ex-yu 3 :p

Reads 7014 • Replies 71 • Started Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:18:58 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Marko
admin
beers 17677 º places 866 º 07:18 Tue 9/2/2014

Guess that the old thread passed its’ expiry date.

And what better way to open the new one with an invitation to the Second Brewers’ Conference and Beer Fair/Market, at the Magic Beer Room on the 27.9.2014!

Possibly the most important beer event of the year, en par with the Homebrew Competition at the same location, featuring a ton of brilliant home & micro brews on tap, live music, superb barbecue, presentations and lessons, games & such, all on one spot, all included in the 60KN you pay for the entry.

If you can, get there!
http://www.ratebeer.com/event/26179/

But be quick, the number of people who can attend is limited, and when the quota’s filled, you won’t be able to register no more:
http://www.pivarstvo.info/konferencija/

Marko
admin
beers 17677 º places 866 º 09:45 Fri 9/5/2014

Zmajska Pivovara’s Porter and Pale Ale available @ Tolkien’s right NOW! :)

Marko
admin
beers 17677 º places 866 º 07:52 Tue 9/16/2014

More exciting things happening in Croatia. :)

http://www.splitbrewingcompany.com

Ibrew2or3
beers 10532 º places 353 º 19:43 Tue 9/16/2014

Love these threads. Thanks Marko!!!

MarkoNm
beers 6134 º places 383 º 22:38 Tue 9/16/2014

Originally posted by Marko
More exciting things happening in Croatia. :)

http://www.splitbrewingcompany.com

Seems very interesting. Hope we get to taste them soon.

Marko
admin
beers 17677 º places 866 º 05:00 Wed 9/17/2014

Yeah... but the problem is... what I’m seeing here is a concept imagined in advance, with recipe development & all, but, unless I’m mistaken, without an actual brewery built & without a registered company in Croatia (I see they’re registered in the states, but I’m not sure how that will function).

And with our bureaucracy (even worse than Slovenian), unless they have everything sorted out, it might be a (shockingly for them) bumpy ride before & if it’s realized.

We’ll see, it’d be great to have a western-style micro in Split. :)

Marko
admin
beers 17677 º places 866 º 12:30 Sat 9/20/2014

Apart from the "non-pasteurized" version of the regular Karlovacko popping up here and there on random fests they do, Karlovacka Pivovara, deciding that 35476434536544534624634510945832509845034 pale lagers on the same market still aren’t enough, plans to release "Karlovacko Royal", a golden lager with Spalter Select hops, pale and roasted malt as well. So yay, more of the same thing, only maybe less bad, woo hoo!

I got the chance to try their "KIDAM" pivo as well, which is actually an acronym from the names of the 5 "beer ambassadors" of theirs - 2 guys working in production, 2 working in sales and 1 in marketing. They claimed it’s "homebrew-style", and they won’t be selling it, it’s only for "internal parties". It’s a 6% amber... well... lager I guess. Looks great, dark amber, with a kinda nice strawberryish & malty note in the aroma - but it’s oh so unsurprisingly watery as fuck with nearly no taste. Less taste than any "homebrew" I’ve tried.

But at least they are doing something different and marginally better, even if it’s borderline redundant. At least some people "up above" are trying to be more "craft-like", and they actually supported homebrewers at their festival some weeks ago, and acknowledging craft is something that Karlovacka never came close to in the past decades, which is certainly an improvement. One can but hope that it’s all not just for show.

Osjecka, on the other hand, released another 4.7% pale lager (read: almost certainly a relabel of Slavonsko), this time for Opca Opasnost - a "popular" Croatian rock band from roughly their region, sponsored by the Croatian Music Channel. On one hand - at least the bottle I had isn’t as tasteless as most Hajduk beers I’ve had this summer - on the other, it’s another bloody pale lager on an oversaturated market.

Macros will be macros.

Good news from Serbia though. A Scottish-run cidery opened near Novi Sad. :)
http://www.scottscider.com/

Travlr
beers 33878 º places 4582 º 12:54 Sat 9/20/2014

Yes! The cider from Novi Sad is delicious. We’re going to visit next week I hope.

Marko
admin
beers 17677 º places 866 º 16:44 Thu 9/25/2014

First commercial IPA brewed in Croatia is on the market - Medvedgrad Fakin IPA. Dry hopped, 7%, 70IBU and a damn good rendition of the style, with only a few small, almost negligible faults they are well aware of. If it sells well, they’ll turn it into a regular fall seasonal - so it had better sell well! :D

MarkoNm
beers 6134 º places 383 º 02:33 Fri 9/26/2014

If anyone is in Ljubljana on the weekend around October 18th, there will be a great even called Pivo & Burger Fest (Beer & Burger). In addition to burgers, there will also be quite some Slovenian craft beers present.

Marko
admin
beers 17677 º places 866 º 06:24 Fri 9/26/2014

Sounds quite interesting :) I’ll consider it.

In any case, the conference this weekend will host 20 kegs of homebrew of various styles (from strong Belgians through funky IPAs to dry stouts)... Zmajska & Nova Runda will be there, Medvedgrad will bring their IPA, HumanFish is coming too, and so are Visibaba and Bošnjak. Fun times!

Several lectures (including one of mine), several guided tastings... can’t wait!