College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227515 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 18:14 Mon 10/3/2011

Originally posted by hopscotch
Anticipating the Florida/LSU clash this coming weekend, I was checking out some stats on LSU’s defense versus their first five opponents. I’ll list the number of offensive yards LSU gave up to each opponent and then the opponent’s average number of yards per game (excluding the LSU game). The number of TDs LSU gave up to each opponent and then the opponent’s average number of TDs per game (excluding the LSU game). Hey, I’m not a total geek. I’m still laid up with pneumonia and have already watched every single movie I have on DVD and yes, even VHS. I’m just glad I feel good enough to sit up long enough to do this. Enjoy the service.

Oregon
Total Yards - 335
Average YPG - 600
TDs - 3
Average TDs per game - 8

Northwestern State
Total Yards - 95
Average YPG - 397.3
TDs - 0
Average TDs per game - 3

Mississippi State
Total Yards - 193
Average YPG - 431.75
TDs - 0
Average TDs per game - 3.25

West Virginia
Total Yards - 533
Average YPG - 486.75
TDs - 3
Average TDs per game - 5

Kentucky
Total Yards - 155
Average YPG - 280.75
TDs - 1
Average TDs per game - 2

I guess these stats show two things. The first being that LSU’s defense is very good. The second being (thanks to WVU’s gaudy offensive numbers in that one particular game) that offensive stats don’t mean shit without including turnovers and points scored off of turnovers... and that stats can be used out-of-context to absolutely anyone’s advantage.

Fuck stats!

What a waste of time. I should’ve taken a nap instead.

Final analysis:

After seeing what Alabama did against Florida, I anticipate about the same result in the Florida/LSU game as LSU seems to run the ball just as effectively as Alabama and throw the ball a little better.

I absolutely can’t wait for the Alabama/LSU game. I’m going with Alabama in that one. Basically, because Alabama is better coached and has home field advantage.

You wipe off the dust on the From Dusk Til Dawn VHS tape?

We all know thats your go-to drunk movie.

I know, because Ive watched it at least 6 times out of one eye at your house at various tastings and other shindigs.

If you look closely Salma Hayek had a WVU logo on her panties during that strip scene I think.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:52 Tue 10/4/2011

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 08:58 Tue 10/4/2011

Originally posted by mgumby10
Originally posted by hopscotch
Anticipating the Florida/LSU clash this coming weekend, I was checking out some stats on LSU’s defense versus their first five opponents. I’ll list the number of offensive yards LSU gave up to each opponent and then the opponent’s average number of yards per game (excluding the LSU game). The number of TDs LSU gave up to each opponent and then the opponent’s average number of TDs per game (excluding the LSU game). Hey, I’m not a total geek. I’m still laid up with pneumonia and have already watched every single movie I have on DVD and yes, even VHS. I’m just glad I feel good enough to sit up long enough to do this. Enjoy the service.

Oregon
Total Yards - 335
Average YPG - 600
TDs - 3
Average TDs per game - 8

Northwestern State
Total Yards - 95
Average YPG - 397.3
TDs - 0
Average TDs per game - 3

Mississippi State
Total Yards - 193
Average YPG - 431.75
TDs - 0
Average TDs per game - 3.25

West Virginia
Total Yards - 533
Average YPG - 486.75
TDs - 3
Average TDs per game - 5

Kentucky
Total Yards - 155
Average YPG - 280.75
TDs - 1
Average TDs per game - 2

I guess these stats show two things. The first being that LSU’s defense is very good. The second being (thanks to WVU’s gaudy offensive numbers in that one particular game) that offensive stats don’t mean shit without including turnovers and points scored off of turnovers... and that stats can be used out-of-context to absolutely anyone’s advantage.

Fuck stats!

What a waste of time. I should’ve taken a nap instead.

Final analysis:

After seeing what Alabama did against Florida, I anticipate about the same result in the Florida/LSU game as LSU seems to run the ball just as effectively as Alabama and throw the ball a little better.

I absolutely can’t wait for the Alabama/LSU game. I’m going with Alabama in that one. Basically, because Alabama is better coached and has home field advantage.

You wipe off the dust on the From Dusk Til Dawn VHS tape?

We all know thats your go-to drunk movie.

I know, because Ive watched it at least 6 times out of one eye at your house at various tastings and other shindigs.

If you look closely Salma Hayek had a WVU logo on her panties during that strip scene I think.

Totally forgot that one. Thanks, bro.

I don’t know about her panties, but she was definitely wearing WVU pasties.

Do we need a new "Retardo" thread?

I think George Clooney said it best when he said...

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:05 Tue 10/4/2011

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 11:08 Tue 10/4/2011

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:15 Tue 10/4/2011

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 12:01 Wed 10/5/2011

Mizzou officially exploring options, i.e. bolting the Big 12, i.e. likely to jump to the SEC.

Jim Delany, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:03 Wed 10/5/2011

Originally posted by JoeinEscazú
Mizzou officially exploring options, i.e. bolting the Big 12, i.e. likely to jump to the SEC.

Jim Delany, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/texas/ci_19046355

Still sounds like the B1G has no interest.. and Mizzou would still take an offer from them in a heartbeat.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:50 Thu 10/6/2011

Grumblings are TCU has accepted an invite from the Big 12. They’ll owe a 5mil exit fee, but won’t be bound to the 27 month notification time. This bodes poorly for the Big East, and shows a possible lifeline for the Big 12.. They still await a committment from Mizzou (Who I think WILL leave). They’ll likely fill in their conference with BYU and some other Big East teams (WVU, Louisville, Cincy have been mentioned)

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 12:56 Thu 10/6/2011

If the Big East retains its BCS status after 2013, I would prefer West Virginia stay there as it’s currently the easiest road to a BCS bowl game and Big East Basketball can certainly absorb the hit of losing Syracuse and Pitt. Hell, so can Big East football for that matter since both programs have been meaningless in football for almost a decade.

It’s just a matter of the BCS committee deciding there is no other conference worthy of that fifth automatic bid or not deciding to eliminate that fifth bid altogether. Currently, the Big East is 4-1 against the ACC this season... not that that matters at all. I just like taking shots at the ACC whenever I can. Conference-wise, I’ve got no one else to shit on... oh, wait C-USA!