College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227516 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 08:33 Mon 12/12/2011

Originally posted by TheAlum
Sounds like Garmon really enjoyed his visit to Miami this weekend.

It’s either him or Akeel Lynch for us for that RB spot..

Which you are definitely right on.. I wonder why they are pressing hard for him with 2 already great RB commits in your huge (28.. shit.. and I thought the SEC was an oversigning nightmare) class..

Are you just replying to yourself now so we will think somebody else actually cares about Iowa?

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 08:38 Mon 12/12/2011

Originally posted by GodOfThunder

Which you are definitely right on.. I wonder why they are pressing hard for him with 2 already great RB commits in your huge (28.. shit.. and I thought the SEC was an oversigning nightmare) class..

Are you just replying to yourself now so we will think somebody else actually cares about Iowa?

This is actually pretty funny.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:41 Mon 12/12/2011

..Are you really attempting to make fun of someone else related to football relevance?

Really??

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 08:42 Mon 12/12/2011

I wonder how many of those twenty-eight are going to be early/winter enrolls.
I think you can have seven, eight or so of those and they don’t count against that magic number of twenty-eight for the 2012 class. You can correct me on that. I’m flying semi-blind here.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 13:41 Mon 12/12/2011

Did you really lose out on that QB commit you recruited to Princeton? Furthermore, did he break his commit to UCF?

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 15:08 Mon 12/12/2011

Eric, correct about 7 or 8 will be early enrollees. You can have a max of 25 per class plus whatever you can early enroll counting towards last years class but you must have the extra space in that class. We signed 18 kids last year so we should have room for 7 EE. You still have to stay at 85 total ships though. Miami had 2 extra ships avail, 20 graduating seniors, and 3 juniors have declared for NFL so far, so we already have 25 avail ships for next year. Factor in transfers, other NFL detections, and kids not qualifying academically in incoming class and we’ll be at 85.

We have at least 3-4 kids wavering in their commitments right now so we’re still going after everybody hard. Can’t get caught with your pants down if a kid decommits late in the game. Lamar Miller just declared for NFL today so we have a need at RB, with just 2 guys left on roster with playing experience and just 3 backs total. That’s why we’re going after Garmon, Wes Brown, Mike Davis, etc.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 15:41 Mon 12/12/2011

Did you really lose out on that QB commit you recruited to Princeton? Furthermore, did he break his commit to UCF?

I know it doesn’t happen too often in Iowa, but in Florida, sometimes kids choose a school because it gives them the best education and opportunities for their future. We had another kid decommit to go to Wake Forest.

In other news, Jeff Godfrey is transferring out of UCF after his sophomore slump. He thinks he is going to Miami. Doubt it. So this leaves us with 1 QB on the roster, and a garbage recruiting class.

Hopefully Roof can recruit, because we need some help.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 16:22 Mon 12/12/2011

I know it doesn’t happen too often in Iowa, but in Florida, sometimes kids choose a school because it gives them the best education and opportunities for their future. We had another kid decommit to go to Wake Forest.

In other news, Jeff Godfrey is transferring out of UCF after his sophomore slump. He thinks he is going to Miami. Doubt it. So this leaves us with 1 QB on the roster, and a garbage recruiting class.

Though I thought he was a good recruiter, rivals has a handy coach tool. RIVALS You can look up the recruits he has landed and he was a master 3 star recruiter (Yuck). His only good grab was our stud TE Lutz. Should be solid at maintaining the pipeline of average recruits to UCF.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 16:58 Mon 12/12/2011

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig

Though I thought he was a good recruiter, rivals has a handy coach tool. RIVALS You can look up the recruits he has landed and he was a master 3 star recruiter (Yuck). His only good grab was our stud TE Lutz. Should be solid at maintaining the pipeline of average recruits to UCF.

Yeah, Rivals does a great breakdown of recruiting by coach including targets and commits.

They also give out awards at the end of the season to said coaches.

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 18:27 Mon 12/12/2011

I’d take Godfrey, we need a decent cornerback we’re depleted there.

Cant give him a shot at QB, especially with plays such as this...

Love the Rivals main board producing gems like this...

"He almost got to the sticks"