Dogfish Head wants user reviews deleted from RB

Reads 14762 • Replies 140 • Started Monday, June 5, 2017 4:17:45 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 13:50 Sat 6/10/2017

Originally posted by poisoneddwarf
Originally posted by Rasmus40
Originally posted by Naven
Originally posted by markextrae
Cantillon follows aswell now

As did Mother Earth, today. Not nearly as large as the others, but still a giant in the SoCal market:

Like our fellow brethren working hard each and every day to support and build true "indie" craft, we were disappointed to hear of the investment by AB/InBev in ratebeer.com.

As such, we join the example and lead set by Dogfish Head and we have formally and respectfully requested ratebeer.com to remove any and all reviews, references and mentions of Mother Earth Brew Co. and our associated brands from their site.

We encourage all fans and supporters of craft to move their reviews to other sites that demonstrate journalistic integrity and are not subject to influence by outside ownership that is contrary to true indie craft. #indiebeer #craftbeer #craftnotcrafty #truetothis #truetilldeath

Kevin Hopkins
Vice President
Mother Earth Brew Co.

Kevin, here is a rating made especially with you in mind.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/beername/252428/

I keep seeing these negative reactions towards DFH and now Mother Earth and some other breweries wanting their reviews off RB, but I still haven’t seen a negative post directed at JVR of Cantillon. He’s saying the same things as Sam Calagione, but it seems no one’s criticizing him. It’s like he’s untouchable to some of you, and it would be like criticizing Jesus or something. Kind of funny.

I haven’t seen an English translation of Jean Van Roy’s statement (and that may be a big part of why Cantillon is getting less heat than others), but, if he indeed has requested that RateBeer take down Cantillon entries, he’s excessively emotional, confused, and hypocritical* at best or dishonest** and grandstanding like the rest of them, no matter how good of beer he produces.

* "Hypocritical" if he thinks that RateBeer is a journalistic site but thinks it shouldn’t cover his brewery upon his demand (as if that wouldn’t be a gross violation of journalistic integrity).
** "Dishonest" if he understands that RateBeer is not a journalistic site but bases his public criticism on journalistic ethics knowing full well they don’t apply.

I wish that critics of this deal would simply be honest and say, "I hate AB InBev and anything associated with it or that might provide benefit to it, and therefore I’d rather no longer be associated with RateBeer." Isn’t that the crux of the opposition (not actual worries about integrity of ratings)?

Desverger
beers 29281 º places 383 º 14:01 Sat 6/10/2017

Only had 3 Dogfish head beers so wont impact me that much, do we know when we loose these ratings from our total? just so I can brace myself.

poisoneddwarf
beers 5613 º places 26 º 14:57 Sat 6/10/2017

Originally posted by islay
Originally posted by poisoneddwarf
Originally posted by Rasmus40
Originally posted by Naven
Originally posted by markextrae
Cantillon follows aswell now

As did Mother Earth, today. Not nearly as large as the others, but still a giant in the SoCal market:

Like our fellow brethren working hard each and every day to support and build true "indie" craft, we were disappointed to hear of the investment by AB/InBev in ratebeer.com.

As such, we join the example and lead set by Dogfish Head and we have formally and respectfully requested ratebeer.com to remove any and all reviews, references and mentions of Mother Earth Brew Co. and our associated brands from their site.

We encourage all fans and supporters of craft to move their reviews to other sites that demonstrate journalistic integrity and are not subject to influence by outside ownership that is contrary to true indie craft. #indiebeer #craftbeer #craftnotcrafty #truetothis #truetilldeath

Kevin Hopkins
Vice President
Mother Earth Brew Co.

Kevin, here is a rating made especially with you in mind.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/beername/252428/

I keep seeing these negative reactions towards DFH and now Mother Earth and some other breweries wanting their reviews off RB, but I still haven’t seen a negative post directed at JVR of Cantillon. He’s saying the same things as Sam Calagione, but it seems no one’s criticizing him. It’s like he’s untouchable to some of you, and it would be like criticizing Jesus or something. Kind of funny.

I haven’t seen an English translation of Jean Van Roy’s statement (and that may be a big part of why Cantillon is getting less heat than others), but, if he indeed has requested that RateBeer take down Cantillon entries, he’s excessively emotional, confused, and hypocritical* at best or dishonest** and grandstanding like the rest of them, no matter how good of beer he produces.

* "Hypocritical" if he thinks that RateBeer is a journalistic site but thinks it shouldn’t cover his brewery upon his demand (as if that wouldn’t be a gross violation of journalistic integrity).
** "Dishonest" if he understands that RateBeer is not a journalistic site but bases his public criticism on journalistic ethics knowing full well they don’t apply.

