise I never use it.

I’m glad that RB aliases yearly beers. Yearly tweaks are similar to minor batch variations imo, so they don’t warrant a seperate entry.

CH-303
beers 4549 º places 137 º 02:20 Mon 1/9/2017

I try to break out a special one every 1000, for my rating #2000 I did Goose Island Bourbon County Stout .

Originally posted by slowrunner77
Originally posted by ContemplateBeer

I DID manage a "bar explorer" level up for checking in to my kid’s school with a beer, but no. No I do not.
2:00 in the boxfor being off topic.
Hah! My wife does untappd to keep track of her new ticks. 251 beers, 152 badges! It’s a bit much.