Cloudy Beer

Reads 3492 • Replies 27 • Started Friday, July 31, 2015 4:50:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 08:42 Wed 8/5/2015

Tannil A.

Fratto
beers 2845 º 09:53 Wed 8/5/2015

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Other tricks are to add baking flour to boil. It’s an old trick in homebrew books for making witbier look cloudy.

I’d have never thought of that.

skinnyguy
10:23 Wed 8/5/2015

Originally posted by Fratto
Other tricks are to add baking flour to boil. It’s an old trick in homebrew books for making witbier look cloudy.

That might work if you consumed it all while very young. Otherwise, the starch would almost guarantee bacterial contamination.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 16:25 Wed 8/5/2015

Originally posted by skinnyguy

That might work if you consumed it all while very young. Otherwise, the starch would almost guarantee bacterial contamination.

huh? I said to the boil. As in, you boil the flour. How would contamination occur?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 16:27 Wed 8/5/2015

Originally posted by erway
Tannil A.

Yeah, that’s getting pretty fancy for homebrew though &#59;) I know a food scientist that works for Ajinomoto and was telling me about their marketing of various tannins to brewers (I’m assuming that’s what you’re talking about?). Pretty fascinating stuff.

skinnyguy
09:48 Thu 8/6/2015

huh? I said to the boil. As in, you boil the flour. How would contamination occur?

Guarantee may have been a strong word *edit*. Increase the likelihood of?

Caleb- feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t starch a very accessible food for bacteria, especially lacto?

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 11:08 Thu 8/6/2015

Guarantee may have been a strong beer. Increase the likelihood of?

Caleb- feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t starch a very accessible food for bacteria, especially lacto?

Why wouldn’t it be fermented just like all the rest of the *starches* being boiled in the kettle?

skinnyguy
11:15 Thu 8/6/2015

Originally posted by Erlangernick

Guarantee may have been a strong beer. Increase the likelihood of?

Why wouldn’t it be fermented just like all the rest of the *starches* being boiled in the kettle?

Those are no longer starches. They have been converted to fermentable sugar. If your mash did not fully convert the starch to sugar, it would carry through into the fermentation the same way, and sach yeast cannot consume starch.

Fratto
beers 2845 º 23:29 Thu 8/6/2015

Tannil A.

Yeah, that’s getting pretty fancy for homebrew though &#59&#59;) I know a food scientist that works for Ajinomoto and was telling me about their marketing of various tannins to brewers (I’m assuming that’s what you’re talking about?). Pretty fascinating stuff.

Yeah, when I googled that to see what it was, this thread popped up. I figured that was a sign that I was in over my head.

skinnyguy
09:07 Fri 8/7/2015

Tannil A.

Yeah, that’s getting pretty fancy for homebrew though &#59&#59&#59;) I know a food scientist that works for Ajinomoto and was telling me about their marketing of various tannins to brewers (I’m assuming that’s what you’re talking about?). Pretty fascinating stuff.

Yeah, when I googled that to see what it was, this thread popped up. I figured that was a sign that I was in over my head.

Yeah, no idea on that one. Is it something that homebrewers could purchase? I am curious about it now.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer