Dead in here?

Reads 5597 • Replies 86 • Started Wednesday, October 26, 2016 11:38:24 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 18:16 Mon 10/31/2016

Basically, if you live there, and you meet people, you will learn from them when there is a new place or new great beer in town, but since the participation to RB is scarce, a visitor won’t have the same chance.

Here in Vancouver it’s a bit better, as we have 3 avid raters who try to check every beer and place, and a few more that add up to the bill now and then, but indeed everybody else is on Untappd and on some dedicated forum/chat.

For sure very different from what was my experience in Europe, at least till 3 years ago, when 98% were on RB, and UT didn’t exist.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 18:18 Mon 10/31/2016

If I were Joe I would measure the activity by region (or state, or country), check which ones are growing, which ones are getting smaller (but then I wouldn’t share the data anyway ;-)

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 12:34 Tue 11/1/2016

Seems to me there’s a lot of dodging the truth on this site, the truth being that RB is very quickly becoming obsolete from both rating (beer and place) and database perspectives. The difference in rating numbers of even very popular beers in any given region in this country is appalling. Take a look at the rating disparity for beers like Citoyen du Monde (presumably the hottest ticket at the Shelton Festival this past weekend) or Holy Mountain Aureum. The place list for Seattle is grossly outdated, and I know that’s true for many other cities nationwide, having traveled and had people tell me about several new spots that are among the best that are underrepresented on RB. We have no new rating population, and it’s killing the value of the database.

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 12:42 Tue 11/1/2016

Sorry that was harsh and stream-of-consciousness. I love RB and am very loyal to it, but it frustrates me that all one really hears on here is deriding or joking about Untappd, while I think we have a real problem that should be addressed to keep this site as vibrant as it has been in years past.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 13:16 Tue 11/1/2016

Originally posted by craftycarl21
Sorry that was harsh and stream-of-consciousness. I love RB and am very loyal to it, but it frustrates me that all one really hears on here is deriding or joking about Untappd, while I think we have a real problem that should be addressed to keep this site as vibrant as it has been in years past.

For myself, I think your comments were fair enough. Untappd truly is the platform of choice for most newer beer lovers (not sure we can call them all geeks anymore). They have a combination of geo, availability, social, image, and stat features that make them really hard to beat. Checking in a beer doesn’t take much effort, but adding photos and locations provides a ton of info to others. The use cases they nail seem to really resonate.

Even if you want to say their user participation is high-speed/low-drag and nets less depth of info, they still provide great breadth of info, and there’s a reason their activity outstrips ours by as much as 50:1, even on some hot breweries (>60:1 on Holy Mountain, which I just checked).

We can say we’re "better," at least for the use cases our population prefers--detailed qualitative narratives. But we can’t hardly say we’re as widely used.

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 13:40 Tue 11/1/2016

Part of the problem is that RateBeer was simply never adopted by the vast majority of PNW users. Most of them were on BeerAdvocate before switching to TalkBeer and Untappd. Due to that momentum, and RB’s lack thereof, representation on this site has fallen far behind.

(And it certainly doesn’t help that the RB community as a whole is fairly unsocial where it comes to forum chat -- and those who do participate have far too many in-jokes, most of which aren’t funny.)

Reid
beers 3528 º places 95 º 17:27 Tue 11/1/2016

Originally posted by Sarlacc83
Part of the problem is that RateBeer was simply never adopted by the vast majority of PNW users. Most of them were on BeerAdvocate before switching to TalkBeer and Untappd. Due to that momentum, and RB’s lack thereof, representation on this site has fallen far behind.

(And it certainly doesn’t help that the RB community as a whole is fairly unsocial where it comes to forum chat -- and those who do participate have far too many in-jokes, most of which aren’t funny.)

There is still a thriving community on BA. and the Northwest forum always has plenty comments...
Maybe you are correct that RB was late on the scene up here, which always seemed strange seeing were the leaders of each site came/come from.
Also i feel much less at home on RB now, than i used to. Maybe its because i am now middle aged and far older then the average forum user on RB ( or so it seems).

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 03:01 Wed 11/2/2016

Originally posted by Reid
(...)
There is still a thriving community on BA. and the Northwest forum always has plenty comments...
Maybe you are correct that RB was late on the scene up here, which always seemed strange seeing were the leaders of each site came/come from.
Also i feel much less at home on RB now, than i used to. Maybe its because i am now middle aged and far older then the average forum user on RB ( or so it seems).

Nah!
We are all getting a bit old ;-)

The main forum may be run sometimes by young jerks, but I think the regional and special forums still get good people and good vibe.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 03:46 Wed 11/2/2016

Originally posted by after4ever

I know I’m not preaching to Untappd and I’m not getting any people to join here, but which kind of info do you get from Untappd?
Every time I ask, U people are lost.

Can you tell me what are the best beers in the State/Province?
What are the best Places?
(honest question, I don’t know if possible)

SHIG
admin
beers 13063 º places 502 º 10:31 Wed 11/2/2016

If I was to have a RBian only tasting in Alaska I would have to add 3 mirrors to get to 6 people. Untappd is killing it in Anchorage from what I see. BA was always preferred prior to my arrival to the state, but has seen a decrease as well. I have talked with many people who like great beer and have only convinced two into joining. Like most things these days seems like people want to take the quick route and just click on stars. The one thing that I always hear from the breweries is that they appreciate RB a lot more than the rest since it provides them the most information.