College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227553 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 17:58 Mon 12/5/2011

Originally posted by TheAlum

For example, Cheese throws it right back at me.. and then messages me to talk shit about JJ at the same time.

Now this I agree with. And for further clarification, I send nothing in BMs that has not already been posted here. But I live for shit talking.

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 18:48 Mon 12/5/2011

Either way, back on task.. I’m a little wary of my own bowl game. With no one wanting Penn State (9-3), Iowa rose up the ladder way too far for a rebuilding year.. biggest initial spread out of Vegas. Compelling match-up with Bobby though

And it appears Miami offered 4-Star Greg Garmon today, whose had Iowa as his #1 for a couple months now after several visits. We’ll see what becomes of that.

Didnt hear about that at all. We are looking for one more back apparently. We’ve got a top 3 RB in the country committed in Duke Johnson (kid might start freshman year if Miller leaves early, he’s that sick), and a second bigger back in Danny Dillard.

Apparently there is some interest in recently decommited RB from the Gators Mike Davis. He is teammates with another of our commits stud 4* linebacker Raphael Kirby so that can only help. We’re trying to load up on RB’s.

Hadnt heard about garmon though. I’d take him. Need to get him down for a visit to have a chance.

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 18:56 Mon 12/5/2011

Also, Tommy "Stretch em Out" Streeter and Marcus Forston announced they are leaving early for the draft today. Pretty laughable because neither are first rounders, or even close at this point. Definitely hurts though.

If Lamar Miller leaves too, our two best offensive players this year will be gone and it will sting.

Also, 4 star CB A.J. Leggett decommited today because he was informed by our staff that he would not qualify. Kid went to 4 different high schools and academics are a mess. We were up front with him about it, and told him he’d have to go to prep school for a year in order to qualify for Miami. All class from Golden Al.

Been a fairly crappy day for Cane news today, although we did get a JUCO corner commit with experience, but not the same talent as a Leggett.

OrlGamecock
21:27 Mon 12/5/2011

Originally posted by mgumby10
Either way, back on task.. I’m a little wary of my own bowl game. With no one wanting Penn State (9-3), Iowa rose up the ladder way too far for a rebuilding year.. biggest initial spread out of Vegas. Compelling match-up with Bobby though

And it appears Miami offered 4-Star Greg Garmon today, whose had Iowa as his #1 for a couple months now after several visits. We’ll see what becomes of that.

Didnt hear about that at all. We are looking for one more back apparently. We’ve got a top 3 RB in the country committed in Duke Johnson (kid might start freshman year if Miller leaves early, he’s that sick), and a second bigger back in Danny Dillard.

Apparently there is some interest in recently decommited RB from the Gators Mike Davis. He is teammates with another of our commits stud 4* linebacker Raphael Kirby so that can only help. We’re trying to load up on RB’s.

Hadnt heard about garmon though. I’d take him. Need to get him down for a visit to have a chance.

We’re pushing hard on Davis

beernovice39
beers 3269 º places 250 º 02:23 Tue 12/6/2011

Originally posted by beernovice39
Anyone up for dinner Tuesday night 12/13 before cheese picks up my tab at RLRL? I like Thai or Mexican etc. I hope to be in town by 5 at the latest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64

OrlGamecock
04:11 Tue 12/6/2011

Anyone up for dinner Tuesday night 12/13 before cheese picks up my tab at RLRL? I like Thai or Mexican etc. I hope to be in town by 5 at the latest.

I might be able to will have to see as it gets closer to the date. I’ll definitely come up to redlight for some beer.

beernovice39
beers 3269 º places 250 º 06:52 Tue 12/6/2011

Originally posted by OrlGamecock

I might be able to will have to see as it gets closer to the date. I’ll definitely come up to redlight for some beer.

Sounds good

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 07:48 Tue 12/6/2011

OK, where should we start a nice long College Basketball Thread? In a random Metro forum or OT-Lite? No. 10 Mizzou is playing Villanova tonight and I’m anxious to talk about it and pretend that the rest of you care.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 07:53 Tue 12/6/2011

Originally posted by JoeinEscazú
OK, where should we start a nice long College Basketball Thread? In a random Metro forum or OT-Lite? No. 10 Mizzou is playing Villanova tonight and I’m anxious to talk about it and pretend that the rest of you care.

Do it right here, this thread has always evolved into BB talk. If you are concerned at upsetting the sensibilities of the whiners from Iowa or South Carolina, OTL would be my suggestion.

I think Mizzou is going to be very strong in basketball from the start when they enter the SEC. Obviously Kentucky rules the roost, but with no divisions any longer, you guys are certainly going to shake it up a bit.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 07:59 Tue 12/6/2011

I’m concerned Mizzou will have to alter their recruiting pretty significantly for the SEC.

Well, it’s not like Mizzou doesn’t try to recruit good defensive players. Actually, look at the guys we’ve been putting in the NFL in recent years... Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Ziggy Hood, William Moore, CJ Mosely, Sean Weatherspoon... The Big 12 is loaded with prolific offenses but Mizzou’s success in recent years is arguably due to competitive defense. Which is a relative thing, obviously. It wouldn’t even come close to elite SEC teams.

From a football perspective, I’m totally fascinated by the Big 12-SEC culture clash when it comes to offense and defense. I’m not sure the smart thing is to try to play like an SEC team. Mizzou should first play its style the best it can and see what happens. Then tweak.

My gut says that we’re going to feast on the middle-tier SEC teams and lose to the big guys. And Georgia is coming up to Columbia next year. That should be interesting.