Fake Brews: Dude To Sue WalMart over Fake Craft Beer

Reads 683 • Replies 10 • Started Monday, April 3, 2017 6:01:55 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Good luck to him. Has the potential to be an interesting case with implications to even bigger brewers who market their beer in a way close to craft beer- Blue Moon comes to mind.

Now, if only we could sue anyone who uses the term "suds" to describe beer... (kidding/not kidding)

StefanSD
beers 2451 º places 57 º 09:44 Mon 4/3/2017

Interesting, but I predict a Walmart win here. I can’t imagine the Brewers Association definition of "craft beer" is a legal definition or has any standing. Its not in my Blacks Law Dictionary. Also Walmart can afford top tier lawyers like no else can.

b3shine
beers 10602 º places 354 º 10:37 Mon 4/3/2017

Litigious bullshit. There’s plenty to criticize Walmart about, but this is just plain stupid. If Walmart claimed it came from a microbrewery, he’d probably have a decent case, but "craft" doesn’t mean "micro." And on a related note, the Brewers Association’s interpretation of "craft beer" has about as much meaning in a lawsuit as anyone else’s definition, unless there’s been a case precedent established that I’m unaware of.

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 20:05 Tue 4/4/2017

Maybe don’t try to buy craft beer at Walmart?

I am sick of misleading packaging though. In my liquor store days it was amazing how few people knew Shock Top was made by AB.

Shit, Blue Moon had me fooled back in the day. My dad friggin pointed that out to me, how goddamn embarrassing. Of course he was also the one who said "hey, there’s some craft beer in the fridge" and it was the fucken WALMART BEER.

jtclockwork
beers 19999 º places 551 º 06:16 Sun 6/4/2017

Originally posted by StefanSD
Interesting, but I predict a Walmart win here. I can’t imagine the Brewers Association definition of "craft beer" is a legal definition or has any standing. Its not in my Blacks Law Dictionary. Also Walmart can afford top tier lawyers like no else can.
It’s a class action suit, so likely has a big Plaintiff’s firm involved. I didn’t research it past the article though.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 07:10 Mon 6/5/2017

Ain’t read the link, but heck...wasn’t there some other dude who tried to sue someone over the same thing a year or two ago and....wait for it....lost?

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 07:49 Mon 6/5/2017

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Now, if only we could sue anyone who uses the term "suds" to describe beer... (kidding/not kidding)

"I think a man working outdoors feels more like a man if he can have a bottle of suds. That’s only my opinion."-Andy Dufresne

slowrunner77
beers 17365 º places 500 º 08:26 Mon 6/5/2017

He’s gonna lose, but that shit was horrible.
Split a 12-pack 3 ways, then split my 4-pack with my wife. I doubt one can was finished.

joet
admin
beers 2868 º places 125 º 15:21 Mon 6/5/2017

I know several groups have tried to create some kind of mark. I was involved in a project like this with another beer site and a large craft brewery. To my knowledge no credible mark exists.

cheap
beers 7103 º places 277 º 16:32 Mon 6/5/2017

Some raters think its a decent IPA. If they use RB for evidence, its a no win.