College Football Thread 2012

Reads 88267 • Replies 1163 • Started Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:50:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 10:41 Tue 8/28/2012

Mizzou 8-4.

Losses vs Georgia, at South Carolina, vs Alabama, and at Florida.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 10:44 Tue 8/28/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by JoeinEscazú
Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Mizzou starting tailback out for the season. Looks like UCF’s schedule just got a little easier.

UNDEFEATED!!!

or, 9-3.

Josey was never going to play this season. In fact he may never play again, although we hope to see him next year. I’m puzzled as to why confirmation of what we have known for months is an ESPN headline. I guess that’s life in the SEC.

Welcome back! Haven’t posted in awhile.. glad JJ lured you out

Actually it was all the forum changes that threw me off. Didn’t occur to me to mark Orlando until now. Knew something was missing, just couldn’t put my finger on it.

Topic: FBS teams should not play FCS teams. Discuss.

Mizzou will play a Southeastern Louisiana team this Saturday that will be emotionally battered by Hurricane Isaac before being battered on the field. This is no way to prepare for hosting Georgia the following weekend. Waste of time and counts for nothing.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 21:24 Tue 8/28/2012

... and again.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 12:48 Wed 8/29/2012

Originally posted by JoeinEscazú

Actually it was all the forum changes that threw me off. Didn’t occur to me to mark Orlando until now. Knew something was missing, just couldn’t put my finger on it.

Topic: FBS teams should not play FCS teams. Discuss.

Mizzou will play a Southeastern Louisiana team this Saturday that will be emotionally battered by Hurricane Isaac before being battered on the field. This is no way to prepare for hosting Georgia the following weekend. Waste of time and counts for nothing.

Actually, I’m fairly certain that one win against an FCS school counts toward your bowl eligibility. Not two, just one.

Actually, playing Southeastern Louisiana will allow Mizzou an extra week of game-planning for Georgia while also giving them the chance to have one win toward bowl eligibility under their belt while reviewing tape of Georgia’s week 1 game.

On the flip-side, the payout from Mizzou will help Southeastern Louisiana fulfill their entire athletic department’s budget for this year. Win-win.

Plus, if not for FCS schools, the SEC would have no one to play in non-conference games.

At the same time, WVU plays FCS James Madison in week two at FedEx Field just outside Washington D.C. However, this provides a fairly local non-conference foe for a program that now travels 1,000+ miles for all in-conference "away games," one win toward bowl eligibility, and more revenue than if the game were played in Morgantown, WV because we’re talking Redskins money here.

Both schools have huge fanbases in the D.C. market which is why the invitation was extended.

Also, let’s not forget that JMU beat up on ACC champion Virginia Tech a couple years ago in Blacksburg, VA. But then the ACC is used to getting their tits lit up when it really counts... and also, apparently, when it doesn’t. ;-)

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 14:34 Wed 8/29/2012

Auburn has four 5 star players visiting for the AU/Clemson game: Reuben Foster, Carl Lawson, Montravius Adams, and Derrick Green. First two committed and we lead for the other two. Chizik is a shitty coach, though.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 15:02 Wed 8/29/2012

Don’t forget to get your selections set for the Yahoo Pick ’Em league. No Thursday games to pick, but there are 2 for Saturday.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 16:00 Wed 8/29/2012

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
Auburn has four 5 star players visiting for the AU/Clemson game: Reuben Foster, Carl Lawson, Montravius Adams, and Derrick Green. First two committed and we lead for the other two. Chizik is a shitty coach, though.

How does hiring a great recruiting staff even come into the equation of determining a great coach?

Lane Kiffin? Hello?

All those USC 5* and 4* commits were probably allowed to run a train on Kif’s hot wife. He doesn’t care. Whatever works.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 16:02 Wed 8/29/2012

That’s a lot of churches to build.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 16:04 Wed 8/29/2012

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Don’t forget to get your selections set for the Yahoo Pick ’Em league. No Thursday games to pick, but there are 2 for Saturday.

On a semi football-related note. I will be downing one of these puppies for breakfast when I am in Austin for the WVU/Texas game.

Heeeeere’s Johnny ->>> OINK

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 16:21 Wed 8/29/2012

Originally posted by hopscotch

How does hiring a great recruiting staff even come into the equation of determining a great coach?

Lane Kiffin? Hello?

I bet every one of those USC 5* and 4* commits was allowed to spend some time on top of Kif’s hot wife. Whatever works.

Is the coach not essentially the ceo of the team? Does he get no credit for hiring his coaches? No credit for any of the recruiting? Yes wins must come to ultimately be determined successful, but you are kidding yourself if you don’t think being a good recruiter is a part of being a good coach in college. It’s about building a program that will be successful year in and year out. I’m just poking back on anyone ready to declare a 3rd year SEC coach shitty, who is 30-10, has won a bowl game each year, including a National Championship. Tuberville stopped recruiting on par with the sec powers, one of the main reasons he was shown the door.