Fake Westvleteren?

Reads 21088 • Replies 65 • Started Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:36:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 22:27 Tue 6/14/2011

so, you have never had a westy and cause it tasted similar to a rochefort, which is its closet comparable beer, you think it was fake? yup, i think that pub went to astronomical lengths to repackage roche as westy and got an extra $8-9 a bottle out of your pocket.

please post this on youtube as a link response to the 9/11 no planes theory video. kthanks.

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 22:33 Tue 6/14/2011

I hope for anyone’s sake that still wants to buy some Westy that the monks don’t hear about this. If they find out that the stringent steps they already take don’t avoid their product being diverted or resold without their knowledge and consent on another continent, I would imagine they’ll make it even harder to obtain.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 23:26 Tue 6/14/2011

Originally posted by RD400F
Well, if you live in Vancouver BC and don’t know already, you can pick up "Westvleteren 12" and "8" at Brewery Creek and Firefly, albeit for astronomical prices.

The question is...are they the real deal?

I threw out $50 like a kid in a candy store yesterday on three bottles...two 12 and one 8, intending to try a 12 and an 8 and cellar the last 12. I whipped a 12 open, poured it into a trappist glass, etc., and wasn’t too impressed.

The reason I say that is because it reminded me of a Rochefort 8 a bit too much. In fact, it made me doubt whether or not it was real because the similarity was way too close for my liking. Not only that, but it seemed to me like it was missing something and it’s...boozy...even though many have mentioned magical transparency. Maybe I’m taking it too literally? If this is the real meal deal, then it’s definitely way over hyped. It’s very nice, but not spectacular.

Anyway, has anyone else here in Vancouver picked one up and tried it, only to come to the same conclusion? I lost sleep because of this.

some batches I had in 2008 bottled conditioned if left to age were not too convincing. I’d rather have it fresh at a brewery. A good friend happens to have it fresh at the moment so I’m saving my bottle for a tastings and will be comparing them. A three year versus a fresh one. The bottles do get heavily oxidised if you age them for a long time. I like the beer but there’s a lot of other stuff from other producers I’d rather drink first.

The blonde drunk fresh is a complete and utter marvel and especially underated. I really need to get back just for that.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 23:29 Tue 6/14/2011

Originally posted by MagicDave6
Its almost certainly a real bottle, cap and bottle are correct, though the bottles change randomly.

Its simply a case of Westy isnt for everyone. Id take any of the rocheforts over the 12 and id take rochefort 6 and 10 over an 8. However the blonde when really fresh is fantastic. I personally dont think Westy is that great because all the flavours are too well balanced and it passes me by without much though, its actually a very dangerous drink, i can do one in a few mins, where as rochefort or orval have layers to them. Which I like and others dont.

I love the cad. Perfect answer as ever.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 23:30 Tue 6/14/2011

Originally posted by CapFlu
We need an Orval-appreciation thread.

wait I missed both annual Orval appreciation days so I need to buy some more. I plan on ordering a csase of Orval and divinng into one a year. Sending it to my dads may help me prevent from caining the case in a week.

robrules
places 1 º 09:52 Thu 6/16/2011

Another fresh is best vote.

And another vote for the awsomeness of the Blond.

ryan
beers 3185 º places 13 º 10:18 Thu 6/16/2011

Originally posted by gunhaver
Originally posted by ryan
the blonde however, is a magical, magical beer that you should be blown away by.

basically ryan just picks the least heralded of the three and hyperbolizes the hell out of it. it’s easy to be ryan.

It must suck needing to be told what you like.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 11:52 Thu 6/16/2011

The thing that cracks me up is that Westy has been perpetuated since the earliest days of this site as the original hyped rare beer. As such, it has maintained it’s score at relatively the same point for 10 years. It would be interesting if there wasn’t already an established score for the beer how it would be doing...

suprchunk
beers 2996 º places 147 º 14:11 Thu 6/16/2011

That is a real bottle and real cap.

What is the date on the cap? The newest batch I got a couple months ago tasted pitiful compared to the other cases I got just a few months earlier. And it was nothing compared to the years-old ones. The latest one tasted like raisin juice. Not sure if they are having issues with the new tanks they supposedly got or not.

XaenDovet
beers 1281 º places 30 º 16:05 Thu 6/16/2011

from vancouver. got 8’s and 12’s.

8 was at most very lack lustre. which isn’t great. the aroma was much better than the taste and wasn’t impressed with appearance at all.

cracked a 12 the other day and was tons better. was very great, and i don’t give a sh*t about hype influencing my reviews. i could’ve stood it to be a bit darker, but the cap was great. oh. don’t bother looking at a posted review. the wonderful ratebeer app on my phone has it.

in any case, i only had the 8 when i first read this thread. was questioning as well. then i had 12, and trois pistol? really? not close. the 8, yes. 12, absolutely not. my rating for 8 is actually on par with what i’d give trois pistol.