College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227548 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 18:04 Wed 8/17/2011

Originally posted by mgumby10
Somebody talk me away from the ledge...

Dude, you’re the fuckin’ soldier!

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 18:31 Wed 8/17/2011

Amazing that regular season wins, bowl wins and possibly national championships, could be forfeited by four other schools if certain players recruited by Shapiro are declared ineligible.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 18:48 Wed 8/17/2011

Can someone please send me a private beermail with the cell phone numbers of:
Keith Brown
Jelani Hamilton
Angelo Jean-Louis
Randy Johnson
Raphael Kirby
Amos Leggett
Trent Taylor

I have some texting to do.

Thanks guys. -Dana Holgorsen

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 19:23 Wed 8/17/2011

Originally posted by hopscotch
Amazing that regular season wins, bowl wins and possibly national championships, could be forfeited by four other schools if certain players recruited by Shapiro are declared ineligible.

No shit man. Coaches at other schools, Bama and UF to name two, may lose their jobs over this. And golden got fucked in this debacle, seems as if Miami knew they were under investigation, but failed to reveal that nugget of information, and that is low.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 19:26 Wed 8/17/2011

The gravity of this has really sunk in.

The question is.. how fast can the NCAA work (It looks like a ton of work is already done for them) and what kind of penalties will we see?

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 05:18 Thu 8/18/2011

After the effect the death penalty had on SMU, I honestly thought we would never see it used again, but I think the Miami situation changed my opinion. If all the allegations regarding the complicit involvement of coaches are indeed true, I honestly believe Hurricane football is going to disappear for a bit. I think Miami football, if the punishment is to fit the crime, will cease to exist in any meaningful way for many years to come.

Bigger question, how does the NCAA re-brand itself after all of the major scandals as of late? Will we ever see major programs jump ship and form a new association?

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 05:28 Thu 8/18/2011

Originally posted by hopscotch

Nothing is going to happen to the players that didn’t go to Miami. Most of them have already been cleared.

From what I read, Godfrey MAY have been guilty of being taken into Shapiro’s luxury box during a recruiting visit and receiving an expensive meal. He isn’t going to be ruled ineligible for that.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 05:37 Thu 8/18/2011

As for the UCF investigation, we may get hit with some minor sanctions in basketball. Basically, we had a dope, Ken Caldwell, pimping us out and he shouldn’t have been. The guy had a son at UCF, was legal guardian of a UCF basketball player and close to another player. Supposedly his son, the student at UCF, let a recruit stay at his apartment. Our coaches knew this guy, but I hardly he was being supported by the administration the way Shapiro was.

I don’t think anything major will come out of it, and Football shouldn’t be effected.

OrlGamecock
08:25 Thu 8/18/2011

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
As for the UCF investigation, we may get hit with some minor sanctions in basketball. Basically, we had a dope, Ken Caldwell, pimping us out and he shouldn’t have been. The guy had a son at UCF, was legal guardian of a UCF basketball player and close to another player. Supposedly his son, the student at UCF, let a recruit stay at his apartment. Our coaches knew this guy, but I hardly he was being supported by the administration the way Shapiro was.

I don’t think anything major will come out of it, and Football shouldn’t be effected.

Football shouldn’t be effected... Does that mean you are going to continue to be mediocre and irrelevant?????????

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 10:23 Thu 8/18/2011

LOL Tyler Gabbert visiting UCF LOL

Offer him a scholly.. go ahead.. take him..