I wish that critics of this deal would simply be honest and say, "I hate AB InBev and anything associated with it or that might provide benefit to it, and therefore I’d rather no longer be associated with RateBeer." Isn’t that the crux of the opposition (not actual worries about integrity of ratings)?

Jean Van Roy’s comments, translated:

Like Sam Calagione, owner of the brewery Dogfish Head, I also decided to ask the site ratebeer.com to remove all the opinions and comments on the beers from the brewery Cantillon.
As a reminder, [ABI] has purchased shares of the most important social media platform in the brewing scene.
After the takeover of breweries, distributors, and producers, now they’re going after social media.
The giants of the industry have the means to control everything and are in the process of making a billion.
Today, the craft brewery scene is still powerful enough to react as long as we do it quickly, to stick together and make, to the extent of our means, blow for blow.

radagast83
beers 12431 º places 427 º 15:30 Sat 6/10/2017

Originally posted by stevoj
Dfh gives free beer to anyone who visits the brewery, four to be exact
And personally, that was the worst part of the tour. The freaking place was a madhouse when I visited in early 2014...

Its hard to pass up free beer, but when I visited it was all stuff you could get at the supermarket. Their brewpub wasn’t much better, they advertised on their website having around 5-6 exclusive beers on Friday and they only had one by Sunday. This was January when the town is pretty much dead.

I don’t do well in huge crowds most of the time so it’ll be easy for me to pass on a taster of Shelter Pale Ale and Palto Santo if I ever take their tour again.

We went to 16 Mile a few miles away and had a blast, enough that whenever I’m near Rehoboth I go there. Haven’t been back to DFH since Jan 2014.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 17:47 Sat 6/10/2017

Originally posted by Desverger
Only had 3 Dogfish head beers so wont impact me that much, do we know when we loose these ratings from our total? just so I can brace myself.
my guess would be never. Ratebeer doesn’t have to remove anything.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 14:35 Sun 6/11/2017

Aside from the language reason, I think it’s probably pretty obvious why people are willing to criticize a brewery like Dogfish or Mother Earth but not Cantillon: people here generally don’t give a damn about those two breweries, and Cantillon is generally seen as a darling by the beer nerds.

I’d like to think that I am capable of being rational, but let’s say it was Untappd or BeerAdvocate (or some other popular beer platform) that was in the situation RB now finds itself in, how many RB users would be sticking up for them vs. piling on?

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 14:57 Sun 6/11/2017

Good to see Cantillon recognize RB...As a reminder, [ABI] has purchased shares of the most important social media platform in the brewing scene.

I understand that they want to be removed and respect that, but it’s our work not theirs.

Andrew brings up good points about BA and Untappd. I really don’t know enough about untappd to know where their money comes from. I do know we have a better admin staff.

JCW
beers 1280 º places 152 º 15:07 Sun 6/11/2017

I’d like to send this to those breweries that have asked to be remove from RB:

Dear "brewer"

I have been a member of the RB community since 2002 and a consumer of "craft" beer for much longer than that. I have seen much change in the industry since then. Communities such as RB(yes and others) have helped sell your products by word of mouth since then, or as Malcom Gladwell would say it we were "craft" beers outliers. Craft beer is now a growth industry, with a new brewer popping up monthly in my town. Price increases for a "craft" beer since the early 2000’s now exceed any product that I consume. So I guess we were a success. I personnel know that through my own efforts your sales representatives were made aware of your new products and asked to provide more and in some case add them to their portfolios. As when we asked for your products through our retailers and distributors, we hope that the money ABInBev adds to RB will make our community stronger and in doing that make "craft" beer an even stronger market. We’ve help you, now help us instead of stabbing us in the back. I know our community is strong, passionate, and loyal. We don’t jump ship when there is word of a bad storm that might be on the horizon and you shouldn’t jump ship either until you know for certain where the ship is heading, especially when the ship has on board people that have done so much for you.

John

trapped
beers 7514 º places 470 º 15:15 Sun 6/11/2017

I hope one of the breweries asking MY community website to delete MY thoughts about their products, that cease to be exclusively theirs as soon as they are purchased for consumption, go to courts about this and the rest of the beer drinking crowd (which probably comprises 75% of the male adults and 35% of the females - not being sexist but this is mostly how it goes) hears how they cut the tree they are standing on. Cheap heroics all over!

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 15:44 Sun 6/11/2017

Originally posted by SHIG
[ABI] has purchased shares of the most important social media platform in the brewing scene.

I really don’t know enough about untappd

These 2 comments are related