Chimay Triple expiration date

Reads 3124 • Replies 4 • Started Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:52:36 PM CT

Thread Frozen

Remy
16:52 Tue 1/22/2008

Hello everyone,

Today I got some some Chimay triples (white) at the supermarket, and I just noticed that the label says "best before 2007". Damn supermarket, selling out of date products! I know that Chimay blue can be drunk after a few years, but what about the white? Did I get ripped off, or can a triple be good after its expiration date?

Thanks,

Remy

xmarcnolanx
beers 929 º places 1 º 17:02 Tue 1/22/2008

Originally posted by Remy
Hello everyone,

Today I got some some Chimay triples (white) at the supermarket, and I just noticed that the label says "best before 2007". Damn supermarket, selling out of date products! I know that Chimay blue can be drunk after a few years, but what about the white? Did I get ripped off, or can a triple be good after its expiration date?

Thanks,

Remy

It is still drinking good most probably. It is 8 percent, so depending on how it was handled should be more than fine.

beastiefan2k
beers 3644 º places 246 º 18:38 Tue 1/22/2008

it might even be better than fresh. Find yourself a fresher bottle compare and tell use the results. . Then age another bottle for a few more years and tell us how that works out.

PilsnerPeter
beers 3045 º places 100 º 19:10 Tue 1/22/2008

as long as it hasnít been mistreated it should be in itís prime.

RollinHard
beers 1024 º 22:14 Tue 1/22/2008

Yeah, I had a Chimay White that was stored over a year old, stored at my house at room temperature for 1 year pretty much exactly. It was excellent. Basically the edges were all smoothed and the peppery qualities that the beer has when fresh were the most downplayed, letting you taste a bit more well rounded malt flavors. No sign of any oxidation at all, even considering the hot Texas summer it had to withstand.