Disputin’

Reads 9838 • Replies 56 • Started Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:32:45 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Crosling
beers 1864 º places 70 º 18:58 Tue 11/24/2009

North Coast has every right to protect their valued Old Rasputin brand.

I won’t boycott their brand because of this. I’ll boycott their brand because their beer absolutely sucks. De Molen is 10 times the brewery they are.

TheBeerSommelier
18:58 Tue 11/24/2009

Originally posted by 17thfloor
Originally posted by TheBeerSommelier

It has less to do with style, than confusion in the marketplace. The fact that both beers’ styles are the same makes North Coast’s case all the stronger. They originated and proliferated the name, through lots of expensive marketing, advertising and promotion. It’s theirs.

Open your own company some day and originate a name of your own. Then see how you feel, after years of building said successful business, when some upstart company uses your company or product name...simply because they think they can get away with it. How would you feel?

Fortunately, there are laws protecting those in the business community who’ve worked hard to make a name for themselves and their products, from those who would attempt to make a name for themselves on the basis of said hard work.

??? yea... my only point was that you cannot trademark descriptors... and Rasputin is not an ordinary mark... on top of that it is an historical figure, however, just like you said (and I also said in previous posts) through "proliferation" they have made it their own. I was never condescending in my comments, so no need for you to be in yours.

I don’t think I was being condescending at all...simply voicing an opinion, by presenting a personal example.

good deal, I think I just felt that way because you replied to me, but nowhere did I say anything contrary to what you were saying, I agree with you

satan165
beers 1021 º places 102 º 18:59 Tue 11/24/2009

Originally posted by Davinci
Originally posted by satan165
... he didnt have to rebrand an existing beer

It’s been brewed since 2007 and imported for about two years.

my mistake, i misunderstood the linked article to mean that this was existing in belgium/europe and new for the US which is why the flag got raised

17thfloor
beers 2444 º places 19 º 19:00 Tue 11/24/2009

try and see them pull this shit with "Old Stock" .... bah

North Coast doesn’t currently have a trademark or application pending for "Old Stock" ....

Wouldn’t much matter.

They’ve got years of public use behind them. They still own the name.

They could trademark North Coast Old Stock, but that would not prevent any other brewery from making Brewery X Old Stock... Old Stock is a commonly accepted ’descriptor’ that is untrademarkable...

I don’t think so. I not only think it’s trademarkable, via not being sufficiently vague, I think many beer "styles" are probably more trademarkable than you’d think.

We’re a very small part of the general public, which is the standard - how it applies to the general public at large.

yup, and that’s where the lawyers and courts get involved to decide which shade of gray they like the best...

which is exactly why bigger company’s cease and desist letters are effective because they can afford to hash it out for longer... (not saying that NC doesn’t have a valid argument, just making a point in general...)

BlackForestCO
beers 978 º places 18 º 19:00 Tue 11/24/2009

Originally posted by Crosling

I won’t boycott their brand because of this. I’ll boycott their brand because their beer absolutely sucks. De Molen is 10 times the brewery they are.

You are such a tool.

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 21:01 Tue 11/24/2009

point number 1: it is their right to defend their trademark, no matter how gutless. as mentioned, they could have collaborated and brought both breweries good publicity, and sold more beers for both brewers, a ’win-win’ situation. but this is undeniably bad publicity all around. i don’t think one person whos posted here would be upset about a collaboration between these 2 brewers.

point number 2: it is de molens right to call out north coast on their label as they have done. which i really, really appreciate. i’m glad they pointed out our, the consumers, role in this: that we are being taken as idiots. as an artist whos dealt with several borderline trademark cases, it always reflects a basis of insecurity in ones product. if NC was 100% confident in their ’awesome’ product, they wouldn’t give a shit. anyone is free to copy my art. i know that i came up with it first, not them. therefor, i will always make it better than them. and by the time they do get even close to my product, i will already have improved it or be on to something else totally new. but thats not beer, and not everybody in truly confident in their art form. when friendly competition emerges and you get enraged, it obviously shows a a lack of confidence in ones work.

Crosling
beers 1864 º places 70 º 21:11 Tue 11/24/2009

Originally posted by BlackForestCO

You are such a tool.

Actually bro, you are. Drink a Hell & Damnation or Heaven and Hell and you’ll probably discover that De Molen is special. They are an elite brewery. One of the best breweries in the world.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 21:14 Tue 11/24/2009

Originally posted by wavers1

point number 2: it is de molens right to call out north coast on their label as they have done. which i really, really appreciate. i’m glad they pointed out our, the consumers, role in this: that we are being taken as idiots. as an artist whos dealt with several borderline trademark cases, it always reflects a basis of insecurity in ones product. if NC was 100% confident in their ’awesome’ product, they wouldn’t give a shit. anyone is free to copy my art. i know that i came up with it first, not them. therefor, i will always make it better than them. and by the time they do get even close to my product, i will already have improved it or be on to something else totally new. but thats not beer, and not everybody in truly confident in their art form. when friendly competition emerges and you get enraged, it obviously shows a a lack of confidence in ones work.

I would venture to say that relatively few brewers feel this way about their beer, and North Coast is definitely no one of them.

austone
beers 1062 º places 11 º 21:54 Tue 11/24/2009

You are such a tool.

Actually bro, you are. Drink a Hell & Damnation or Heaven and Hell and you’ll probably discover that De Molen is special. They are an elite brewery. One of the best breweries in the world.

Maybe you should try something like De Molen Appel & Ei, Burgemeester & Wethouders or Lusten & Lasten..

TAR
beers 2821 º places 34 º 22:05 Tue 11/24/2009

Originally posted by austone

You are such a tool.

Maybe you should try something like De Molen Appel & Ei, Burgemeester & Wethouders or Lusten & Lasten..

Or the 1914 Porter, Rasputin, Triple Stout SSS, Donder & Bliksem, Pek & Veren, Storm & Averi, etc. With the exception of the lackluster porter, none of their beers are particularly bad or offensive, just kinda dull/boring.