First try @ brewing Gueuze. Few questions

Reads 1824 • Replies 16 • Started Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:56:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
07:35 Wed 7/29/2015

Originally posted by Jdizzle1
So a pellicle after just 4-5 weeks could be bad?

Not "could be". "Is". Depends on if what you’re talking about is actually a pellicle, though, and not krausen.

If I were to brew say another gallon of mid strength wort, would that maybe take care of the head space problem?

The head space is not your problem. It is the oxygen permeability of your fermenter. If you brew the extra wort, the fermentation that will ensue by adding it to your beer will help get rid of any oxygen in solution and in the fermenter, but you’ve got to do your best to keep your permeability as low as you can.

Jdizzle1
beers 2 º 07:46 Wed 7/29/2015

The brew is already in a Glass carboy w/ cork and airlock. I just notice a scum starting to form on the surface over the past few days. Getting bigger. Would adding the new batch of wort start fermentation again?

HornyDevil
07:59 Wed 7/29/2015

The brew is already in a Glass carboy w/ cork and airlock. I just notice a scum starting to form on the surface over the past few days. Getting bigger.

This is, very probably, not a pellicle and just residual fermentation occurring by your microbes. You’ll be just fine.

Would adding the new batch of wort start fermentation again?

Yes.

Jdizzle1
beers 2 º 12:03 Wed 7/29/2015

How long should it normally take a pellicle to form if 4-5 weeks is too soon.

GarethYoung
beers 1111 º places 27 º 13:07 Wed 7/29/2015

It depends a bit on the vessel, but ideally you want to see it form as late as possible. I have a strong (over 11%) dark sour that’s now about 3 months old and doesn’t have a pellicle yet.

HornyDevil
13:39 Wed 7/29/2015

Originally posted by GarethYoung
It depends a bit on the vessel, but ideally you want to see it form as late as possible. I have a strong (over 11%) dark sour that’s now about 3 months old and doesn’t have a pellicle yet.

Exactly.

If I don’t rack the beer after primary fermentation has ceased, I won’t get one until one forms in the bottle.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer