Euro 2012 - what are you drinking?

Reads 34465 • Replies 605 • Started Friday, June 8, 2012 9:18:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Fin
beers 17269 º places 1653 º 11:14 Tue 6/26/2012

Originally posted by Marko

The semis are what Platini had hoped for.

Erm maybe.... however as possibly one of the finest French players ever to put on the shirt there is a glaring omission in that France would surely have been in his preferred quartet. I just wish that he’d have been as good in this job as he was in his playing days.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 12:32 Tue 6/26/2012

and Croatia was kicked out because of one or two retarded and/or corrupt referees. Oh well.

Oh, I thought Croatia were out of the tournament for not scoring more goals than their opponents in a game?

As you well know, I like you and respect you hugely Marko, what you do for this site from the deepest, darkest Balkans is amazing and puts many of us to shame.

However, this kind of conspiracry theory over-reaction is just that. A theory. Looking on as a part-time supporter of Croatian football (look even when you beat England in the qualifiers 4 years ago, I still thought you played the best football), I can’t see what you are banging on about. Yes, you got some bad calls, but doesn’t everyone? Ukraine had a perfectly good goal against England denied even though the 5th official was 3 metres away. Are you saying Michel Platini (England hater, England hater, England hater) instructed him to miss that? No. It is what it is. I mean it could be worse, you could support a team in Seria A in Italy and then you have NOoooooooo idea what kind of corruption could be going on.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Marko
admin
beers 17703 º places 866 º 16:45 Tue 6/26/2012

-Well, as far as I’m aware Platini stated cleary that he hoped for a Germany-Spain final. Why he wrote his home country out of the equation, I don’t know.

-That fucktard called our fans "bastards" for something that in the end it turned out they didn’t do, and never apologized.

-Calling my country Balkans can be at times stretch, culturally, historically and geographically, being a mongrel of sorts of everything that surrounds it, but even though I loathe it, I understand the need for generalization. Calling it the deepest, darkest Balkans is an insult however, even if it was completely innocently or ironically put.

-Oh well, penalties are generally given when someone in a goal scoring opportunity is obstructed illegally. Such was the case here. Sorry for not being able to score under physical duress. Yeah, we should’ve used our opportunities. But we didn’t get the opportunities to score that we’d earned.

-Stark’s refereeing was beyond a string of "honest mistakes". The guy refused to give pretty much any decision in our favor when we were anywhere near their area, holding completely uneven criteria for the entire match. Why? Was it his own, personal decision? Was it his incompetence bursting through randomly yet only hurting one team? Was it someone’s orders? I don’t give a fuck. This Euro would’ve left a bad taste in my mouth even if my country was playing tomorrow (are the games even tomorrow?). In any case, when a Spanish newspaper prints that yes, Stark helped them through, it’s good enough for me. And that’s another disappointment for my country that we didn’t have coming.

-That’s precisely why I don’t support any teams in the Serie A anymore. And it’s even worse in Croatia as the entire system serves to cater for the needs of a single club (check out who the champion was for the last 7 years), that has all the refs, most of the boards, and even their B team in the same league. Right before Euro I saw live one of the sleaziest butcherings-by-ref during the finals of a u18 tournament (in favor of that particular team). And then I go see the Euros hoping for something... well... less disgusting. And get this.

In any case, don’t worry, I’ll cut it out soon enough.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 11:43 Wed 6/27/2012

Calling my country Balkans can be at times stretch, culturally, historically and geographically, being a mongrel of sorts of everything that surrounds it, but even though I loathe it, I understand the need for generalization. Calling it the deepest, darkest Balkans is an insult however, even if it was completely innocently or ironically put

If I have caused any offence from my lazy geography, they I do sincerely apologise. It was as you say innocently put, but you are absolutely right to pull me up on that.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 11:46 Wed 6/27/2012

Anyway Marko, at least your team can pass a ball

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 11:46 Wed 6/27/2012

So Spain or Portugal? I do fancy Portugal tonight.

SilkTork
beers 7744 º places 111 º 11:52 Wed 6/27/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni

The team v the individual?

We want the individual skill of CR to triumph as that is more glorious, heroic and poetic, but logically it should be team skills that win at a team game.

SilkTork
beers 7744 º places 111 º 12:11 Wed 6/27/2012

Originally posted by SilkTork
Originally posted by harrisoni

The team v the individual?

We want the individual skill of CR to triumph as that is more glorious, heroic and poetic, but logically it should be team skills that win at a team game.

Spain are showing some great team skills, and CR is showing some individual flair. It could go either way, but I think Spain have the advantage.

Odds are even for Spain, 2/1 for a draw and 3/1 for Portugal.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 12:15 Wed 6/27/2012

I’m drinking Cava so should be supporting Spain.

SilkTork
beers 7744 º places 111 º 12:20 Wed 6/27/2012

Stunningly bad referee. He has made a series of dubious decisions, is too fond of stopping play for minor infractions, and goes to his whistle too soon.