Euro 2012 - what are you drinking?

Reads 34457 • Replies 605 • Started Friday, June 8, 2012 9:18:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SilkTork
beers 7741 º places 111 º 03:54 Mon 6/25/2012

As it stands the odds are Germany 11/12, Draw 5/2, Italy 4/1

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:02 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
No comments on Pirlo’s penalty? The balls on that man to walk up and do that in the Quarters of Euro is unreal.

It certainly looked pretty spectacular but, in essence, it was really just the same as any penalty down the middle. Except slower. Bearing in mind that keepers invariably dive left or right, it’s always seemed a pretty effective tactic to me.

Nightfall
beers 1313 º places 45 º 04:08 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by chriso
No comments on Pirlo’s penalty? The balls on that man to walk up and do that in the Quarters of Euro is unreal.

It certainly looked pretty spectacular but, in essence, it was really just the same as any penalty down the middle. Except slower. Bearing in mind that keepers invariably dive left or right, it’s always seemed a pretty effective tactic to me.

It is very difficult to perform. You have to convince the keeper that you are aiming hard for one of the corners and at the same time do this.

You can’t imagine how stupid it looks when the player makes a fail attempt.
Neimar , a great brazilian player on a failed attempt : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1B8bMyCsnY
If I remember correctly he has failed twice in performing a Panenka penalty.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:13 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by SilkTork
Bet365 have a good one on the England v Italy match - bet £50 before kick off and get a free £50 in-play bet. I can back & lay Italy now for a loss of £3 & get a free £50 bet for that.

Did you sell the draw bet or keep it?

Even better. Because the Bet365 website crashed and I couldn’t get my "free" bet on, they just put a £50 credit in my account so I didn’t have to bet it and think about if and when to lay it off. Together with a "double your winnings on correct score bets" promotion from 188Bet that netted me another £50 profit, that made for a rather profitable evening.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:27 Mon 6/25/2012

Italy looks the best value out of those. But bearing in mind their failure to score with all that possession last night maybe not. The odds on Germany look a little short to me. Draw probably just about right but not enough vaklue there for me. Might leave this alone. Unless any juicy offers come up of course.

thegermanbeer
05:29 Mon 6/25/2012

and for all of you who can´t access to youtube:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTA1MDU3OTMy.html

btw: GERMANY will win the next match, regardless Italy has a "good day or not".

and now another AUGERTA 1903, mmmmhhhhh

kind regards from china!

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:38 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by Nightfall

It is very difficult to perform. You have to convince the keeper that you are aiming hard for one of the corners and at the same time do this.

Agreed. But easier than in the old days, when the keeper had to be entirely immobile until the ball had been kicked and, if my memory serves, the taker was not allowed to "stutter" in the run up. A pretty high proportion of penalties back then ended up being retaken because the keeper had moved early.

Fin
beers 17268 º places 1653 º 05:48 Mon 6/25/2012

With his arms waving, eyes boggling and tongue hanging out I thought when faced with the last penalty Hart was auditioning for the ’All Blacks’, it was a cracking silent Haka from Hart.

SilkTork
beers 7741 º places 111 º 06:07 Mon 6/25/2012

Italy looks the best value out of those. But bearing in mind their failure to score with all that possession last night maybe not. The odds on Germany look a little short to me. Draw probably just about right but not enough vaklue there for me. Might leave this alone. Unless any juicy offers come up of course.

If it’s 0-0 in the last 10 minutes the Germany odds will start to look more interesting, and that’ll be the time to jump in.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 08:57 Mon 6/25/2012

If it’s 0-0 in the last 10 minutes the Germany odds will start to look more interesting, and that’ll be the time to jump in.

Don’t understand betting, never have, never been in a bookies. I get enough gambles in my life by travelling by public transport, I don’t need any more.