Disputin’

Reads 9831 • Replies 56 • Started Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:32:45 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Rciesla
beers 5498 º places 3 º 22:11 Tue 11/24/2009

Next i won’t be able to call a group of Harley Riders fags; what is this world coming to

JaBier
beers 12991 º places 101 º 08:49 Wed 11/25/2009

In the ultimate twist of irony I would love for these two breweries to settle their differences, brew a beer called "Collaboration Not Litigation" and then get sued by RR and Avery.

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4358 º places 76 º 09:04 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by JaBier
In the ultimate twist of irony I would love for these two breweries to settle their differences, brew a beer called "Collaboration Not Litigation" and then get sued by RR and Avery.

Then all four of the breweries could blend those two blended beers together.

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4358 º places 76 º 09:11 Wed 11/25/2009

I smell trouble for Guangdong

wunderbier
beers 1434 º places 17 º 09:16 Wed 11/25/2009

Did De Molen / Shelton Bros apply for a trademark on Rasputin?

If so...doesn’t North Coast have to at least initiate legal action in this situation? If they let this pass without notice, wouldn’t their case be weaker in the future if another brewery did try to mimic their labeling and cut in on their brand? That’s my understanding based on hearing various brewer’s reactions to the Hansen v. Rock Art ordeal. That the point is to send a cease and desist notice and at least threaten to start the legal process, all of which can be brought up in court if needed for a later infringement battle.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 09:26 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by CanIHave4Beers
Originally posted by JaBier

Then all four of the breweries could blend those two blended beers together.

. . . which would create a new standard in "greatest amount of collaborative effort to achieve mediocrity."

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 10:11 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by wunderbier
Did De Molen / Shelton Bros apply for a trademark on Rasputin?

If so...doesn’t North Coast have to at least initiate legal action in this situation? If they let this pass without notice, wouldn’t their case be weaker in the future if another brewery did try to mimic their labeling and cut in on their brand? That’s my understanding based on hearing various brewer’s reactions to the Hansen v. Rock Art ordeal. That the point is to send a cease and desist notice and at least threaten to start the legal process, all of which can be brought up in court if needed for a later infringement battle.

Yeah, I was going to say basically the same thing (which has been intimated several times, early in this thread)-- that it’s North Coast’s right, and even their *DUTY*, to protect the brand with some sort of legal action. They’re not (necessarily) doing it to crush the small(er) brewer or put them in their place, per se. . . It’s likely all about preserving the trademark and brand that they have worked hard to establish. It’d be nice if they reached out and held hands in a "kum ba ya" moment like Russian River and Avery had, but it’s hardly their *DUTY* to do that. . . and if they sit around idly as a complacent "gesture" of good will, they run the risk of losing their brand altogether in the future.

I remember when this came up with "Bel Proximus" (aka Isabelle Proximus) and Bell’s Brewery/Lost Abbey, and while Larry Bell took a lot of flack from the beer community at first, he posted on another forum (I think it was the Babblebelt) that it was his responsibility as a businessman/business owner to take action on any incidents like this. It’s not personal, and it’s not emotional-- it’s business.

Sigmund
beers 12247 º places 430 º 10:36 Wed 11/25/2009

I think Russia should sue North Coast Brewing Company for stealing the name and picture of a reknowned but notorious Russian monk (I’m sure the bastards did not ask for permission).

And North Coast call their beer a "Russian Imperial Stout". That would be illegal, according to the consumer protection laws of most civilized countries. "Old Rasputin" is not a Russian Imperial Stout. It is an American Imperial Stout. Or rather: just an American Stout, as the USA does not have, and has never had, an empire nor an emperor. At least not officially.

wunderbier
beers 1434 º places 17 º 10:47 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by 17thfloor
eh... but legally the "style" of beer has absolutely nothing to do with it...

Rasputin is tied to RIS’s because that is whom the beer was initial brewed for... it is inherently attached to the style... basically almost as a descriptor. Descriptor’s cannot be trademarked.
North Coast in a way has transposed the descriptor into a trademarkable name because NC is the most prolific one to use it... kind of crappy IMO

if there were more than 5 or 6 breweries (still) using the name Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout... then North Coast would have absolutely no case... mere posture and scare tactics... unfortunately I see this one working.

Imperial stout was brewed for Catherine II’s and her court. She reigned from 1762 to 1796. Rasputin lived from 1869 to 1916. Please explain if you can, but I don’t believe Rasputin has anything more to do with the style than Mikhail Gorbachev.

danielst
beers 422 º places 12 º 11:08 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by TheBeerSommelier
Originally posted by puzzl
I’d expect this out of Dogfish or Stone but not North Coast, they’ve always had a better, less corporate vibe to me. Guess not.

Are there still people out there who deny that there are any "micros" out there that are greedy businesses and not community friends like we like to believe?

Where the hell do you think you live...Communist Russia? This ain’t no kibbutz, where the lazy and thieving can simply steal product names.

What’s mine is mine and what’s yours is mine, huh?

I remember a thread where exactly the same thought caused broad disfavour for a company.