Euro 2012 - what are you drinking?

Reads 34194 • Replies 605 • Started Friday, June 8, 2012 9:18:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

EdKing
beers 3658 º places 307 º 14:20 Sun 6/17/2012

Originally posted by Fin
Originally posted by harrisoni
Look this is all irrelevant. Even if, and I’m not convinced yet, but, even if, England get out of the group stage, they’ll be coming back home on the plane after the quarter final. Spain, Italy and Croatia are all better than England

Whilst I sort of agree with you, bear in mind that Barcelona and Bayern Munich were much better than Chelsea in the Champions League this season and there were a lot of teams that were much, much better than Greece in the 2004 Euro’s, however both of these won despite what the pundits and so called experts suggested.

I don’t think anyone has over expectations of England. However, they will have done well to get out to of the group. They had as many clear cut chances against France (who could only shoot from distance all day) and deserved the draw, and they have beaten Sweden, who have been a bogey side for us for many years. I fully expect them to go out in the next round as I don’t think we have the defensive quality to hold off a Spain or Germany, as we have seen Chelsea do this season. If Cahill had not been injured we may have had a better chance.

Marko
admin
beers 17540 º places 862 º 15:02 Sun 6/17/2012

The fact that the Spain, Italy and Croatia ended up in the same group, similar to the situation in group B (on paper, the Dutch turned out to be everything but a team), clearly illustrates the unfairness of the system where both hosts were dumped in the first strength group.

It would’ve made for a much more fair distribution of teams and a much more balanced Euro had they been put in the fourth group, where they belong.

oh6gdx
beers 44660 º places 199 º 11:51 Mon 6/18/2012

Carmen Ecológica goes into the glass

Fin
beers 17186 º places 1647 º 11:57 Mon 6/18/2012

Tesco American IPA (aka Brewdog Hardcore)in my hand for no other reason than it was in the fridge and as Ian pointed out was on offer 4 for £6 a Tesco, not sure who that suggests I will be supporting but better get that radio on.

Nightfall
beers 1313 º places 45 º 11:58 Mon 6/18/2012

Btw if Spain - Croatia ends 2-2 it will be a scandal ;)

Fin
beers 17186 º places 1647 º 12:04 Mon 6/18/2012

Originally posted by Nightfall

Yes I was reading today that 2-2, 3-3 or above is a score that the Italians are fearing.

Nightfall
beers 1313 º places 45 º 12:13 Mon 6/18/2012

Originally posted by Fin
Originally posted by Nightfall

Yes I was reading today that 2-2, 3-3 or above is a score that the Italians are fearing.

Same thing happened in 2004 , Sweden - Denmark both qualified with a 2-2, Italy went home. In the crowd during the game there was a banner saying 2-2 ciao Italia :)

Marko
admin
beers 17540 º places 862 º 12:14 Mon 6/18/2012

Fuck you Stark, fuck you.

harrisoni
beers 25336 º places 68 º 12:15 Mon 6/18/2012

I want Croatian and Italian wins and put Spain out. England finish second in group D and they play Croatia in next round would be the best scenario for us I think.

Drinking blend of homebrew (got acetone from too high fermentation temp) and Tesco American IPA. Makes for a tasty hoppy IPA.

harrisoni
beers 25336 º places 68 º 12:22 Mon 6/18/2012

Originally posted by SilkTork
Originally posted by Fin
To be fair Crouch never did anything wrong for England, I liked him, his aerial presence was always going to be a threat if we had to resort to a more direct approach.

Great England player. Don’t understand why Rooney was always preferred over him.

Whilst I will admit that Peter Crouch’s incredible/unbelievable goal scoring record for England belies his limited ability, if you don’t see why Rooney is world class and Crouch is not, then I can’t help you. Rooney’s vision, skill, ball control, footballing brain, ability are all above Crouch’s. Yes, Rooney has had disciplinary problems in the past, but do you know how many yellow cards he got for Man Utd in the Premiership last season? No? Go look it up.

But then again, as I always say, other opinions are available.