College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227537 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beernovice39
beers 3269 º places 250 º 05:01 Sat 11/19/2011

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Originally posted by OrlGamecock
BTW, my prediction at the beginning of the season was gamecocks going 10-2, looks like another success. I really don’t see Clemson beating us. Anyone else get close, I know J and Cheese didn’t.

You also predicted the Gamecocks winning the east and going to Atlanta, odd that you would leave that bit of information out. Clemson by 10 BTW.

Still, his prediction was much closer than the one you made for your junior dawgs.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 07:13 Sat 11/19/2011

Originally posted by beernovice39
Originally posted by OrlGamecock
BTW, my prediction at the beginning of the season was gamecocks going 10-2, looks like another success. I really don’t see Clemson beating us. Anyone else get close, I know J and Cheese didn’t.

You also predicted the Gamecocks winning the east and going to Atlanta, odd that you would leave that bit of information out. Clemson by 10 BTW.

Still, his prediction was much closer than the one you made for your junior dawgs.

Fuck you, Clemson by 17 now.

Cajun
beers 609 º places 4 º 08:38 Sat 11/19/2011

Originally posted by jzzbassman
The haters of the dominance of the SEC will have their head explode if the LSU-Bama rematch happens the way it is setting up

How much irony would there be if my dreams came true and Bama won the National Championship this year with 2 major assists from Auburn men in Paul Rhoads ISU team and Tommy Tubberville’s Red Raiders?

I’d probably be better for ’Bama just to get a great BCS Bowl game and kick the crap out of whoever faces them. Getting another shot at LSU in the SUPERDOME is just going to break your hearts. You already had your shot at homefield advantage. If LSU gets past Arkansas and the SEC Championship game, NO WAY we lose in New Orleans. Just sayin’. If we get to New Orleans, I’m there! I went to the game vs Ohio State and came home broke and happy!

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:48 Sat 11/19/2011

Welp, here we go..

My team has all sorts of problems on the road.. really hope they can take it to a team riding really high after their win against the Buckeyes last weekend.. get a little momentum running into black Friday @ Nebby.

Beerlando
beers 3343 º places 70 º 09:21 Sat 11/19/2011

Damn....these Friday night games suck. et again, I miss out on a gimmie pick. Argh!

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 09:37 Sat 11/19/2011

Not much hope playing in Little Rock today, but stranger things have happened.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 11:17 Sat 11/19/2011

Not much hope playing in Little Rock today, but stranger things have happened.

Go Hogs!

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 11:57 Sat 11/19/2011

Originally posted by mgumby10
Originally posted by hopscotch
Originally posted by mgumby10
Current top 5 active streaks of a school’s alumni scoring an NFL TD:

Miami (FL) - 149

Pittsburgh - 12

Tennessee - 5

Minnesota - 5

LSU - 4

Virginia - 4

Western Michigan - 4

Again...this is the most underappreciated streak in sports history. Almost unfathomable.

Just trying to inject some life inot this thread on a slow Thursday.

Discuss.

Poor weekend for college matchups... except LSU/Bama. WVU doesn’t even play.

I’m thinking Shady probably scored those five straight touchdowns as a Pitt alum. Am I right? Other than Miami fans, who knows or gives a shit about this? I mean, this is something that could only be on a Miami message board. It’s just not information that’s out there... mainly because only Miami fans would even care.

Not a fan of ridiculously incredible sports streaks Starnes?

I know thats not true, you’ve got a Cal Ripken newspaper framed up on your wall in your guest room. Ive passed out numerous times in there so I remember.

Dont let your hate for Miami allow you not to enjoy this.

Nah, it’s not my hate for Miami.
They are two entirely different kinds of streaks.

All baseball fans know who Cal Ripken is and what he accomplished.

All college football fans know about Alabama and Notre Dame and are aware of their accomplishments.

The streak, you’re talking about, although impressive, is so loosely associated that practically all NFL and college football fans have no idea it exists. Most of these former Miami players did not even compete together in college. Most NFL fans don’t even know where their favorite players attended college. This streatk goes unnoticed and unmentioned by everyone except Miami fans and the folks they share it with.

I would have no idea it exists if you didn’t tell me about it every week.

Tell me quickly - Who hit the most home runs in a single season in major league baseball history? How many home runs did he hit that season? Easy to answer.

Real quick - What NFL team has won the most Super Bowls? Easy to answer.

Quick -Tell me what college football program has had at least one alumnus score at least one touchdown during the past 149 consecutive weeks... in the NFL? Ummm... errr... can you please repeat the question, Alex Trebek?

See what I mean? No one knows. Too loosely associated. NFL announcers don’t even talk about it when a Miami Alum scores except maybe the Dolphins radio announcers... maybe.

Doesn’t mean it’s not cool. Just means most sports fans don’t know, don’t care and don’t acknowledge it.

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 12:17 Sat 11/19/2011

Whew, I can see why UGA and Ga Tech want no part of playing GA Southern and their triple option attack. Before halftime they join Arkansas as the only other team to score 2 td’s on Bama’s D this year. Crazy offense....last td due to the safeties having to help on the pitch and the QB pops one over the d for a touchdown.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:26 Sat 11/19/2011

10 pt win on the road to Purdue in an ugly game.

With all the mediocrity in the B1G this year, looking good for a New Years Day bowl in a down year. Big game @ Nebby on Friday.. But even a loss might put us in the Gator Bowl with some other teams falling today..