Foreclosed Brewery Grains (worth it?)

Reads 559 • Replies 2 • Started Thursday, July 6, 2017 12:05:14 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

johnson12121212
00:05 Thu 7/6/2017

So while I was driving home to Chicago from Detroit I found this brewery that had just been foreclosed on in the middle of the country. The bank who is trying to sell the place just so happened to be giving a tour to a prospective buyer. After he was done he showed me around for a bit and let me know what the plans where for the place, while I don’t have the half a million they want for the place and equipment I came across a massive stockpile of various grains. Around 2500lbs left of unopened bags along with another 500 of opened bags of grains. The place has been out of business for two months now so it’s relatively newer grains.

He gave me his card and told me to make him an offer on said grains. Does anyone have any insight on what would be reasonable? I don’t want to come off as disrespectful but I feel like this real estate agent is just going to pocket what I offer him anyways.

I was hoping to pitch a $0.15 a pound for unopened and 0.07 for opened bags. Does this seem like a little to low? I really know nothing of how they have been stored or really how old they are. I just see a lot of grains that are going to get wasted I could scoop up cheap
Tags: http://otodongvang.vn/xe-tai-hyundai-2-tan-tera-190-1-1-1565014.html, http://toyota-caudien.com/bao-gia-xe-toyota-fortuner-2017/

gregwilsonstl
beers 2979 º places 37 º 06:31 Thu 7/6/2017

As I tell my wife, something on sale isnt a good deal if you dont need that thing.

So before anyone can answer this, do you have a use for 1.5 tons of grain? If you arent a brewer, then Id recommend trying to find a buyer before you buy it. Arbitrage is a beautiful thing.

jbruner
beers 9244 º places 466 º 18:31 Thu 7/6/2017

Originally posted by gregwilsonstl
As I tell my wife, something on sale isnt a good deal if you dont need that thing.

So before anyone can answer this, do you have a use for 1.5 tons of grain? If you arent a brewer, then Id recommend trying to find a buyer before you buy it. Arbitrage is a beautiful thing.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. What are you going to do with this grain?

If it’s cattle feed, that’s too expensive.

If you’re trying to homebrew with it, good luck.

If you are going to flip it, 2-row is going about $0.32 a pound right now in bulk, and specialty is about $0.40 in bulk. The opened bags aren’t probably worth anything but livestock feed unless they were kept very well.