Euro 2012 - what are you drinking?

Reads 34468 • Replies 605 • Started Friday, June 8, 2012 9:18:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Fin
beers 17269 º places 1653 º 12:49 Sun 6/17/2012

Watched the England game the other night in Tewksbury but back home tonight so no telly and therefore reliant on the excellent Radio 5 team as usual to provide me with the commentary.

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 12:52 Sun 6/17/2012

Nice games...
Bommen & Granaten vintage 2010

IrishBoy
beers 4707 º places 141 º 13:00 Sun 6/17/2012

Cigar City Kalevipoeg Baltic Porter as I watch Portugal and the Netherlands.

Alen
places 1 º 13:06 Sun 6/17/2012

3 Fonteinen Golden Blend, followed by BA Mikkeller George. Watching both games interchangeably.

humlelala
beers 1377 º places 89 º 13:32 Sun 6/17/2012

Mikkeller Drink Your Sorrows Away ...

SilkTork
beers 7745 º places 111 º 13:44 Sun 6/17/2012

Originally posted by Fin
To be fair Crouch never did anything wrong for England, I liked him, his aerial presence was always going to be a threat if we had to resort to a more direct approach.

Great England player. Don’t understand why Rooney was always preferred over him. Has a better goal rate than Rooney, and against better opponents in competitive play. It was the preference for Rooney over Crouch that cost us the last World Cup.

I think it has something to do with public image and popularity. Rooney is liked by the public and looks like a footballer, while Crouch always looks gangly and awkward.

Some players just look the part. I love the way that Gerrard looks when shooting from deep - he looks like Roy of the Rovers.

PaulUnwin
beers 87 º places 124 º 13:50 Sun 6/17/2012

Wish Alan Shearer was still in his 20’s, oh and I was in etween shifts on Friday so had Yorkshire Tea!!

SilkTork
beers 7745 º places 111 º 14:00 Sun 6/17/2012

Originally posted by Fin
I actually like this manager and I am hopeful (not expecting) that we might do ok.

The trend in international football is toward well managed teams of average players doing better than poorly managed teams with excellent players.

Discipline, organisation, good structure, team work, confidence and motivation count for a lot.

The romance of a Pele winning the World Cup single handed is very compelling, and is what every footballer and football fan hopes for, but the reality is that these days well managed teams can edge it over talented individuals.

England have an experienced and clever manager, and a side that isn’t full of prima donnas who want to demand where they play and how. They have done the job so far, and have impressed more than the side who crashed out of the World Cup with all the big claims that we could win it this time.

I have actually been quietly hopeful for this team because they don’t have expectation on their shoulders, and they do have the ability both on the field and in the management.

Fin
beers 17269 º places 1653 º 14:01 Sun 6/17/2012

Originally posted by SilkTork
Originally posted by Fin
To be fair Crouch never did anything wrong for England, I liked him, his aerial presence was always going to be a threat if we had to resort to a more direct approach.

Great England player. Don’t understand why Rooney was always preferred over him. Has a better goal rate than Rooney, and against better opponents in competitive play. It was the preference for Rooney over Crouch that cost us the last World Cup.

I think it has something to do with public image and popularity. Rooney is liked by the public and looks like a footballer, while Crouch always looks gangly and awkward.

Some players just look the part. I love the way that Gerrard looks when shooting from deep - he looks like Roy of the Rovers.

I don’t have a problem with Rooney he is a very good player but by the same token I don’t get sucked in by the popular vote. My main worry with Rooney is with his temperament, sometimes he just seems a bit of a loose cannon in an England shirt.

Re Crouch, when he played for England Crouch was awkward to play against, he never seemed to let us down, I liked him.

Radio 5 are suggesting that Walcott is an injury doubt for us on Tuesday but interestingly Schevchenko (probably spelt wrong) is also a doubt for Ukraine, both had to pull out of training today.

SilkTork
beers 7745 º places 111 º 14:06 Sun 6/17/2012

Originally posted by Fin
My main worry with Rooney is with his temperament, sometimes he just seems a bit of a loose cannon in an England shirt.

Yes. That is a big concern. I think he’s scored 20 odd goals, but been sent off twice. So that’s like nearly one in ten goals will cost us a red card. Costly. A red card usually costs a game.