Curry and beer?

Reads 14984 • Replies 31 • Started Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:15:34 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Pipper
beers 325 º places 34 º 14:15 Wed 1/20/2010

Yo just wondering what the general consensus was about curry and a good beer pairing. For some reason I really want to try a sour but that could end up weird. I made a curry with chicken skin sauteed with butter and white wine vinegar so I was thinking a sour might be a nice compliment. Not sure. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Pipper

JAXSON
beers 612 º places 4 º 14:29 Wed 1/20/2010

A czech pilsener that’s not too hoppy. Many people will say an IPA pairs best, but I really disagree with that, as the extreme bitterness gets really muddled among all the Indian spices.

zdk
beers 1917 º places 96 º 15:21 Wed 1/20/2010

I agree that a pilsner works the best. Try this one perhaps, since it’s actually made in India.

But I like not too bitter IPAs as well.

Could nutty, aromatic brown ales also work?

malrubius
beers 3502 º places 33 º 15:23 Wed 1/20/2010

Chicken skin?

nqualls
beers 1452 º places 35 º 15:27 Wed 1/20/2010

I’m going to say something similar to Victory Prima Pils. You need a little hops to cut the spices off your tongue. But I think Garret Oliver is crazy in saying that a hoppy IPA works best...the flavors just muddle together imo. A pils with a little hop backbone works great!

afterglow
beers 1047 º places 11 º 15:51 Wed 1/20/2010

Munich Helles is damn good with some curry.

SoLan
beers 1550 º places 12 º 15:55 Wed 1/20/2010

Originally posted by JAXSON
A czech pilsener that’s not too hoppy. Many people will say an IPA pairs best, but I really disagree with that, as the extreme bitterness gets really muddled among all the Indian spices.

Agreed with the bitterness and spices clashing, I’d even steer clear of a pils, actually. I don’t care for most tripels at all, but that was my first thought. Something with some sweetness up front and dry enough to drink easily. La Rulles should work well.

redlight
beers 2318 º places 50 º 16:24 Wed 1/20/2010

what about a saison?

DalzAle
beers 2046 º places 14 º 16:27 Wed 1/20/2010

I had a really good curry chicken dish a few nights ago and it went really well with a Surly Furious!

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 16:38 Wed 1/20/2010

IPA IPA and IPA. Garrett is spot on, IMO. I often pair these. Generally avoid overly malty sweet IPAs and stick to something drier. In general IPAs go well with spicy food. A Pils works well too. Saison, why not?

Tim

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 17:16 Wed 1/20/2010

Originally posted by TimE
IPA IPA and IPA. Garrett is spot on, IMO. I often pair these. Generally avoid overly malty sweet IPAs and stick to something drier. In general IPAs go well with spicy food. A Pils works well too. Saison, why not?

Tim

Hoppy goes great with spicy, but I’d want to avoid something as strongly flavored and bitter as an IPA with Indian food which generally presents a lot of subtle, complex flavors that may be masked by the relative intensity of the beer. I’d prefer to put an IPA with a jalapeno burger or some spicy Mexican food.

Honestly, I feel like Indian food is the kind of stuff that doesn’t pair well with any kind of alcohol, just lassi or similar.