Disputin’

Reads 9837 • Replies 56 • Started Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:32:45 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JMerritt
places 72 º 11:22 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by danielst
I remember a thread where exactly the same thought caused broad disfavour for a company.

Apples and oranges. Well, energy drinks and beer. But this is a different story.

danielst
beers 422 º places 12 º 11:41 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by JMerritt
I remember a thread where exactly the same thought caused broad disfavour for a company.

Apples and oranges. Well, energy drinks and beer. But this is a different story.

I know it’s a different legal situation, but the idea is the same: product B may profit from the similiarity to the brand name of well-established product A. It assumes that consumers can’t distinguish between two easily distinguishable items.

JMerritt
places 72 º 11:43 Wed 11/25/2009

I know it’s a different legal situation, but the idea is the same: product B may profit from the similiarity to the brand name of well-established product A. It assumes that consumers can’t distinguish between two easily distinguishable items.

Problem in this case is that "easily distinguishable" is questionable. If I send someone to the store and tell them to buy me some "Rasputin" and he gets there and sees 2 different beers named "Rasputin," I think, depending on the savvyness (is that a word?) of the consumer, there could be some legitimate confusion.

danielst
beers 422 º places 12 º 11:59 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by JMerritt

Problem in this case is that "easily distinguishable" is questionable. If I send someone to the store and tell them to buy me some "Rasputin" and he gets there and sees 2 different beers named "Rasputin," I think, depending on the savvyness (is that a word?) of the consumer, there could be some legitimate confusion.

It is indeed questionable. We can create various degrees of "consumer silliness" in a thought experiment, but I don’t think that mispurchases play a major role in sales figures (or do they?).

Furthermore, I just don’t believe that the craft beer community will associated the popularity of North Coasts Old Rasputin with De Molens beer.

BlackForestCO
beers 978 º places 18 º 16:57 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by TAR
Originally posted by austone
Originally posted by Crosling
Originally posted by BlackForestCO
North Coast has every right to protect their valued Old Rasputin brand.

I won’t boycott their brand because of this. I’ll boycott their brand because their beer absolutely sucks. De Molen is 10 times the brewery they are.

You are such a tool.

Actually bro, you are. Drink a Hell & Damnation or Heaven and Hell and you’ll probably discover that De Molen is special. They are an elite brewery. One of the best breweries in the world.

Maybe you should try something like De Molen Appel & Ei, Burgemeester & Wethouders or Lusten & Lasten..

Or the 1914 Porter, Rasputin, Triple Stout SSS, Donder & Bliksem, Pek & Veren, Storm & Averi, etc. With the exception of the lackluster porter, none of their beers are particularly bad or offensive, just kinda dull/boring.

The lot of you are retards.

Bigsilky
beers 327 º places 10 º 14:43 Fri 12/25/2009

Originally posted by TAR
Originally posted by austone
North Coast has every right to protect their valued Old Rasputin brand.

I won’t boycott their brand because of this. I’ll boycott their brand because their beer absolutely sucks. De Molen is 10 times the brewery they are.

You are such a tool.

Actually bro, you are. Drink a Hell & Damnation or Heaven and Hell and you’ll probably discover that De Molen is special. They are an elite brewery. One of the best breweries in the world.

Maybe you should try something like De Molen Appel & Ei, Burgemeester & Wethouders or Lusten & Lasten..

Or the 1914 Porter, Rasputin, Triple Stout SSS, Donder & Bliksem, Pek & Veren, Storm & Averi, etc. With the exception of the lackluster porter, none of their beers are particularly bad or offensive, just kinda dull/boring.

The lot of you are retards.

HAHAHAHA!!! This should be said more often! Oh, how I hate to be the douche that chimes in a month after a thread is dead, so maybe this is for my own sanity.

North Coast has every right to do this. I work in a store that sells both items in different sections of the store. Folks will regularly grab the Rasputin (De Molen) and claim that they had it on draft recently.

The only real argument I think De Molen would have is the the beer is practically non-existent. What is it, like 500 bottles a year? Does this really count as a production item?

Always like to see the geeks chime in with the "The brewery sucks so why sould it matter," argument. Classic. How about accusing the brewery of flat beer and then suggesting that you are willing to go to the brewery and tell a professional brewer how to do their job!

Oh well, Merry Christmas!